1979 KZ1000, Castrol GTX 10w40, 16 years on oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is more or less just for fun. This motorcycle has 80,000 hard miles, only 265 miles last 16 years since the last oil change. It sits in an unheated shed all year around so temps have ranged from about 20 below zero to 110 degrees. I don't think the oil looks too bad actually, so fear not letting oil sit over the winter and getting corrosive. Compare 16 yr old oil to modern SM. Not a huge difference.
[img:center]
oilreportkz1000.jpg
[/img]

You probably should remove your name and address from the report. This is the internet, and weirdos may come and go from here...not that any members are weird.

That's so awesome! I've always wanted to see a UOA from a junkyard car that had been sitting out in the weather for a buncha years. This will do just fine. This UOA dispells the myth that oil absorbs water in an engine that doesn't run all winter. At least for me it does.

Really Cool UOA!

Sixteen year old Castrol GTX 10W-40 and check out those phos and zinc numbers. Not a whole lot higher than they are now. Also check out how low the calcium was back then.

the kz bikes have roller bearings on rods and mains.
the copper and lead would have to come from a thrust washer.
built and raced a bunch of these in my youth.

Interesting add-pack - If you look at the really old UOA''s in the August 1977 issue of PS, one oil uses about 500ppm of Barium in its add-pack. I've read that Barium is a really old-school AW additive that isn't used anymore.

Also interesting the use of lots of Na and Mg in the add-pack. A very old-school add-pack for sure! This oil would be API SG, wouldn't it?

i find this report to be just incredible!!!

why?

because i have a uoa from castrol gtx 20w50 that aint much better!!!

raced for 80 miles and had a susvis of 70.6

all in all, i'd probably pick your 16yo oil over the newer stuff!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back