BEHOLD....the Nissan 15208-55Y00 OEM oil filter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here `tis! I had this on my car for 3 months with Pennzoil GT Racing 25W50. So whatcha think about this filter?

2jayxxs.jpg

2hecbr4.jpg

2l8xz.jpg

25g6hyu.jpg

2jaj0vk.jpg

xqdekz.jpg

154etyt.jpg

352fc4p.jpg

33vzq0y.jpg

2qn313r.jpg

The conglomerated stuff on the media is the "sawdust" from me hacksawing this thing!

Last edited:
Nice even pleats i like seeing that BUT looks thin can you get us a thickness reading with the calipers?

oh and finish that job get us some ripped open media shots with center tube!!

Hey Daman,how do I get the metal cap off of the pleated core? Can I just crack it off with a screwdriver and hammer? Wish I had something to measure the thickness of the can,but it`s VERY sturdy!!!!!

Last edited:
It actually looks pretty good. Metal end caps, silicon ADBV, even pleats and decent number of pleats. Most Nissan filters I've seen cut open have the cardboard end caps. Has Nissan changed vendors again?

Does it say who made that filter on the can ... like "Denso"?

Originally Posted By: crazyoildude
25w50 ??
That is a little on the heavy side dont you think?

I will answer this for aquariuscsm. Since he lives in texas, the temps he sees per his owners manual, he can run these thick weights. I asked the same question a month ago lol

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
It actually looks pretty good. Metal end caps, silicon ADBV, even pleats and decent number of pleats. Most Nissan filters I've seen cut open have the cardboard end caps. Has Nissan changed vendors again?
Does it say who made that filter on the can ... like "Denso"?
I don't think so. The one I have cut open here, has the cardboard endcaps, with nitrile adbv, made in China. Perhaps different specs for different apps.
21.gif
Mine was put on this year and was in the pics I posted recently on the 14610 alternative size thread.

I'll post up the dissection pics soon.

It looks somewhat similar to a purolator maybe even a non-ecore Champion Labs. What does the bypass look like?

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
Hey Daman,how do I get the metal cap off of the pleated core? Can I just crack it off with a screwdriver and hammer? Wish I had something to measure the thickness of the can,but it`s VERY sturdy!!!!!

hold it in hand or vise and just run a hack saw down the media all the way around,you don't need to cut the center tube just the paper media.then cut along the media lengh wise and open up.

thin weak/hard media will seem sturdy but will easy "break" when bent,not good.

the last nissan oil filters i bought had cardboard end caps i used them fore a while but i could not get past that made in china on them sure doo wish they were still made in japan

Originally Posted By: jdog
the last nissan oil filters i bought had cardboard end caps i used them fore a while but i could not get past that made in china on them sure doo wish they were still made in japan

Made me me realize,I forgot to mention,these Nissan filters are made in Japan.

Looks like the Union Sangyo to me. Made in Malaysia under license usually, ones I had were, NPN brand, says "oil filter" and number on filter. Pretty good to find the OE Japan made still. On this age Nissan car I think Union was OE. No bypass, long standpipe? I found Supertechs worked fine as well on this #.

i guess i need to go back too my nissan dealership and check and see if they have filters made in japan again the last ones i bought were made in china

The 300ZX specifies this filter which is different than filters for other Nissan applications and made in Japan. Most Nissan applications, like the Altima, Sentra, etc. use the one that's made in China.

Originally Posted By: ThirdeYe
The 300ZX specifies this filter which is different than filters for other Nissan applications and made in Japan. Most Nissan applications, like the Altima, Sentra, etc. use the one that's made in China.

Yep,you`re right ThirdeYe. The filter that Nissan makes for my car is the same one that fits all 1984-1996 Z32`s. You wouldn`t believe how heavy duty this filter is made! The can is so thick,that it will barely flex even when it`s cut open. The bottom part that screws onto the engine is extremely thick and heavy too. The can itself was so thick I could barely cut it open with a hacksaw. The Wix I`m currently using,I can flex (and crush the can) in my bare hands,but this Nissan one,I can`t.

The oil flow bypass is in the engine. And, since it'll be nicely varnished up, its worthless.

To [censored] with overrated OE filters. Looks pretty. Means nothing.

I'd use the Toyota Tundra ph3614 size filter. At least you'll have the insurance of a working bypass when oil flow is too high at those higher RPMs and during cold starts. Another option, if it fits, is Ford's PH3600 sized filter too.

Audi/VW also have filters with very high 20-30psi bypass. These are for those that have faith in the engine's bypass. When/if it doesn't work, at least there will be some flow 'insurance' from the higher bypass. Think of the Audi/VW filter as a 2-stage bypass. The filter's bypass will never kick in unless there is a definite failure with the OE engine mount's bypass.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back