Adding Chevron Techron BEFORE oil change???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay is it necessary to change out the oil after adding Techron or other Fuel injector/system cleaner?

I see some say that the cleaner dumps unburnt fueal and "dirt" into the oil and others ay it is impossible as they are 2 SEPERATE systems

What's the final say on this?

Use IAW the instructions; I don't believe there is any mention of an oil change.

They are not "totally" separate systems. Combustion byproducts, fuel and dirt all end up in the oil, the source being the combustion chamber.

I ALWAYS run the fuel system cleaners Before the change. Anything that is cleaned off of the cylinders and what not ends up in the oil. I'm sure It doesn't have to be done this way but I do it.

I do use MMO sometimes during the interval for its UCL capabilities. Some on here say it is not a good UCL Lube but I think it works well.
49.gif

For many years I added FI cleaner without changing my oil. Then I joined BITOG and started doing it before an oil change. There are no specific instructions mentioning changing oil after using FI cleaner so it probably doesn't matter much. The Redline people told me it didn't matter when I changed the oil if I was using their cleaner.

Chevron gas has Techron, not as concentrate, and it doesn't cause any harm to engines. No need to change oil after using a bottle of Techron in a gas tank, but it still is a good idea to use a bottle of Techron before changing oil.

It was also from this BITOG that I heard to add any type of gas cleaner just before an oil change. I always assumed that it was because a little fuel does often get into the oil. However, that infinitesimal amount of fuel would have an even smaller amount of the cleaner and so I don't know if it is truly necessary.

I had done this in my one car right before oil change.

However, I had an oil analysis just by chance both before and after the techron. No difference.

Obviously they could vary by car.

I might still always do it just before oil change, just out of habit.

Last edited:
Hi,
RegDunlop - I can only speak about Techron which I have used exclusively for some decades. Always use it as directed of course is the sensible advice I can offer you

I have never had any of my UOA's affected by the use of Techron

It is a great product - an "original" from the 1970s

The idea from the fuel system cleaner companies was to use their product every 3000 miles. The idea from the oil companies was to change your oil every 3000 miles. So you can see that using cleaners and changing your oil could go hand in hand. I seriously doubt it makes much difference, but I add it 2 tank fulls before I change the oil. Seafoam sucked into the intake is a little different. I would definitely change the oil within 100 miles of putting a can in the engine and letting it soak on the pistons.

Originally Posted By: Loobed

The idea from the fuel system cleaner companies was to use their product every 3000 miles. The idea from the oil companies was to change your oil every 3000 miles. So you can see that using cleaners and changing your oil could go hand in hand. I seriously doubt it makes much difference, but I add it 2 tank fulls before I change the oil. Seafoam sucked into the intake is a little different. I would definitely change the oil within 100 miles of putting a can in the engine and letting it soak on the pistons.

+1

I like this wording/method by Loobed.

+ 1.
Some fuel system or injector cleaners have recommendatons that the oil be changed after their use, while others do not.
It probably wouldn't cause any harm either way.
Still, I always use a cleaner in the last tank prior to an oil change when I use one.
Habit, or good practice?

Back in the day I would just pour it in and drive.

Fast forward to now, and I'm a little more anal about stuff like that. Now I would run it a tank or two before changing the oil. But really, no harm done just dumping it in with most brands I would assume.

Pretty rare though, I think I dump a bottle in every 50,000 or so.

Sure, some "unburned fuel" (and accompanying cleaner) may get in the oil, but your quality oil should be able to "suspend" the cleaning agents within the oil to be drained when you are ready to drain......

I guess I can understand the point of changing the oil after using FI cleaner, but is it really necessary? Not really.....IMHO...

People run "cleaners" in their crank cases all the time :p Can't be much different, could it?
smile.gif

Mind you, if you take some good high way runs (5+ miles at 50+ mph) - any possible "fuel" getting into the oil should get burned off...now if you are "running rich" (CEL, or faulty o2 sensor that hasn't triggered yet? heh) - that may be an "exception".....

Originally Posted By: CBR.worm
I run the fuel system cleaner through my last tank of gas before an oil change. Habit I guess.

Same for me. I do it a tank or two before the change. Makes it easy for me to remember and just in case it does "put" anything into the oil, it gets changed out soon. I guess for me it is just a safer bet.

Just did a fill with TECHRON ( 12 ounce ) and VALERO 89 ( winter blend ) before the oil change that was done earlier today with 5w-30 PENNZOIL conventional SN GF-5 along with TOYO oil filter for the 2008 YARIS sedan w/ auto . The car returned 41.04 m.p.g. ( 376.8 mis. / 9.18 gals. ) . Figure to be a good idea to do both since the head cylinder gasket replacement .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back