2010 Infiniti EX35 -- Nissan Ester Oil 5w30

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pulled a sample when I was at my folks' house last weekend. It has about 2200 miles on it, next change is due about 1400 miles later. UOA looks "okay" but for the price this stuff doesn't seem that amazing. It's my mom's car. I've convinced my dad to switch to Castrol 0w30 in it.

Also, their report has a typo -- this is the VQ35HR, not the DE. 297hp.

nissan_ester_uoa.png

It's this...$11/qt at the Nissan dealership, $18/qt at Infinti:
7589.jpg

The price of this stuff seems outragious, especially for an oil that is not even synthetic, or is it? Do the Nissan dealers put the hard sell on you to use this?

No. The Infiniti dealership didn't put any pressure on my folks at all. In fact, when my dad told him it was cheaper at Nissan he was just like "meh, whatever."

I read that the ester is just a small % of a common friction modifier, NOT one of the type of esters used as base oils in high-end synthetics.

Looks good for an engine still breaking in. I agree that there are better oils for the money.

I'm sorry, but that oil is complete garbage.

$12-$18/quart for a syn-blend 5W-30, that shears WELL into the 20-weight range in less than 2500 miles? Yeah, it's got a TON of moly...but that's ALL it has going for it!

Gimme a break - any SM/SN conventional will do better than this!

Yep. It was worth a shot, no real harm done. German Castrol goes in next. My mom isn't much of a leadfoot so I'm not terribly worried.

So $11 at nissan and $18 for the EXACT SAME oil at the Infiniti dealership?

I can understand a $1 or $2 markup but $7?! for the exact same ----?!
Sounds like a Complete Ripoff!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Infiniti will just tell you that dealers are free to charge what they wish. They probably figure they can squeeze Infiniti buyers more since their cars are inherently more expensive.

Regardless, not worth $11/qt. $5.50/qt? Maybe.

Check with the dealer for warranty compliance and buy a warranty compliant oil at WM and take it to the dealer for the change. That's what I do.

Nissan is very lax, just needs to be API SM or better. My Dad has the dealer do the changes anyways.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back