Article - The Death of DIY.

Status
Not open for further replies.
The only thing I don't do myself is the Transmission, by that I mean I won't rebuild it, but I will pull it and reinstall. Lots of folks still fix their own stuff.

I also did an autoshop course back in high school, before going on to university. I have lately been toying with the idea of doing some kind of self-paced auto mechanics diploma level course just to broaden and deepen my own understanding, and out of interest. The only thing that has kept me from doing it is the realization that I could invest that time & money instead into doing a professional course to expand upon my chosen career background.

Maybe if I look at as more of an investment in car ownership, in terms of current and future cars, and hobby type money, I will get off the fence and commit to it.

-Spyder

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: it's from the linked article
With the Europe-only A2 model that was on the market from 1999 to 2005, Audi just took things to their logical conclusion. Want to check the alternator belt tension? Forget it. How about a jump-start? Forget that, too. What about the time-honored tradition of lifting the hood and contemplating the engine? Nope. Access denied.
I hope AUDI realizes that there are millions and zillions of buyers out there who, like me (FWIW), would NEVER, EVER consider purchasing a vehicle with a non-opening hood, no matter how desirable the vehicle might appear for other reasons.

No way. No way at all.

Also, my Jr. HS auto shop was where I learned the basics (back between 1973-75). Good old Mr. Faucy had an ancient Chevy I-6 partially dissected and mounted on a roll-around dolly. The best part was that he had attached a steering wheel (of the approximate same mid-50s vintage) to one end of the crank shaft so we students could turn the crank and watch all the parts do their thing.

Mr. Faucy was a WW-II vet and by the 70s, he had "earned" the "callsign" "Mr. Fossil" from his Jr. HS students. He taught us the basics, and for that, I will be forever grateful. I imagine he has passed on to a better existence by now, but I'll never let go of what I learned from him. No death of DIY here, until my death (untimely whenever it happens...).
cheers3.gif

I wish my HS offered auto shop. I had to learn everything from reading books on my own (god forbid, who the heck reads books on their own anymore, lol) and internet forums, like this.)

Mine covered just the basics. Fuel injection was too novel. Many other things simply too advanced. And it was also a long time ago. I'm more reliant now on a hodgepodge of books and forums. This is why I'd like to do an actual college level course in it. It would bridge a lot of knowledge gaps.

-Spyder

My high school offered shop and I believe it still does. However, when I wanted to take auto shop, the guidance counselor and administration said that I was not allowed. You see, I was on the "college track" and apparently college students do not need to work on automobiles. No matter what I explained or said, NO was their only answer unless I was willing to move "down" to the "vocational track."

So I took study hall and went out to the shop anyway, but didn't receive any official credit for it.

It's idiots like this that screw students on a daily basis. And this is called guidance?

Much of the same can be said about women and their skills. How many of you know women who can sew, even if it is just to repair or alter clothing?

Oh, good point. I do the sewing in my house, believe it or not. It's a basic skill people should know. At least know how to sew a button!

I can sew a button. That's about it. So can the significant other. She also lets me change the oil on her car. And she insisted on full synthetic for it! Plus she let me change the ATF at 18k miles.

DIY is well around here.

Who says you need a shop course to fix cars??

You need some basic tools, a FSM and some connections to get deals on parts.

Also helps to network and know a few techs who can steer you in the right direction.

Common sense also helps, ie replace stuff before it brakes and perform good maintenance practices.

per Audi, all I can say is good luck if you own one and the electronics starts to fail at about year 5. My neighbor just went thru hlll with his 02 A4. 4500 worth of trouble shooting and parts later over 2 years it still had issues and he finally had enough and dumped it. It wsa towed about 8 times after [censored] out. It had about 90K when all the problems started.

Anyhow I think the secret is to not buy a fully optioned out car with stupid gizmos and you have half a chance to repair.

My son is helping fix up my 1975 2002 since he will be the primary driver. He's learning a few "ancient" skills along the way- valve adjustment, carburetor tuning, and replacing points/setting initial timing.

Originally Posted By: MCompact
My son is helping fix up my 1975 2002 since he will be the primary driver. He's learning a few "ancient" skills along the way- valve adjustment, carburetor tuning, and replacing points/setting initial timing.

Great project car and great project for father and son. I hope my daughters will have some interest in this when they are old enough. On the other hand, my nephew's dad gets 3 quotes for replacement when a light bulb burns out in his kitchen. Maybe I'll build a car with/for my nephew when he's old enough!

