2007 XC90 v8

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

Anyone have any experience with the xc90 6-speed and using amsoil atf, Redline D4 ATF. Or do most people just stick with the Mobil 3309.

All are JWS3309 certified, just tentative to use something that is not stock as they are expensive transmissions.

Thanks

Originally Posted By: Saab9-3
All are JWS3309 certified

Technically, no. Amsoil and Red Line recommend their fluids for that spec, but they don't hold the actual certification.

Just FYI.

Many people including myself have gone away from mobil 3309 in favor of Redline D4 and Amsoil with very favorable results. 3309 is a fairly pathetic ATF. The real question is are you still under warranty? If so, stick with the factory fluid for the time being as was mentioned,as amsoil and redline aren't certified under 3309.

Keep in mind I do not own a xc90 6 speed, but will assume a transmission spec'd for the 3309 would perform well with a recommended fluid as well.

Last edited:
Thanks for the quick replies.

It is not under warranty anymore. I am just changing all the fluids so I have a fresh start as I do not know when they were last changed.

Between the redline and the amsoil any difference? I use redline oils in my saab (engine/gearbox) and have had great results. Never used Amsoil though.

thanks

Originally Posted By: d00df00d
Originally Posted By: Saab9-3
All are JWS3309 certified

Technically, no. Amsoil and Red Line recommend their fluids for that spec, but they don't hold the actual certification.

Just FYI.

I am aware of that, and my post makes it seem like they are certified.

Personally I prefer Redline. My reasoning comes from using it going on about 18years from race cars to daily drivers. It is also a POE based oil which amsoil is not and is GL-4 rated. I have used RL D4 in a few T-IV applications with stellar results. It also works very well in any power steering system spec'd for a DEX III fluid. Either way, make sure you do a cooler line exchange and not just a pan drop. This way you will get most of the old fluid out and be able to get a good read on how the new synthetic fluid is performing.

Last edited:
Great info, I am still deciding on what I am going to put in. Although i run Redline in my other vehicle, I am tentative to run anything but oem fluid. I know this is silly thinking, I guess my concern is having to replace a $4000 transmission.

I can relate to what you are saying. I am staying with WS in my lexus and doing 15-20k drain and fills because like you i dont want to have to replace a $3-4000 tranny. It shifts great with WS. The service life isnt that of some other synthetics, but im reluctant to switch due to skepticism of non approved fluids. Im not this way with my tacoma, but its about half the value of my lexus.

I have used Redline D4 for 80K in a 2006 S60R that have the same trans as your XC90, still shifts perfect.
And for 60K in a 2004 V70R that uses the same friction material as your trans.
After The V70R was tuned (at 2500rpm the tune ads 106 hp and 117 ft-lbs. at the wheels) the 3309 fluid turned black in 10K.
When I switch to the Redline D4 the fluid stayed clear and bright red for the same interval.
I also use a Magnefine filter on the cooler return line.
Both cars shift slightly firmer with the D4.

By firmer I mean quicker more positive shifts, not really harder. I believe this is from the quick sheering that happens to the 3309 fluid.

The TF 80 SC has a line pressure sensor so when the fluid shears down it reduces the signal voltage back to the TCU it in turn raises the line pressure until the sensor voltage rises back to the programmed value. This is to compensate for different fluid viscosity, as good as this sounds these transmissions seems to like a higher viscosity fluid.

Volvo has a diagnostic tool that shows the torque converter lockup and I used it to make sure that the difference in HFM did not cause any shudder with the Redline D4.

I would not hesitate to switch to Redline or Amsoil fluid, I think this is a upgrade to the Volvo or Mobil 3309 fluid. I recommend a inline filter to.

By the way the 2011 Gen. II TF 80 SC switched to WS fluid however his trans uses a totally different valve body.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back