Pennzoil Ultra vs Mobil 1 5w-30

Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay so i have heard some talk about Mobil 1 causing iron wear isuses, is this true?

Considering trying PU for my next fill if this is the case. How would one compare them directly not going by price.

Very close in quality. Mobil just reformulated their line so I don't know what, if anything has changed, other than a few #'s.

Ultra is really good, but Mobil 1 is probably just as good at keeping engines clean. The other companies are simply making better oils that are as good as Mobil 1 today. Mobil's been doing it longer and is still among the best. Always has been.

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
Okay so i have heard some talk about Mobil 1 causing iron wear isuses, is this true?

Considering trying PU for my next fill if this is the case. How would one compare them directly not going by price.

Not iron wear issues, higher iron in UOA's (and typically only 5w30). That doesn't mean it is wear.

Last edited by a moderator:
On the BITOG home page, at the bottom of the Main Menu is a link to the Pennzoil Q&A.

Pennzoil held an open session for questions from BITOG members, and the link is the result of that -- Pennzoil's answers to our questions. Lots of good information.

Mobil-1 recently opened a session of their own, taking all comers. At the end of this month, they'll post an answer page like Pennzoil's.

Might want to wait and read both pages back-to-back before you make a decision.

You're comparing a top of the line product of pennzoil to a 2nd from the top product of mobil 1.

Bring in the EP if you wanna be fair!

For over 34 years Mobil 1 has been among the best oils on the market. That is the only reason I've really stayed loyal to "the brand".

Well i use 5w-30 in my fills so lets try comparing the Penn Ultra to the Mobil 1 HM? I have been thinking about switching to the High Mileage because its cheaper than the EP

If you are going to compare brands, it would have to be this way.

Pennzoil Platinum to Regular Mobil 1
Pennzoil Ultra to Mobil 1 EP

Pennzoil does not have a synthetic HM engine oil, only a synthetic blend.

If you have been using Mobil 1 5W-30 and are happy with it, don't switch. Absolutely nothing wrong with any of the Mobil 1 products.

Originally Posted By: Johnny

Is pennzoil hm a synthetic blend? or just dino oil? I'm thinking of using it in my son's saturn.

Originally Posted By: spasm3

Is pennzoil hm a synthetic blend? or just dino oil? I'm thinking of using it in my son's saturn.

Pennzoil HM is a synthetic blend. In my old truck I had some consumption, particularly at start-up and with highway driving. MaxLife had about half the consumption as Pennzoil HM in that application (Ford 4.0L).

I am having some issues. I burn over a quart of M1 5w-30 over 5000 miles

Details? How long have you been using Mobil 1? Just curious.

Been using Mobil 1 this is my 3rd fill.

Previously i was using Motorcraft Synthetic Blend and Valvoline Maxlife Syn Blend.

Consumption has gone up since switching to Mobil 1? It's not uncommon. I don't know why that happens.

Originally Posted By: Johnny
If you are going to compare brands, it would have to be this way.

Pennzoil Platinum to Regular Mobil 1
Pennzoil Ultra to Mobil 1 EP

If you have been using Mobil 1 5W-30 and are happy with it, don't switch. Absolutely nothing wrong with any of the Mobil 1 products.

I need to make a correction to the above. Pennzoil's synthetic blend is called Pennzoil Gold, the Pennzoil HM oil is a Group II+ base stock oil.

Given the choice of M1, M1 EP or Ultra, I'd use the Ultra. It is a great oil with lousy marketing as far as I can tell.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
Given the choice of M1, M1 EP or Ultra, I'd use the Ultra. It is a great oil with lousy marketing as far as I can tell.

+1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back