Fumoto quick valve drain bolt or a magnetic bolt

Status
Not open for further replies.
has anyone used the fumoto quick valve drain bolt? im worried it would come loose. if you dont know what it is, its basically take the place of a drain bolt and with the push of the button, the oil comes out and you dont have to take it out, or should i just go with a magnetic one? are they worth it

I've a Fumoto valve on my Golf. Fits great, excellent craftsmanship, positive locking valve - no issues whatsoever. And it's not a pushbutton affair, it's a positive latching quarter turn ball valve. The tiny handle is springloaded into a detent when closed. You have to overcome both and turn it a full quarter turn to get flow - not something that will likely happen.

+^ what he said.
Also, you can slip a 1/2" spring hose clip to wedge the lever in the detent. There is no way the lever will move after that.

i have one on my HHR. i love it.

i do not have to wait until my car cools down a bit. i just put my car on my rhino ramps and open up the valve. not a drop of oil on my hands.

if my car were lowered, i might feel differently about having the valve.

I'm happy with the one on our Subaru. The supplied gasket seems to weep slightly, but never enough to drip on the ground, it is just a little wet. I consider it helping to rustproof.

sounds good guys.. is a civic too low, i drive through snow a lot.. i doubt that it matters but im just worried..

We put a Fumoto on an old Tercel which is about as low as your car.We are in MA so there is plenty of snow.No problems whatsoever.
Great product!

Originally Posted By: donny939
has anyone used the fumoto quick valve drain bolt? im worried it would come loose. if you dont know what it is, its basically take the place of a drain bolt and with the push of the button, the oil comes out and you dont have to take it out, or should i just go with a magnetic one? are they worth it

Search is your friend. Plenty of threads on Fumoto with comments and photos.

Bill

magnetic drain plug- extra protection

how hard is it to grab a wrench and twist off a fastener? i mean you have to get down there regardless..

While I've never owned a Fumoto, nor have I ever read of a problem with one, the Fram Sure-drain seems much more secure to me. I've had one on my truck for 80,000+ miles and have been very happy with it.

Yea, currently have 4 on family cars, been using them for many many years, even hit one going over a concrete median and shaved some metal off of the nipple but still works fine. Built like a tank. It is one of the first things I do when I get a vehicle, replace the drain plug with a fumoto

Originally Posted By: garlicbreadman
how hard is it to grab a wrench and twist off a fastener? i mean you have to get down there regardless..

It's not hard to grab a wrench and twist off a fastener. It's that much easier, however, to not have to grab a wrench in the first place. The Fumoto is much neater. Yes, one can remove a conventional drain plug without making a mess or getting one's hand wet if one is paying close enough attention and is fast enough. I wish I had known about the Fumotos twenty-five years ago (if they were even available then).

Originally Posted By: PW01
While I've never owned a Fumoto, nor have I ever read of a problem with one, the Fram Sure-drain seems much more secure to me. I've had one on my truck for 80,000+ miles and have been very happy with it.

I like them, too, but I switched to Fumoto since I was always trying to track down my drain hose. When I started using the Fram system, I would be changing oil at more than one place, and I'd never have the darn drain hose with me. Looking at the Fumoto, I can't see there being any problems with them, either.

A friend once criticized both the Fram system and the Fumoto system, thinking that they invite sabotage. For one, if someone wanted to drain my oil on me and my vehicle was parked outside, they'd get the job done, regardless of how my oil pan was plugged. Secondly, people who would wish to do me harm would know that I'm using a quick drain plug of some sort and use that as a way to get me? Yeesh.

One advantage to the Fumoto (or Fram Sure-Drain) is that the drain plug is not constantly removed and replaced - all too many people have had them stripped, especially by over-zealous quick change places.

Although I hate to admit that although I usually change my own oil, some years ago I was out of town and in a bit of a hurry to get my oil changed and used a quick change place. The the rocket scientist "technician" couldn't figure out the Fumoto valve and ended up removing it to drain the oil. Mind you, I was in the car at the time - it would have been a simple thing to just ask me how it worked. Since then I have scheduled my oil changes carefully so that I alone can do them.

Just put a Fumoto on the T&C - haven't had a chance to actually use it yet...

But now that I have that messy problem solved, I still have to deal with the filter.

Any ideas on how to reduce mess with that?

i have not had my car very long, but it is the easiest oil change ever. between the Fumotovalve and the cartridge filter located under the hood, it could not be easier.

i only need one hand tool. a Lisle 14700 32mm oil filter wrench for GM 2.2L/2.4L on a 3/8 ratchet with a "6 extension. i have enough extra ratchets and extensions that i can just leave it all together in my oil cabinet.

you will love the Fumotovalve.

It is an interesting idea. I don't have one on my vehicle because it would be too easy for someone (an idiot) to reach underneath and drain my oil. Not too many people carry a 9/16 wrench in their pocket. I like having a magnetic bolt to see what metal is in the engine. The Fumoto is nice since you don't have to find the bolt in a pan of hot oil. But my hands get more oily from dropping the filter than looking for the bolt.

Originally Posted By: asamek
But now that I have that messy problem solved, I still have to deal with the filter.

Any ideas on how to reduce mess with that?

I hold an old, small tupperware bowl under the filter as I remove it and let the filter drop into it, then hold there for a minute or so to catch drips. Works great. With the Fumoto valve, I can change oil and filter in 15 minutes with little mess.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back