Oil for a 1970 Dodge Challenger RT 440?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Bluestream
What temperatures will you be running this in?

Just Spring, Summer and Fall. Say 40 Fahrenheit to 100 Fahrenheit. No Winter use because of the Salt on the roads.

Not enough info. The engine must have been rebuilt. What pistons, clearances, cam. springs, etc? Any track time expected? How will it be driven? No need for 50W if your situation doesnt demand it. RTS 5-40 is a good start - even M1 HM10w-30 may do well or Rotella T5. Or even John Deere Turfguard 10w-30 for its high ZDDP levels.

Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
Not enough info. The engine must have been rebuilt. What pistons, clearances, cam. springs, etc? Any track time expected? How will it be driven? No need for 50W if your situation doesnt demand it. RTS 5-40 is a good start - even M1 HM10w-30 may do well or Rotella T5. Or even John Deere Turfguard 10w-30 for its high ZDDP levels.

Cant he add a 1/8th quart of that Rislone ZDDP additive to any Oil? Like PYB 10W-40?

Originally Posted By: goneflyfishin
What oil weight and type would you recommend for street and highway use?

Nice Mopar! I've got a 69 Road Runner myself.

Well, you could play the guessing game as to what viscosity will work best for your given application or you could install an oil temp gauge AND oil pressure gauge. What you're looking for is 9-to-10 PSI per 1000 RPMs and no less than 45PSI at idle. So about 45-to-65PSI operating range in an old mechanically sound Mopar would be about right.

Some people love to see the oil pressure gauge pegged at 80PSI at start up, and I know some of these people, but still can't convenience them to go with a less thick viscosity.

If a 40 grade is the oil that works best, I'd go with 5W-40 Synthetic. But more than likely a 10W-30 HDEO, preferably synthetic, will give you everything you need.

Also, a PAO synthetic is proven to withstand increased fuel dilution if the carburetor is running a little too rich, something to consider.

A 10W-30 or 10W-40 will work just fine in the big block MOPAR in your local. Look for soemthing with a lot of ZDDP as others have said. Something like RP or Brad Penn comes to mind. Ran RP SL rated oil in a 383 MOPAR and it did well.

Brad Penn Racing oil makes a 10w-30 semi synthetic. It has 1500 ppm Zinc and Phosphorus. If you can find it in the store, $4 ish per quart. Go to a car cruise and these guys all rave about it. I used M1 15w-50 in my 65 Mustang, but there was too much rapping at idle and cold starts. The 10w-30 quieted it all down. I only put 500 miles a year onit as it is a pristine all original car with 5ok miles, so I can't speak of UOA's etc - just doesn't make sense in my case.

Brad Penn is a good choice. Again, tractor/mower oil meeting at least API SH/SJ will be fine and have near "racing" levels of zddp. John Deere sells the highest quality oil on the market next to Royal Dutch Shell. I love you guys think the Label on the front means anything. Its just advertising and product diversification with same stocks. "Oh I cant put "lawnmower oil in my car ... I have a CAR!'
smile.gif
Anybody tell you that passenger car oil is the weakest stuff out there?

Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite

Roughly, what would be the ZDDP for the John Deere Turfguard 10W30?

Thanks for all the replies so far!

Go to Canadian Tire and buy Rotella 'T5' 0W-40.

It's SJ rated, so nice high ZN/P, thick enough for the engine, but thin renough to flow well, and well-priced, especially if you get it on sale!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back