Swepco 306 Supreme Formula

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Porsche guys seem to like Swepco oils and I finally got my hands on one of their product datasheets. This is for the 306 Supreme Formula engine oil.

-"formulated from the very finest high VI 100% solvent refined parrafinic base stocks"
-contains Dimonyl, their proprietary anti-wear additive (claims to add a protective film and to enhance performance of the basestock)
-exceeds API SL
-high levels of zinc & phosphorous
-"over 5 times the amount of the anti-wear additive Boron as the new reformulated SM or CJ-4 oils."

I'm specifically looking at the 5w30.

KV @ 40: 75
KV @ 100: 11.9
VI: 150
Pour: -31 F
Flash: 392 F
TBN: 10.3

Is this a decent HDEO? Sounds like it has good basestocks, though that 150 VI is a bit on the low side. I don't know what the NOACK or HTHS figures are, unfortunately. I've yet to see any UOAs on this stuff. It's not terribly expensive ($8/qt), though it is more than T6/Delvac/Delo.

Last edited:
Swepco carries a fine name. Bet it's good oil. Some board members will chime in that run it.
I'd like to hear more on their Boron add pack.

They market it more as an HDEO for whatever reason. I suppose we could always order a quart of it and send it out for a VOA.

It looks to be on the heavy side for a 5w30.

LOL I could care less about the coloring. My green Motul is not really green any more.

Their gear oils look good, yes (no 75w90 for me though).

What makes you think this is group 2, Johnny?

Interesting. I figured with the "solvent refined parrafinic base stocks" it was a hydrocracked group 3.

Would you say this is worth $7.59/qt?

Hi,
dparm - You sid this "The Porsche guys seem to like Swepco oils......."

Sadly a big "sell" job was conducted on some Porsche Forums a few years back. This was done by a couple of people who sell these products. Their sell job included rubbishing many good products and was couched around how bad SM and CJ4 lubricand were. Misinformation can sell - and it did to some

I make no judgement on Swepco products

Originally Posted By: dparm

What makes you think this is group 2, Johnny?

Another indication is a rather poor pour (pun) point at only -31F. Compared to say group III 5w-30 oil such as PU that has a pour point of -49F.

Originally Posted By: Doug Hillary
Hi,
dparm - You sid this "The Porsche guys seem to like Swepco oils......."

Sadly a big "sell" job was conducted on some Porsche Forums a few years back. This was done by a couple of people who sell these products. Their sell job included rubbishing many good products and was couched around how bad SM and CJ4 lubricand were. Misinformation can sell - and it did to some

I make no judgement on Swepco products

This is good info. After seeing the oil's specs and hearing it's just a group II, I was puzzled why Porsche folk would be so in love with it.

If this were sold in big jugs for $20 I'd consider it, but $7.59/qt? Pass.

Johnny, what makes their gear oils so good?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back