Which Snow Blower Does Everyone Like ??

Status
Not open for further replies.
my friend is looking for a snow blower for her house she has a driveway that can fit 14 cars and a 125 foot sidewalk what snowblower would everyone like.. maybe a 5 or 6 hp or something with a durable quick starting engine...

NJ we usually get a few 6"-8" storms each year, every once in a while we can get a foot+ but not often.

I live near you, and you probably get more wet snow vs. the powdery stuff like I do. If it were the powdery stuff then a 5hp would be fine.
I had a 5hp and the chute kept getting clogged from the heavy wet snow. I sold it for a 9.5hp model and it has the power to clear the chute when the snow it moist. Snowblowers are one of those tools that can never be too powerful. Mine is a Craftsman with a 9.5hp Tecumseh on it. Beware of Craftsman now because they are using chineese knock offs. Ariens and John Deere make a nice machine.

Snowblowers have more to them than the engine. Look for the thickness of steel used and the quality of the controls. Stay away from the gimmicky ones that offer headlights and hand warmers. Thats just more to break IMHO. Heres a recent thread on snowblowers

Last edited:
Simplicity, Ariens, Toro, Honda. Which ever you can buy of equal class for the least cost.

You might as well rule out the Honda right now. They're ridiculously expensive.

How much does she want to spend? Can she handle a 2-stage machine? Would she be able to manage a 4-stroke or 2-stroke engine? There's a whole lot to consider! She may like something along the lines of a Toro Power Clear. They're lighter to handle and yet still do a good job.

Joel

Large frame snowblowers and small women don't get along very well.

The hydro model, 8hp and up are the best for the job you described.
The smaller, 7hp and under, are built cheap and light.
Even some of the newer 8hp are going to the lighter frames.

The top line stuff has some bells and whistles now a days. Heated grips, lights, electric start, 'power steering', etc....

Of course, that stuff costs plenty.

My 2¢

Originally Posted By: dwendt44

The hydro model, 8hp and up are the best for the job you described.

The only hydrostatic drive models on the market are Honda that I'm aware. Thing is, you're talking $600-800 vs. over $2K for a Honda. The rest are all rubber friction wheel drive, which isn't a bad thing at all.

Joel

I bought my 1st snow blower in 1997 or 1998. It is a Yard Machine with a Techumsa( SP? )5HP motor. Got it at Home Depot for $400. Can't kill the thing. The motor runs as good as the day I bought it and starts on the 1st pull year after year and time after time. Nothing but an oil change and new spark plug each year. Well, that and shear pins and a few belts that have broken but nothing with the engine.

The body is going to rot away before the engine dies. I keep saying I am replacing it this year before it dies and strands me mid winter but every fall when I get it ready the engine starts right up and purrs like new and I think I can squeak another year out of it. My brother keeps trying to get me to buy a new one and sell him this one for $150.
grin.gif

I highly recommend the Techumsa motors. Best small engine I have ever had.

Last edited:
Though when it comes to lawnmowers i dont like MTD products, but for a snow thrower theyre good, MTD makes many brands Cub Cadet, Yard Machienes, Troy Built, id opt for a 2 stage

Originally Posted By: DaHen
Been happy with a John Deere TRS26 for the past sixteen years.

Is your JD a re-branded Ariens or Simplicity. As far as I know, they were the two main suppliers for JD snow throwers.

I like Toro as an overall brand much more than Ariens, but my only Toro experience is with mowers. In fact, I don't think we've ever had a Toro snow blower in our shop before, so I can't say much about them.

We have gotten a couple brand new Ariens Sno-Teks and Sno-Thros in for pre-delivery setup and inspection though. They seem to be pretty well made. The mid to large size Sno-Thros (orange paint) definitely seem much sturdier than their smaller Sno-Tek (black paint) counterparts, so if it's in the budget I'd go that route.

I have two Yamahas one a 6/24 and another called A Ricky. Both incredible machines really like the Ricky smooth and very quite.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: boraticus
Is your JD a re-branded Ariens or Simplicity. As far as I know, they were the two main suppliers for JD snow throwers.

Don't really know which brand is involved.
21.gif

Do ya know of any way to tell? The secret is possibly in the serial number.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back