Fram PH16 - Cut Open

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here are a few pictures taken of a Fram ExtraGuard PH16 (OCOD to some). It was on a 2000 Dodge Durango for about 3000 miles - unsure of the timeline (not my vehicle). It certainly doesn't look the best. ADBV was still holding.

IMG_0655.JPG

IMG_0656.JPG

IMG_0657.JPG

IMG_0659.JPG

What a joke!!! come on FRAM-0-death look at how well the end caps look nice and uniformed,,think any bypassing was going on?

compare this thing to your BOSCH in your other thread, what one would you run??

Originally Posted By: daman

No kidding! For all I know, it was sending unfiltered oil through. I replaced the filter with a P1 and Rotella T6 oil.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: ABerns

No kidding! A big worry is that it almost looks like the bypass isn't seated tight against the filter. So for all I know, it was sending unfiltered oil through. I replaced the filter with a P1 and Rotella T6 oil.

It probably was!!!

i see problems all over with this filter but not taking the time to comment on it,just avoid them!! there's better out there.

wow... umm I thought fiber end caps were suppose to have structural integrity?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Texan4Life

Yea,,look at the second/third pic down the base end cap, see how the oil flow was forcing it's self past the end cap and warping it?,,restrictive.

Quote:
Yes sir, everyone knows every bit as good as the metal endcap filter construction like the Puro's.
31.gif

Thanks for posting. Need to check the price of the orange can PH16 at Wally. Absolutely only for information purposes.

That's just terrible. I suspect the fram 'design' becomes more and more a liability as the filter dimensions get bigger. The smaller ones I've opened have looked great, however they had much tighter and evenly spaced pleats. Where was it made?

Each application is different, and I would not run another Fram in this one.

How can Fram make one filter like the one above, and another exact same spec filter like this one:

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2090250

Notice the perfectly straight end caps on the Microguard and evenly spaced pleats. Something isn't right for the media and end caps to warp like that. I'd like to see a filter with metal end caps used in this app and see what the media looks like after the same interval.

Originally Posted By: webfors
How can Fram make one filter like the one above, and another exact same spec filter like this one:

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2090250

Notice the perfectly straight end caps on the Microguard and evenly spaced pleats. Something isn't right for the media and end caps to warp like that. I'd like to see a filter with metal end caps used in this app and see what the media looks like after the same interval.

That filter looks just like every other "orange can" I've ever cut open. Its probably even still filtering OK, it just doesn't inspire confidence. Nor does cutting one open and finding sections of the pleating separated from the end cap.

A P1 or Wix in that application would look perfect. Been there, done that.

whoa! any chance of ALOT of moisture getting in that oil? i had a slow coolant leak that deformed some filters, but nothing that bad...

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 440Magnum

Perfect? really? maybe you can explain why the media on this P1 I pull off is all beat up after 3,000 miles. Give it more time and miles, I wouldn't be surprise it would look worse. Looks at the Microguard in the other thread. It looks great.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2021384&page=1

Originally Posted By: Silver02ex

Perfect? really? maybe you can explain why the media on this P1 I pull off is all beat up after 3,000 miles. Give it more time and miles, I wouldn't be surprise it would look worse. Looks at the Microguard in the other thread. It looks great.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2021384&page=1

It was recommended already by a few you could have had moisture problems thats what happen most likely.

moisture will do that to ANY filter except synthetic wire backed.

Originally Posted By: Silver02ex

It was recommended already by a few you could have had moisture problems thats what happen most likely.

moisture will do that to ANY filter except synthetic wire backed.

That's my point... That's what I think happened with this filter. I was trying to prove that by having a Pure One or Wix won't show perfect result.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: webfors

I'd like to see a filter with metal end caps used in this app and see what the media looks like after the same interval.

It may have a coolant issue. It didn't see too many short trips (that I know of), which worries me having a filter still like that.

I have a P1 on there now. Next time he needs a change, I'll do it and cut open the P1. We can compare!

Quote:
That's my point... That's what I think happened with this filter. I was trying to prove that by having a Pure One or Wix won't show perfect result.
The P1 results, while less than perfect appearance, is not near the 'fail' of the endcaps/media of the OP's orange can. To say otherwise would be false. It's the difference between some wavy, but functioning media (P1), and a what looks to be close to collapsed filter media and endcaps (functioning?) As said, it's the difference in structural integrity between attached metal endcaps and fiber.

In seemingly less than perfect conditions I know which I want to use, why change for all conditions? Especially true when I can get metal endcap design for less money than the orange can?
21.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back