Mobil 1 ESP Formula M 5w40 -Oil in Diesel Mercedes

Status
Not open for further replies.
At one point I had been concerned that my dealer was one of the ones who misteknly used the ESP version of Formula M in gasoline cars.

There is a Formula M for gasoline cars, it just isn't' available normally in retail, but dealers have easy access to it.

I sent in a virgin sample of the DIESEL version of Formula M, the Mobil 1 ESP Formula M 5w40. Here are the results. They confirm that my car did not have this version in it.

The fields missing were 0 as this was virgin oil.

Molybdenum - 93
Boron - 207
Silicon - 4
Sodium - 3
Calcium - 1039
Magnesium - 6
Phosphorus - 749
Zinc - 813

SUS Viscosity @ 210 F - 69.7
cSt Viscosity at 100 C - 12.87

TBN - 5.5

I'm glad they used the correct oil in my car. You can see this one starts out at low TBN of 5.5 (though Blackstone oddly called that "STRONG").

The non-ESP Formula M starts out at 8.0.

Calcium is lower than the non-ESP Formula too.

For comparison, here is the link to my used analysis which was indeed it turns out the non-ESP version of Formula M:

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2030726

Now I'm still deciding if I want to continue using the non-ESP Formula M, or step up to the full blooded Mobil 1 0w40, with many more additives above and beyond even the non-ESP Formula M.

I just keep wondering if there was some reason they created the non-ESP version of Formula M, when they already have M1 0w40.

Last edited:
Surprising that Mercedes recommends this oil (229.51)& when used with fleece filters & the OLM, to OCIs of 10,000 miles-wouldn't think it would last that long!

Originally Posted By: bullwinkle
Surprising that Mercedes recommends this oil (229.51)& when used with fleece filters & the OLM, to OCIs of 10,000 miles-wouldn't think it would last that long!

I agree. However, in a diesel engine, doesn't TBN not deplete as fast?

Don't we blame TBN depletion on ethanol or something?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back