2006 Tundra, M1 5W-30EP, Royal Purple Filter w/PC

Status
Not open for further replies.
webfors,

OK - I emailed Blackstone asking if it's possible they accidentally analyzed the wrong sample for the particle count portion of the tests. I will let you all know what they say.

Originally Posted By: btanchors
webfors,

OK - I emailed Blackstone asking if it's possible they accidentally analyzed the wrong sample for the particle count portion of the tests. I will let you all know what they say.

cool... looking forward to it!

Royal Purple makes great products, no doubt in my mind and the reason why I use them. The bigger message from this UOA should be that using a $15 filter(Royal Purple)versus using a $6 filter(PureOne) resulted in same/similar wear analysis in a UOA.

Last edited:
If your 10k UOA backs the particle counts, then that filter has some serious top notch media.

And then, you can give the TRD or Fram X2/XG a run.

Oh what a difference a re-run test makes!

The Royal Purple now goes from being by far the best filter to being near the bottom of the tests so far. I think it is clear the initial test for the Particle Counts were from the wrong sample, or something else went wrong (Blackstone wasn't sure). At any rate, they re-ran the tests. Below is the corrected report. Sorry to disappoint you all.

2010_October_Tundra_Oil_Reports_v2.jpg

I figured it was too good to be true! Still a good filter.. just no better than the others you used.

Well,it was worse than the others,just as BT states. I looked at the RP at Pep Boys and they did not look as good,or as fresh stock,as the M1's I looked at,for comparison.

Originally Posted By: FZ1
Well,it was worse than the others,just as BT states. I looked at the RP at Pep Boys and they did not look as good,or as fresh stock,as the M1's I looked at,for comparison.

I can understand why the stock didn't look fresh since its a pricey filter plus more people would opt for M1 filters since people are brand loyal and M1 filter in most every auto parts store.
What I don't understand is how you can say that it did not look as good. I have held both filters in my hand at once. First thing I noticed is how much heavier the RP filter was compared to M1. I could actually flex the metal case of the M1 filter just a tiny bit but in RP's case, there was zero play to it. RP advertizes this as well.

I thought I'd bump this thread by adding a little more info for comparison. It's an oil sample and particle count done last year on one of my farm tractors at 98 hours. The filter is nowhere near the efficiency of any of the ones tested, plus it's a very tired diesel. 98 hours is the rough equivalent of 5-6K miles.

The UOA
Neuss D358 diesel, 98 hours on R-T 15W40, Wix 51768 Filter (rated at 25u Nominal),
8251 hrs on engine.
Note: Metals are in MG/L not PPM!

Soot- 0.814
Oxidation- 21.9
Nitration- 10.3
TBN- 11.24
Fuel Dilution- 0.09
Visc- 15.72
Iron- 18
Chrome- 2
Lead- 1
Copper- 2
Aluminum- 3
Silicon- 1
Sodium-1
Potassium- 8
Boron- 28
Calcium- 2350
Zinc- 1272
Phosphorus- 971
Magnesium- 7
Sulphur- 3842

Particle Count
Note: Listed by size in counts/100mL

4-6u- 20,699,202/mL
6-14u- 2,869,403/mL
14-21u- 46,838/mL
21-38u- 1,695/mL
38-70u- 0
>70u- 0
ISO Code- 25/22/16

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but MG/L = PPM !!!
Look at that diesel soot particle count!!!

Originally Posted By: unDummy
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but MG/L = PPM !!!
Look at that diesel soot particle count!!!

Yes you are correct as usual mg/L=mg/kg=ppm(H20 density as norm is 1kg/L). Yes those particle counts are off the charts. The only one that would really bug me is "21-38u- 1,695/mL". From what I have been told by the highly touted individual here that may remain nameless is that anything above 25um increases wear 4 fold. So I would love to know the particle count for anything above 25um rather than 21-38um.

Last edited:
Of course mg/L= ppm but I wanted to make that clear but all I did is make it sound goofy. ( : < /)

The point I wanted to open up to discussion is that if you didn't see the particle count, you'd think, "Oh, that's a decent UOA!" and go happily about your business. Many engine are running around in just the same sort of shape. Pretty normal and that engine has gone almost 8300 hours that way.

On the other hand, I share your heebee-jeebees at the numbers. I've got some other particle counts that I can't publish just yet, on other engines, showing counts that follow the filtration efficiency pretty well, as the test published by btanchors. On mine. look at how the particles drop off radically around the nominal rating of the filter, 25u. At least one of them, and possibly this one, will be getting a bypass filter and we'll see.

As for the soot number, 0.8 % is pretty good. The usual universal condemnation is 3-4 % with 2.5 % the cautionary level. FYI, at 45 hours, the soot level was 0.680 %.

Here are some results I can release.

Racor LFS, 569 elapsed miles, Ford 6.9L diesel
The oil had two years and 1682 miles on it for the "before" test.

Before/After

ISO Code 18/15 16/13

Particles >2 Micron- 4393 1250
Particles >5 Micron- 1627 463
Particles >10 Micron- 450 129
Particles >15 Micron- 174 49
Particles >25 Micron- 41 11
Particles > 50 Micron- 4 1
Particles > 100 Micron-0 0

The Racor LFS is their old system, rated at 7u nominal. The new ABS system is tighter, with a choice of 3, 5 and 10u absolute elements.

Originally Posted By: deven
Originally Posted By: FZ1

I can understand why the stock didn't look fresh since its a pricey filter plus more people would opt for M1 filters since people are brand loyal and M1 filter in most every auto parts store.
What I don't understand is how you can say that it did not look as good. I have held both filters in my hand at once. First thing I noticed is how much heavier the RP filter was compared to M1. I could actually flex the metal case of the M1 filter just a tiny bit but in RP's case, there was zero play to it. RP advertizes this as well.
Lot of discoloration on the RP metal and the RP had 4 small metal flaps around the center tube,whereas,the Mobil 1 was shiney new and smooth,without the crude metal flaps.

If you're asking me (the OP), I will be drawing a sample soon from this engine, with roughly a 10,000 mile interval using Amsoil Signature Series 5W-30. I'm not doing particle counts anymore, but do plan on both TBN and TAN results. I expect this to be posted in about one month from now.

I know this is an old thread but I would like to bring up a point that some may find interesting. I have personally performed some soil analysis for road and building construction where we use sieves to determine the different size particles in a given soil sample. When testing with sieves, the higher the number, the greater the retained weight above that particle size. From my perspective, the filters with higher numbers are showing that they have retained more particles than the filters with lower numbers. Meaning, the lower number filters could possibly have more pass through and less retention.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back