Testing Coolant by a hobbyist and what [censored] out..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: wallyuwl
Interesting. I wonder how the Peak Long Life and Prestone Long Life would fare. Same with G5.
..those were my same thoughts

That was pretty interesting and supports what we or I've been saying that Dexcool and G12+ are compatible and that Zerex Dexcool provides good corrosion resistance. I wonder what formula of Peak that was? It appeared to be their version of Dexclone but not sure.

This galvanic test was a little extreme and not really real world, and it may give IAT and HOAT coolants an unealistic advantage since OAT coolants are said to require time to lay down a protection layer.

Originally Posted By: mechanicx
That was pretty interesting and supports what we or I've been saying that Dexcool and G12+ are compatible and that Zerex Dexcool provides good corrosion resistance. I wonder what formula of Peak that was? It appeared to be their version of Dexclone but not sure.

This galvanic test was a little extreme and not really real world, and it may give IAT and HOAT coolants an unealistic advantage since OAT coolants are said to require time to lay down a protection layer.
.I believe that bottle of Peak coolant was Not the Global/lifetime version..and I was hopeing you had not seen this test before..

I am curious about one thing...he said he ADDED 50% distilled water to all the mixtures to simulate a 50/50 mix as most car manufatures reccomend..However, I noticed that the PEAK is already a 50/50 pre mix??? so was to much water added to the Peak samples?

Good catch. The other antifreezes were concentrate. And he also compared Peak at 100% (premix) to the others at 100% (concentrate). Not a fair comparison either way.

Originally Posted By: lucerne06
I am curious about one thing...he said he ADDED 50% distilled water to all the mixtures to simulate a 50/50 mix as most car manufatures reccomend..However, I noticed that the PEAK is already a 50/50 pre mix??? so was to much water added to the Peak samples?
..I am going to send an email to find out..

He made the mistake of dipping the copper electrode into the electrolyte. He introduced an unneeded variable into the test. That part of the electrode should have stayed dry above the liquid.

If he added extra distilled water, it should only dilute the electrolytic characteristics of the fluid. As you notice, nothing happened in the pure distilled water sample. I do agree that the copper electrodes being in the fluid changes things.

All in all, this test just shows that the Peak coolant used is electrolytic, and the rest really aren't. It also shows that nothing disastrous happens when coolants are mixed (at least in the short term).

Well if his experiment was performed right (and the coolant inhibitors are working) I think distilled water should show more corrosion than 50/50 diluted with distilled, followed by 50/50 antifreeze, then FS should have the least corrosion. That's the idea that antifreeze's inhibitors passivate the metals. Otherwise you wouldn't need the inhibitors, although antifreeze inhibitor pack also buffer pH. I know the argument was that distilled water doesn't act as an electolyte but I don;t think ethylene glycol really does either.

Nope, while demineralised/distilled water is mineral hungry, in mixed metal systems it's pretty benign.

Decent demin water wouldn't conduct in the original test. (At work, we've got a foot of demin water between 22,000V and Earth, and next to no current/corrosion.

Well that is kind of true since the purest water is what 18 M Ohm and he claimed that the antifreeze was 5 M ohm (but that is just his numbers). I doubt his distilled water was 18M Ohm, let alone stayed there. The thing is his bench test is pretty meaningless. Like you said pure water can be very mineral hungry and so corrosive. Even if we forget about freeze point in a cooling system the water would lose its purity fast and become acidic. This is where the inhibitors coating the metal would step in and block electrolysis.

I'm not really clear on how he measured resistance. It would have to be over the same distance and did he measure between the metal plates and through the passivation layer on the metal? I don't think he listed the resistance for the distilled water.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back