Oil Recommendation for 2003 Kia Sorento

Status
Not open for further replies.

GHW

My wife currently drives a 2003 Kia Sorento, the vehicle has 75K miles on it. We've owned it since 2004. I was initially using Mobil 1 10-30 in it, first with a Kia OEM filter for a few years then started using a Pure One filter. I changed to Pennzoil Platinum late last year. I've been doing 6 month oil changes (5-30 in winter, 10-30 in summer) on it but have recently noticed a lot of lifter noise on startup.
We live on the west side of Michigan about half way up the lower part on Lake Michigan. Most of our trips are short and average about 400 miles per month. My wife drives it pretty easy, she's no lead foot.
Just wondering if there maybe a better oil/filter combo and OCI for this vehicle. High mileage oil? Or just stick with what I'm doing?

I'd assume the PureOne has an ADBV. Considering where I live, I've never had the opportunity to actually examine one.
wink.gif
That's another story.

In any case, maybe switch back to the OEM filter. Your choice of oil seems to be fine. Both Mobil and PP are fine oils. I'd switch out the filter first, and see if that helps. Your intervals are definitely not too long; you could probably extend them, but I don't consider myself an expert on extended OCIs.

I assume you have been on kiatechinfo and know Kia/Hyundai changed the oil reccomendations for most of the 03/04 model year vehicles toward 40 weights and above.

ldad060a.gif

The actual noise you hear could be the purge control solenoid. Mine(06 Rio) is incredibly loud particularly when its cold out. I have a new one I just have not had a chance to replace it.

On all Hyundai/Kia vehicles, the OEM filter is recommended. A lot of owners noticed quieter valvetrain when using OEM filters.

Originally Posted By: GHW
I've been on Kia Tech Info before. Where on there is that chart located?

For an 03 sorento go into service information and select your model and year then it can be found in:
2003 > G 3.5 DOHC
Engine Mechanical System
General Information
General Information

Kia/Hyundai changed the reccommeded lubricants for most of those model years. At the same time they issued a TSB stating MY04 and beyond would come factory filled with 5w-20. I have never found a TSB or techincal times stating the change in viscosity for these engines. But if you go into the service information you will find the new lubricant chart. I noticed the change about 2-3 years ago. Before then the chart in KGIS matched what was in the owners manual.

Its possible they changed the weight because of owners like myself that had 2 3.5L engines fail. My 3rd engine had already shown some of the similar symptoms before I traded in that car. I owned a Sedona and Amanti both come with the same 3.5L and a 04 hyundai Sonata with the 2.4L 4 cylinder. All of the lubricant requirements have changed for those engines according to KGIS and HMAserivce.

The TSB regarding factory oil filter refers to a CVVT solenoid issue. The is another reference to factory filters for general engine noise/poor performance. The factory filter is a quality piece, the latest up grade to it add a silicone ADBV. I still use Amsoil EAO36 filters instead.

Thanks. Since the temp usually hits high 80s during the summer and single digits, both above and below zero, during the winter here, do you think I could run a synthetic 10-40 year round?

Absolutely.

There is nothing wrong with a 5W-40 since it is going to be synthetic as well.

Mobil 1 0W-40 is also a good option.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a 2003 sorento with the V6 and if my car sat for a couple days it would make all kinds of noise when started until the oil got to the lifters. After 3 trips to the dealer in Florida and they said everything was fine. When I got to Michigan the dealer here said it was normal. I then talked to one of the service guys at the dealer and he told me it was because I was not using a KIA brand filter. He said the KIA brand filters have a small check valve in them and do not let all the oil drain out while sitting. I changed my oil and put a KIA filter on it and BINGO no more noise when starting! Also if anyone has a bad clock in a sorento that is a easy fix! just unplug the clock bend the plug blades just a little and put it back together. After 2 clocks I tried it and it has never went out since. The dealer unplugs them and checks the lead wires if there is power they assume the clock is bad, they never hook it back up to see if it works so everyone thinks the clock is bad. It really isn't just the plug gets messed up a little.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back