My 2005 BMW 330Ci ZHP

Status
Not open for further replies.
The current BMW 3 series, MB C class, Accords, Camrys, Hundais look pretty much similar these days, especially from the side and the back

Thanks all, for the continued comments and feedback...I fully agree that this model loos better in quite a few ways than the current 328i coupe..

I've already gotten a few "snob" comments from friends, lovingly meant, not serious..
That's 1 thing that bothers me, though...I have (or try to) a rather humble nature, and I am worried what people think...I might be driving the Tbird to work sometimes, too...

It doesn't help that this car looks more expensive than it really is...

Loving the driving experience so far and discovering many hidden "easter eggs" in the car...
some avorites so far: vehicle speed sensitive stereo: Adjusts volume depending on speed, and lowers volume when coming to s stop and increases it when accelerating..
and rain sensing wipers (didn't even know it had those): adjusts wiper speed depending on how hard it rains...
Wifey's favorite: "follow me home" function: after parking the car, one can flip the "flash to pass" before locking doors, and the headlights stay on for a few minutes to give you some light to walk to the house, find the house key hole in the dark, etc :)

Nothing is better than the handling and acceleration though...and still seeing the 30+ mpg on the MPG indicator at hwy speeds...

oh and i also like the 24 hr format clock :)

Don't like:
No real "spare key". Wife has the 2nd key - hate driving with all keys hanging off the ignition. A 3rd key is gonna be $$$. I should get a valet key (cheaper) to just drive the car with.
FM (some weak channels) get staticky when rear defroster is turned on LOL - stupid antenna integration on the windshield.

Last edited:
yeah, the key is something like $250.

Does yours show real time MPG? Mine only has an "average" MPG or MPH since it was last reset. Initially, after a reset, it shows close to real time but as time goes on, it averages to a statistically constant number which is around 24 MPG right now with an average MPH of 33 despite the fact that I try to use as much highway as possible at around 90 MPH.

I am not sure about the MPG on the BC display... I usually watch the MPG "meter" on the dash, which goes back and forth when driving...
I haven reset the mpg and mph display on the BC yet. I need to observe it after a reset...

Here's a bad 1st pic AFTER the hideous front plate/holder was taken off. (Car is dirty after a ride in the rain, but the front is now so much neater.):

DSCN0504edit.jpg

so, did a MPG calculation for the 1st time today.
with about 60/40 hwy (~55-65 mph)/city (with lots of stop & go), avg was 25.78 MPG. I'll take it.
(the car's own on board computer gave me a figure of 24.98...pretty close)

Last edited:
That's pretty good mpg for you, too, for a 5-er.

Pete, how do you feel about the RED RED RED dash lighting?
I think it's pretty ok, but all the people who see my car at night say "OMG it's so RED"...

Last edited:
The red lighting is just fine for me. I keep it on the dim side (probably half way). I much prefer it over the blue lighting we had in our old Jetta - that thing was not easy on the eyes.

My old A4 had a mix of white and red elements, and that was nice, too.

Yeah I do like them, however, I have them on the lowest illumination setting, as I prefer to have the cabin/cluster almost fully dark when I drive at night...
Even on the lowest setting, it's still like "normal" bright...I wish it was like in my Tbird, where you could totally eliminate dash lighting, and i had it barely enough to see the speedometer.

Btw, those xenons are BEASTS at night, coupled with the adaptive (peek around curves) function. Even the low beams turn night into day almost...

Do you have xenons for both low and high beams? I only have low beam xenons, but my adjusters broke, so they're pointing too low now, and I can't adjust them up. Sigh... another thing to put on my "to do" list.

I just finished trans fluid and differential fluid change last weekend.

I think I also have low beam Xenons. (only the outer/low beam light has the ring with "bmw dynamic xenon" imprinted on it).

I plan to do ATF change at 50 or 60k miles...

I am going to need some sort of AUX audio input more than anything right now..that's going to be my 1st task...I am thinking of going with the BMW aux, but trying to get it installed on the center console somewhere...dealerships do it for like $150 but i think almost always want to put it in the glove box. I don't like that.

I saw your winter tire thread, btw. I have an offer for a full set of Dunlop winter sports tires 225/40/18 and 265/35/18 for $400 (front full tread almost, and rear 50%)...tempting...but then I'd have to use oem wheels..
frown.gif

or, Perhaps I should just put Altimax Arctics on the Tbird and use it for the snow/winter months and keep the ZHP out of foul weather...

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 97tbird

or, Perhaps I should just put Altimax Arctics on the Tbird and use it for the snow/winter months and keep the ZHP out of foul weather...

That's the better idea right there!

Originally Posted By: Patman
Originally Posted By: 97tbird

That's the better idea right there!

+1

But TBird, do you even need dedicated winter tires in NC? Did your TBird struggle during past winters with all-season tires?

Half worn 265 width snow tires aren't really going to be an asset in actual snow or slush. Some new "normal" width snow tires of almost any brand will be much nicer at highway speeds.

Yeah I guess I will go with the Tbird-snow idea..

Pete: I can only comment on a rather ordinary (but decent) set of the all-season tires i had on Bird last winter (Kumho KH16)...They didn't do very well..I couldn't get out of the driveway due to some snow...not a lot, but a lot for NC I guess...Once I got out finally after a lot of effort AND after most of it had melted, I didn't feel confident driving the Tbird much at all...That's why I am trying to do something different this yr...and those days, I could afford to stay home, as I didn't work..this time, I will HAVE to get to work...which means I will have to get to the major hwy nearby...after that everything will be ok...it's managing the tiny mostly unplowed streets I have to get through which causes problems...

My wife's Elantra with Altimax HPs did pretty ok in light snow...

Btw, I found an ad for a brand new set of Firestone Winterforce tires locally on Craigslist, for $250. (in the correct size I need: 225/60/16).
I was going to go with Altimax Arctics from tirerack, but the ad has gotten my attention...

Just don't know much about these, but ranks pretty high-up in the category on TR survey...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back