But you do understand that 1975 2002 is an extremely unsafe car even compared to a lowly 2000 Camry. The Bimmer lacks, airbag, anti-lock brakes, crumple zones etc. Bluntly put, your chances of getting in to an accident are higher in the 2002 and probability of walking away from that accident is lower.

I'm in a university and I took some auto shop classes at the local community college - I could have worked as a painter at a body shop with full I-CAR certs instead if I wanted to. I also learn by doing as well - I spent time watching mechanics work on cars as much as I could.

And I can DIY most things - but our Prius will see a Toyota indie in Berkeley for its coolant and brake fluid changes, as you need the TIS TechStream to manually control the brake-by-wire system on it. I can perhaps do the coolant myself if I talk my parents into getting a $150 Airlift coolant system evacuator/filler which according to that same shop works like a dream.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: VNTS
Audi, all I can say is good luck if you own one and the electronics starts to fail at about year 5. My neighbor just went thru hlll with his 02 A4. 4500 worth of trouble shooting and parts later over 2 years it still had issues and he finally had enough and dumped it. It wsa towed about 8 times after [censored] out. It had about 90K when all the problems started.

Anyhow I think the secret is to not buy a fully optioned out car with stupid gizmos and you have half a chance to repair.

Not all vehicles are created equal. Some are just [censored] from the moment they are designed. I'm surprised this isn't talked about more often.

A Chevy Lumina was not a Lexus...............even in 1990.

Last edited:
Driving an older car is still fun, and makes you appreciate a newer car after dealing with many shortcomings of the older one.

That being said, most new affordable cars of the past 10 years haven't been revolutionary in what they offer the customer. It seems they reflect more the present offerings in society in general instead of being a completely different experience. Sure there's more cabin tech. And you can buy your own GPS with Bluetooth for $150-200. Or get your own in-dash nav system for $600 for a truly ancient car. So most of the very nice things about a new car are available for older cars. Reliability hasn't improved drastically. The only "improvements" have been in horsepower and marketing. And not everybody needs a 250-300 hp SUV/CUV to get groceries or take the kids to soccer.

And the latest vehicles are less DIY friendly than ever. Changing the spark plugs is a 20 minute job on my Buick. It takes 2-3 hours on the Fit, from what folks say.

I think that as long as websites like this one and car specific forums exist, the DIY will not die, no matter how much techno wiz is put in our cars. People that are naturally skilled will always be interested in troubleshooting and solving problems themselves, and people that are cheap... I mean frugal
48.gif
will always look for ways to save money, so I think DIY is safe.

Lots of manufacturers have free maintenance for an extended period of time.

I don't want free maintenance. I want to do it myself. Just give me the filters, oil, wipers, etc... I will put them on/in myself. Helps me understand her, trust her. It's therapeutic for me. Brings me closer to one with my machine. One could even say it has zen-like qualities.

But the most [naughty word omitted by poster...rhymes with scamming] thing about free scheduled maintenance is how often it is disregraded. I can't tell you how many BMWs I've seen with a nasty sludge/crust on the inside of the oil cap. Pull the valve cover and it's sludge-city. It hasn't been out of it's free scheduled maintenance plan long enough to acquire that kind of build up. I'm sure if you check the maintenance log you'll find that it is long neglected. Owner error. Like maybe he thinks that because his car is so well engineered that it does not require anything but gas. Maybe to afford his premium vehicle he has to work 3 jobs and can't take it in for service. I don't know.

Originally Posted By: Vikas
But you do understand that 1975 2002 is an extremely unsafe car even compared to a lowly 2000 Camry.[sic] The Bimmer lacks,[sic] airbag, anti-lock brakes, crumple zones etc. Bluntly put, your chances of getting in to[sic] an accident are higher in the 2002 and probability of walking away from that accident is lower.

"extremely unsafe car"? To you maybe. Perhaps you should share this breathless pronouncement with the members of the BMW 2002 FAQ- by your reasoning we should all be extinct by now...
The '02 does have crumple zones- along with a three-point harness. And my chances of getting in an accident are higher? Why? Because my car lacks ABS? I guess I'll have to sell my 1999 Jeep as well.
And as for the 2000 Camry it is much more dangerous than any vehicle in my garage- if forced to drive one I'd die of boredom...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back