11,577 miles, GF-5 PYB, 2008 Chevrolet Impala V-6

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good afternoon guys,

Here's my latest UOA using the newest PYB 5W-30. Oil in car from May 9-Sept. 20. Temperature range 50-115F. 90% highway driving Tucson-Phoenix.

I like the TBN retention, but noted the insolubles were up a tick to .4%, as well as the viscosity thickening a tad, so I probably won't try to stretch the next interval any further. I switched to PP, but I really want to try the GF-5 Chevron dino when I can find it to finally decide between PYB or Chevron.

So bring on the comments!

Gary
0910analysis.png

Last edited:
uhhhhhhhh... That is not PYB, unless they DRASTICALLY changed the formulation. I think we've seen a UOA with the newer PYB, and it had nowhere NEAR that level of Moly in it... What is going on over at [censored]?

Guys,

I am thinking that the new PYB does have this much moly. My previous fill was Chevron Dino with 178ppm. If PYB was lower, the numbers would be lower than 178ppm, not higher.

If someone can find a VOA of GF-5 PYB with a low moly number, then I can ask Blackstone to retest, but I'm thinking Pennzoil has reformulated its entire line for GF-5.

What say you Johnny?

Gary

Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
Moly from previous fill.

Couldn't be - the previous oil is listed and it has less moly then this run. I'm guessing Pennzoil is adding moly in their new GF-5 package.

Not a bad report,but too far for a conventional oil. I prefer M1 EP over the PP,but I would run PP vs. these conventionals. The new formula M1 would be an option for less $ than the EP. 5 quart jugs at WM about $19-23 for M1 and PP,$28 for EP. You may get an up to 5% mpg gain that will pay for the extra upfront cost of the synthetic and you will be running a better oil. Hope this helps

Originally Posted By: cp3
Sorry, but how can this be too far for a conventional based on the report?

Exactly; with a TBN of 2.8, it likely could have gone a bit longer safely.

Originally Posted By: Nick R
uhhhhhhhh... That is not PYB, unless they DRASTICALLY changed the formulation. I think we've seen a UOA with the newer PYB, and it had nowhere NEAR that level of Moly in it... What is going on over at [censored]?

Do you have a link to that OUA?

Originally Posted By: sunfire
Why is PYB not in the API SN service category yet?

http://eolcs.api.org/FindBrandByServiceCategory.asp?ServiceCategory=SN

I really question the bottle labeling and API SN (GF-5) oil in the bottle.

I don't question it one bit. Paperwork and fees are in process with the API. All this list is, is the companies that fees have been processed in August. Classification did not go in to effect until October 1. Don't see Valvoline, Castrol, Mobil, ConocoPhillips, Motorcraft, etc on that list either. They will be.

Originally Posted By: Tucson Five-O

I like the TBN retention, but noted the insolubles were up a tick to .4%, as well as the viscosity thickening a tad, so I probably won't try to stretch the next interval any further.

Well, in looking at the latest PDS, it didn't appear to change viscosity much at all? (10.5/63.9). I guess warm temperatures and lots of highway driving really are easy on oil (along with that engine).

I'm surprised the silicon is that low given the miles on the oil and where you live. Looks pretty impressive to me, particularly since if I remember correctly that car doesn't have a huge sump??

I don't know how someone could conclude you "ran the oil too long" unless they didn't actually look at the report...

Looks good! My last OCI with the Corolla went a little over 11k (did not get a UOA) and I'm not worried at all.

I try to stay around 7-8k normally.

A few points;

Originally Posted By: panthermike
Hmmm, Bill's UOA for the new 10w30 showed 61ppm Moly.

http://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1925498#Post1925498

I'm not sure that the jug I used was SN but it did have the new label. The jug (5w-30) I picked up the other week for the next oil change DOES have the new label but still says only SM. So I really don't know what/where Pennzoil was/is on the mix to SN with that UOA...

I may have to get a UOA with this 5w-30 OCI over the winter in the Subaru.
21.gif

Originally Posted By: cp3
Sorry, but how can this be too far for a conventional based on the report?

Its not. If you have a bias against FACTS and conventional oils based on nothing, then any OCI is too long.

The OP followed the OLM and it shows 2 things.

1. The OLM engineers do an excellent job with figuring out the time to change the oil.

2. Conventional oils are fine following the OLM.

Originally Posted By: JOD

I don't know how someone could conclude you "ran the oil too long" unless they didn't actually look at the report...

Please don't let actual data come into play!

Also, proves all these Taxi tests in the "terrible" hot conditions are a great place to run "tests". Great for the marketing department.
smirk2.gif

Got to love facts!

Thanks to the OP for posting the UOA!
11.gif

Bill

Reality check needed ,,, look at the time taken to do the miles. Perfect operating conditions. The miles over 12 months driving 2 miles to the mall and shopping for 4 hours and a drive back home would give different results. That is the where the weasel wording [up to] comes into play with some oils. Great uoa!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back