Cut Open: Fram Xtended Guard XG8A [11k mi.]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fram XG8A with 11,315 miles using Rotella T6 5w-40. From a 1997 dodge caravan 3.3L.

15f6is0.jpg

e801hu.jpg

I like the seal that the bypass valve seats on:

2zemtl4.jpg

Last edited:
Great filter! I choose this filter over the Mobil 1 and K&N, and have money left over for a combo meal at McDonald's.

Thanks for that post T4L!!

Fram did it right with the Extended Guard and hopefully they keep it that way.

I'm glad I'm using it and often considered using it solely if it weren't for the combo specials that include a K&N or Mobil 1 with oil that I buy.

I also use this filter.. I do like the oil change specials, but then again I don't save a huge amount of money compared to going to walmart picking up whatever oil I choose, and the Fram XG, and running either a 13k OCI on synthetic, or ~20k OCI back to back conventional

great pictures thanks

Yep, well made filter. I agree with rclint, if dino run it two OCIs to get your money's worth.

i think you could have doubled that mileage and the filter wouldnt have looked any different. those are amazing filters, ill be cutting open (and posting pics) of 2 more when spring comes..

I might actually consider trying one of these...never thought I'd consider buying a Fram!

Yep, shows what Honeywell/Fram capable of, other than spending money marketing 3x, 6x better and high mileage gimmick filters.

Part of the design I hadn't noticed previously, like their other filters, the bypass is separate not integrated. That would be different than other dome end bypass metal endcap designs. Makes sense from the standpoint of not having to use a different bypass design from their other filters.

For ~$9, if I regularly ran 10+k OCI's, the XG would be considered. As for running it 2 5k OCI's, I'd rather run 2 new P1's for less money. But that's just me.

Thanks for the pics.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back