Engine Heaters - Radiator Hose vs. Block

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's starting to get cold here in upstate NY, and I'm thinking of getting engine heaters for the cars. Both of them are used daily for commuting. Morning temperatures will be near freezing while afternoons will be up in the mid-50's for the next month or so.

The Buick has a choice of radiator hose vs. freeze plug heaters. The only heater I've found for the Fit is the OEM Honda block heater that replaces a coolant drain bolt high on the block.

Which will be more effective, and can I run both on a timer to start 3 hours or so before we take off?

Would prefer to NOT have something that could leak or impede flow in my radiator hose... But that's just me.

Plus the biggest thermal mass is the engine block, Id think.

I've had both. And they both work fine. Block heaters are simple and cheap and I've used them many times. The only reason I've used an in-line heater is because a block heater wouldn't seal (it leaked repeatedly, due to a non concentric casting) in the only frost plug accessible in a 1986 Volvo. It worked fine too.

Pick one and enjoy.

Ecotourist

An oil pan heater would be better.The oil is what needs to circulate quickly upon startup but then a proper viscosity syn oil and a well maintained " proper coolant mix" would eliminate the need for a heater.

I'm probably going to put an oil pan heater and a tranny pan heater on the Jeep this winter. I might add a circulating tank heater in the heater lines to warm the rest of the engine, but I'm not sure yet.

Originally Posted By: sciphi
It's starting to get cold here in upstate NY, and I'm thinking of getting engine heaters for the cars. Both of them are used daily for commuting. Morning temperatures will be near freezing while afternoons will be up in the mid-50's for the next month or so.

The Buick has a choice of radiator hose vs. freeze plug heaters. The only heater I've found for the Fit is the OEM Honda block heater that replaces a coolant drain bolt high on the block.

Which will be more effective, and can I run both on a timer to start 3 hours or so before we take off?

Have a look at Wolverine oil pan heaters. They are easy to install, won't leak and will keep the oil warm to aid with cold starts. Check out their website, it explains the advantages to heating the oil pan, which BTW is the lowest part of the engine. Heat rises, making it very efficient IMO.

I'll have to take a look at those oil pan heaters. Probably won't work on the Buick since the oil pan has 5-6 years worth of oil soaked into the metal from the now-repaired oil pan gasket leaking. I'm leaning towards a coolant hose heater for the Buick since it's $16 on Amazon, and there's lots of space to install it. The Fit just may see the oil pan heater, since the Honda block heater is $75, and behind lots of stuff.

If you properly clean and prep the surface the pan heater should stick. I'd give them a call and ask, they were quite helpful when I ordered mine.

I did a lot of researching those heaters that fit into the coolant hose, and it wasn't very convincing. But I never used one so I can't speak from experience.

Someone on the Pontiac forums I'm on did a very good writeup and testing on a rad hose heater last winter. That's why I'm leaning towards getting it for the Buick. And it's cheap.

The Fit has a 1.5l all-aluminum engine. The oil pan heater would work well for it, I think. Plus it'd be dirt-simple to install.

What is the advantage of heating the coolant when the oil is cold? The coolant will heat up quick once the engine is started but if the oil is too cold it will take a long time to reach the oil pump. but syn oil will eliminate the problem.

Heating the coolant is inefficient, but DOES work to help with cold starts.
Ambient heat is transmitted to the oil, is why.
And there is almost a direct path to the pistons , with the thick oil surrounding them.

If you use a block heater, make sure it is installed perfectly. Leaks in below zero weather because of a quick/hasty installation will cause you to join the Navy -in order to learn more swear words!

I was told by some old time truckers that heating the oil was the better of the two. Having both an oil heater and a block heater would be the very best.

The radiator hose heater for the Buick also sends heat past the battery since the installation is 6" below the battery. It won't be the most efficient. However, the waste heat will heat the battery, so it's not a total loss.

Funds won't permit both types for both cars. I'm getting the Fit the oil pan heater, and the Buick the radiator hose heater. Call it a little experiment, the cheap 400 watt radiator hose heater vs. the more expensive 150 watt oil pan heater.

Both cars already have full synthetic oils in the oil pans. Edge 5w-30 for the Buick and M1 0w-20 for the Honda. Batteries are recent in both vehicles, we have sets of snow tires waiting to go on, and both cars are getting a Fluid Film bath in the next few weekends. The heaters will be the (anti) icing on the winter car preparedness cake.

I have an alloy oil pan so a magnet based pan heater won't work.
Of course, I use 0W-30 oil so heater isn't really needed.
For most applications, the block heater is better if they are both rated the same (amps).
The thermostat won't open until the engine is up to temp. anyway, so the radiator hose type MIGHT be heating the radiator if not positioned properly.
A high level heater is really only warming the head it's under.

Originally Posted By: bepperb
People in NY use block heaters?

I see them from time to time in WI, but maybe 2% of cars. On a Fit?

In some parts of NY State it gets colder than people would think. In many areas of the Southern Tier of NYS, it's in the minus' regularly during the winter especially in the morning, and it only get above zero during the day time. Another example is, Oswego, NY not only gets record snow fall but seriously fridgid temp below well zero often. To define below zero, I will guess at -15 to -20 in some areas. Rochester & Buffalo...((COLD))!! Blustery being on the Great Lakes(Erie, Onterio). You know!

Char baby - How cold does it actually get up here in the winter? If it's going to be below 0 more than a couple times, the Jeep will definitely be getting heaters as soon as I have money to spend on them. Of course, I park in the far corner of the lot to keep away from other cars, which puts me right next to a bunch of outlets
wink.gif

The only friends of mine that are using block heaters are the oned that have diesels'. My gas engines start slow at those temps but, they start with 5W30. When we have a spell of zero or less, it make the 20 + deg F days feel like spring. Not so much where I live per/say but, the areas of NYS that I mentioned earlier are much colder. Some winters are bitter and others are better(single digets) and never even getting as low as zero.

It's already dipping into the 30's here at night. These valleys get COLD. Plus my first trip of the day is 4 blocks and shut it off, then a mad dash to the next appointment 6 miles away. The Buick doesn't get up to temperature until halfway through that 6-mile drive.

Lots of short trips and in-town driving for me this winter. That's another reason for the heater.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back