GMC Acadia - Havoline Dino - 8000 Miles - OLM 15%

Status
Not open for further replies.
Acadia-HavolineUOA.jpg

Originally Posted By: Troy_Built
Havoline is a WONDERFUL steady motor oil. IMHO it is better than Mobil 1.

Well you know what they say about opinions. At any rate, can we trust the techies that figure these OLMs to give us the straight scoop in regard to the life of oils? That kind of OCI seems excessive to me for dino.

Not really. It depends usually. I've seen several recent dino UOA's that looked amazing on a long OCI. There was the PYB 9k mile one, which was actually one of the best I've ever seen and I can't think of the other. But depending on the application, dino can go a really long ways nowadays. At least on easy on oil vehicles.

Man, this UOA pretty much proves a lot of BITOG'rs point about on certain cars, synthetic is pretty much a waste. I kind of have to agree. Though I still stand about there being definite applications where synthetic definitely is preferred (my car is one).

Tig1, I should have been more specific. Comparing to Mobil clean 5,000...i'd like to see a UOA run 8,000 miles and compare the to. I just don't think you can beat Havoline.

Originally Posted By: Troy_Built
Tig1, I should have been more specific. Comparing to Mobil clean 5,000...i'd like to see a UOA run 8,000 miles and compare the to. I just don't think you can beat Havoline.

I have a friend that has used Hav with very good results.

Originally Posted By: Old Mustang Guy
It appears that the direct injection engine may not be as hard on oil as we thought. Low fuel contamination also.

You can say this only after seeing a similar stellar UOA of an oil in one of these DI engines that has gone through a real winter with having seen say...at least 50% city driving.

Not comparable. You used 2 different filters,time of year,different mileages on the unit,etc. 2 very nice runs. Cheers for your motor!

Any thoughts between the 2 oils that I compared in this vehicle?

8000 Mile Run - Havoline DS w/ Puralator Classic Filter
8380 Mile Run - Pennzoil Plat. w/ Mobile 1 Filter

You got better wear metals with the Havoline, BUT TBN retention was better with the PP, as is kinda to be expected.

Very, very impressive run with Havoline!

Both runs look good. The Havoline has better wear numbers, but remember the PP was put in around 14,000 miles. So, a good chance of some residual break in material. Love the Moly in the Havoline Dino!

Right,Mike. Remarkeable run for the Havoline. Would be interesting to see 1 year runs with the same filter changed at the same time,etc., to reduce variables.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back