Best oil for my 2000 Porsche Boxster s

Status
Not open for further replies.
2000 Boxster just purchased. Am not familiar with Boxster S. Original fill was Mobil 0w40. Cost is of no consequence. Car only has 19,500 miles and the oil has only been changed twice that I can gather. I hear Porsche mechanics say not to continue with Mobil 0w40 but to change possibly to a 5w40 full synthetic. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Originally Posted By: Blazer
2000 Boxster just purchased. Am not familiar with Boxster S. Original fill was Mobil 0w40. Cost is of no consequence. Car only has 19,500 miles and the oil has only been changed twice that I can gather. I hear Porsche mechanics say not to continue with Mobil 0w40 but to change possibly to a 5w40 full synthetic. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Royal Purple 5W-40. Quieter than M1! Great performance, too. May make it real real smooth!

Nothing "Wrong" with M1 0W-40 just RP seems to be smoother. Surely, thats good.

Hi.

Honestly, it all depends on what kind of driving you do. Whether you go fully synthetic, synthetic blend, or mineral/conventional, I'm confident that all the oils made by the supermajors and well-known names are up to the task.

As long as you go with the correct viscosity, and whatever is recommended in your owner's manual, then that's a good place to start with and stick with.

In my opinion, it is not as productive as it seems to ask people for their opinion on which oils to choose because each one has their own preference. No offense of course!

I suggest that you look at the various oil analysis online for your generation Porsche and see if you can make some trends between them. I'm pretty sure the oils will do the job. The discrepancies and variations between analysis are due to the environment, the driving style, and the condition of the car's internal components.

Have fun! Nice car. I really like the Boxster.

Originally Posted By: Blazer

My BIL bought a pristine 1999 Boxster with ~9,000 miles in late 2004. The factory fill was a Mobil 1 5W-40 Euro oil and still in @ ~9,000 miles. He had Terry Dyson analyze it and it was still fine, I think it's still on this site. However he put in Mobil 1 15W-50, a big mistake for that engine. He did change to Mobil 1 0W-40, and all is good now. I think Mobil 1 0W-40 is now factory fill for the Boxter if not the entire US Porsche line.

Whimsey

kmart.jpg

I would like to move on from the factory fill since the warranty is up. Would you think the Motul 300v 5w 40 be overkill. I definately won't be racing I would just to prefer to put a [censored] good oil in and keep it that way so I can enjoy this thing for the next 10 years..

Originally Posted By: Kyk noord en
Originally Posted By: Audi Junkie
I believe there are better oils available than Mobil 1 0w-40.
Helps if you name some of them.

+1, and Names: Royal Purple 5W-40. Not too thick, and silky smooth.

If he doesnt want to go use something Purple put in Redline 0W-40.

M1 0W-40 should be a STARTING POINT Oil for that car. Not a "Bad" oil but he said he wants something different.
21.gif

In my old 2000 Boxster S, I switched from M1 0w40 to redline 5w40 and immediately noticed the engine ran quieter, seemed to rev more freely, and cranked over faster when starting. The UOA I did on the M1 0w40 looked acceptable to me at an 8700 mile OCI.

A couple things to think about on this model:

1) check under right rear carpet in trunk for coolant leakage. Puddles here or on ground by back tire (right side) indicate a cracked expansion tank which is a common problem, or possibly a failed cap which can happen on the old model expansion tank caps.

2) the 3 radiators collect a lot of gunk (with only 19k maybe you don't have that much though). Pressure washing them can make your car run cooler.

3) Watch for oil leakage (not usage, this engine uses some oil and is normal) under the motor which can indicate a failing rear main seal which is another common problem.

4) This year seems to fair better with the intermediate shaft failures. There was a recent post where an owner said that a squeal can indicate a weeping intermediate shaft seal (as I recall, do a search the thread was created within the last month)

Also you can do a cool mod by putting a piece of scotch tape on post #18 on the convertible top relay(there are photos on internet). This lets you open the top while moving (moving slow of course). You still have to pull the ebrake one click but it lets you close while pulling into a parking spot or open while leaving or just slowing down when starting to rain. Also if you have the cd changer in front you can run a RCA to headphone jack cable and listen to your ipod through the stock radio. the radio thinks its a cd. The stock CD changer is not altered and you can just plug it back in if you want to go back to stock.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: J_Sap
Lubro Moly 5W40 is another motor oil to look at. Good German oil for a German car. Can be picked up from NAPA ver easily.

2040.jpg

That LM, and that grade, sure is a better choice than the K-Mart oil.

It is readily available at NAPA? That is also a good oil and frequently overlooked. Loaded up with Mos2 so no need to add it, right?

Originally Posted By: HangerHarley
That LM, and that grade, sure is a better choice than the K-Mart oil.

It is readily available at NAPA? That is also a good oil and frequently overlooked. Loaded up with Mos2 so no need to add it, right?

Yeah some NAPA stores have it in stock, others have to order it which takes 1 day and there is no extra cost. napaonline.com has it listed which stores have stock. If they don;t you can always choose the in-store pick-up option and pick it up the next day.

And for the MoS2 it actually has very little if any in it funny enough. But still a great oil and gets better when you add half a bottle of MoS2.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back