5w30 PP, 10k interval, '05 Civic SI

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey all,

2005 Civic SI,
54k total miles,
10k miles on 5w30 PP. (May 26th - Oct 2nd). 5 quarts, honda filter.
10k is Honda's non-severe oil change interval for the EP3.

Driving habits:
Commuter car, vast majority of the miles are partial throttle in 5th gear, except for a few merges onto the highway each day and a few autocrosses.
5th is rather low-geared in the car, 60mph ~ 3k rpm.

SIoilreport.jpg

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y143/pj350/SIoilreport.jpg

Last edited:
Typical boring UOA report from Honda engines, everything is good nothing to be concerned about and nothing to talk about either. A boring report.
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: Ringo
was previous oil one
that uses sodium in addpak ?

great report !!!

Looks like a Valvoline.

This was the first oil change under my ownership. The original owner took the car to the local service shop; the receipt from the previous oil change states the universal "oil & oil filter (up to 5qts)"...

Honestly, that is an extraordinary 10k UOA. Wow. I'm impressed.

I may be new here, but not sure if I've ever seen only 10 on Iron after 10,000 miles!

What a nice engine and nice oil! Well done!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: slalom44
Nice UOA. The Civic SI is a nice sporty car. It looks like it's going to be around for a while!
Do you get into VTEC much?

The engine's a K20a3, it doesn't really have traditional vtec, it goes from a 12v to a 16v, by the opening of 4 more intake valves, at around 2,200rpm.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: iluvhonda
that motor was spec at 5w-20 correct? I know the harder revving k20s use the 5w-30.

At first honda spec'ed it for 5w20, then changed it to 5w30...

Yes, very very nice report. That's one worthy of pinning on the garage wall
grin.gif

PP is a great oil, Honda makes great engines. It's a match made in heaven.

It's weird because the K20A3 in the base RSX still specs 5w-20. Honda was jumping back and forth between the recommendations during that time. The DOHC VTECs (F20/22, K20A2/Z1,3s) still require a 30W, although lots of the UOAs show shearing to a 20W with no observable increase in wear particles.

I'd forgo the UOAs and change it every 10k and enjoy the next 400-500k you will see from that motor. These are the reasons I went back to Honda...

Originally Posted By: flatlandtacoma
Your oil cap and manual say 5w30? My 2003 says 5w20.

The OP's oil cap also reads 5W-20, the weight the American Honda Motor Company recommended (and still recommends) for the K20A3 engine. However, many EP3 owners decided early on that it made sense to use the oil recommended for the higher-performance K20A3 motor, 5W-30, instead. (PP also conforms to Honda's HTO-06 requirements.) This exceptional UOA confirms the wisdom of the OP's choice.

Originally Posted By: cobrapaul
This was the first oil change under my ownership. The original owner took the car to the local service shop; the receipt from the previous oil change states the universal "oil & oil filter (up to 5qts)"...

Just a edit to correct the above post of mine... going through the receipts I remembered this is actually the car's 2nd oil change under my ownership, the first was via the honda dealership, but w/ me supplying the same PP 5w30.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back