Sticking throttle blade - Common problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

OVERKILL

$100 Site Donor 2021
So, Ford has a TSB on this bloody problem. Applies to the 4.6L, 5.4L and 6.8L Modular engines.

The throttle body gets varnish around the blade, and it starts to stick. As temperatures drop, it gets worse.

It is cold here now. I haven't cleaned the blade since about three oil changes ago (30,000Km roughly) and she's been sticking a lot lately.

Today, on my way home from work, she stuck at two intersections. Nothing like having your 6,000lb SUV going sideways because your gas pedal sticks while you are stopped at the light in the turning lane and when you go to go ahead you have to press a bit harder to get the pedal to move... then it breaks free and BWA-AAAAHHHHHHHHH there she goes! Fun? Yes. But a bit embarrassing when you DON'T mean to act like an idiot, LOL! (look at that retard in the Expedition!).

So, when I got home, out came the AC Delco combustion chamber cleaner (yes mechanicx, I don't hate EVERYTHING GM!) and cleaned the blade and throttle body up. Now it doesn't stick at all. But I find I have to do this a couple times a year.

My parent's is starting to stick too. But this is the first time.... since new. So no where near the same magnitude of an issue with their truck. Once in TEN years? LOL! VS twice a year for me!

The differences would be that their truck has had M1 since it stopped getting the free dealer changes around 100,000Km, whilst ours had ?????? until I bought it. Seems to be worse with M1..... I'm hoping it is the cleaning, LOL! And of course the second difference is that I drive like "Mario Andretti" according to my sister, whilst my dad drives a bit like a Ms. Daisy.

Who else with a Modular has experienced this?

Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL
Who else with a Modular has experienced this?

Over...my FX4 is too new to know, but I had a 1999 F150 and a 1999 Expedition leased new in 1999 (both with 5.4L). I put about 65K on each before turning them back in and did not have any problems with them. Does this only affect certain model years or all of them? Did I understand that you only had this problem with M1 or that M1 solved/slowed the issue from reoccurring?

I wished I can get the stuff still in California - but West Marine has something that is the same but in aerosol form for boat engines... :p

According to the Ford TSB, it is only in low temperatures where this problem happens (which is true, definitely has gotten worse as it has got colder here) and since you are in Texas, I'm doubting it would get cold enough for you to experience it.

I think M1 "cleaning" my engine has released a lot of varnish/junk that gets vaporized and then picked up by the PVC system, where it deposits again but on the back of the throttle blade. I imagine that whenever this "cleaning" is done, that it will lessen or cease.

I also have a fair bit of mileage on the truck (209,000Km; 130,000 miles). So it may take more mileage than you accrued to experience it too.

Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL
I also have a fair bit of mileage on the truck (209,000Km; 130,000 miles). So it may take more mileage than you accrued to experience it too.

Still good information to know - thanks for posting!

Have not noticed it. I started and drove it last week with a initial cylinder head temp of 10F. Not even 50,000, but Ive never cleaned it, either.

Any particular year ranges on said issue? Neither my previous truck (97 F150 with the 4.6 - 163,000 miles when sold) or my current truck, 99 F150 with the 4.6 and 192,000 miles have ever had this issue. The '99 had the annoying IAC issue in cold weather that was resolved by replacing it.

OVERK1LL- Are you aware of the older 4.9L I-6 having that problem? I'm wondering if that could part of my occasional surge and stumble problem with my 4.9L 5 speed stick combo.

Thanks!

My wife's 98 Monte Carlo w/3800 V6 was having that sticking problem. I had been using Exxon fuels mostly. I read where Exxon was NOT a Top Tier fuel, but the nearby Phillips 66 station was a Top Tier fuel. I switched over to Phillips 66 and the problem disappeared after running just one tankful. Never went back to Exxon! When the Phillips 66 station later changed to Marathon, not a Top Tier fuel, I switched again to Shell, listed as Top Tier. Never had any problems with Shell either. I saw where Exxon is now listed as Top Tier, but after my previous experience, I'm still reluctant to buy Exxon. I'm a believer in the Top Tier fuel program. What fuels have you been using?

At one time, Ford used to have special coating on the throttle plate. There were warnings about using random carb cleaner to clean the throttle. I wonder if previous owner has damaged the coating.

Originally Posted By: pcoxe
My wife's 98 Monte Carlo w/3800 V6 was having that sticking problem. I had been using Exxon fuels mostly. I read where Exxon was NOT a Top Tier fuel, but the nearby Phillips 66 station was a Top Tier fuel. I switched over to Phillips 66 and the problem disappeared after running just one tankful. Never went back to Exxon! When the Phillips 66 station later changed to Marathon, not a Top Tier fuel, I switched again to Shell, listed as Top Tier. Never had any problems with Shell either. I saw where Exxon is now listed as Top Tier, but after my previous experience, I'm still reluctant to buy Exxon. I'm a believer in the Top Tier fuel program. What fuels have you been using?

Petro-Canada and Shell. Both Top Tier.

Originally Posted By: Vikas
At one time, Ford used to have special coating on the throttle plate. There were warnings about using random carb cleaner to clean the throttle. I wonder if previous owner has damaged the coating.

I don't THINK that applies to this vehicle? The TSB tells the Ford mechanic to use something like carb cleaner to clean the blade and TB, LOL! Unless they have a specially formulated spray that is designed not to damage the coating?

Originally Posted By: Vikas

+1 my f150 300-6 1995 had this warning IIRC. Twin blades for 2x the fun. But no sticking.

Wife's first saturn, a 96 SL, had this pretty bad, so I rerouted the PCV system to a vent filter and not the intake upstream of the throttle. Helped some. But some of it is oily fumes coming out whatever intake valve is open and getting the BACKSIDE of the blade. What can you do?
21.gif

I have also had luck adjusting the throttle stop screw open a little more (against paranoid OE wishes), so less air goes through the ISC passage and more around the blade, keeping it clean.

There's a revised PCV kit mentioned in another TSB mentioning this issue. I may look into purchasing it.

PCV Service Kit 1L3Z-6A603-AA

I'll have to have my buddy check TSB for my 88 4.9L E-150. I know they had a TB gasket upgrade which I used.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back