Another Norton oil analysis

Status
Not open for further replies.
About the same mileage as before, this time with VR1 Monograde. It looks about the same as before. I'll retest this oil around 2000 miles.

E25693.png

Any idea what the "short" for flashpoint means this time? It looks like the Valvoline 20w50 Motorcycle oil has more Zinc than the VR1 50 weight monograde.

-Eric

Last edited:
That is very odd?? "SHORT", I assume it means less than the 375F minimum, Look at the differences from the newer on to the older one, Older one had 106ppm Boron and the other 8ppm? pretty much higher in "good stuff" in all categories. Somebody is smokin something somewhere. Either B/S or Ashland. Can you check the dates on the bottles? Unfortunately I think you need a blacklight though. I would complain to Valvoline if these #'s are right.

Originally Posted By: chubbs1
That is very odd?? "SHORT", I assume it means less than the 375F minimum, Look at the differences from the newer on to the older one, Older one had 106ppm Boron and the other 8ppm? pretty much higher in "good stuff" in all categories. Somebody is smokin something somewhere. Either B/S or Ashland. Can you check the dates on the bottles? Unfortunately I think you need a blacklight though. I would complain to Valvoline if these #'s are right.

They're different oils Valvoline VR1 50 wt monograde vs Valvoline Motorcycle 20w50, so that might explain the differences. Bottles are in the trash now. I sent in 2 oz, is that not enough to do a full test?

-Eric

i wish you had sent in more oil. for a redo.

i think this analysis is suspect.

why?

look at the background scatter.

do you *REALLY* have lead of 4 and tin and chrome in it?
i bet not.

iron seems a hair higher. not what you would expect. unless you take the scatter into account.

MONSTER susvis!!! *SWEET*

i lived in Raleigh, so i know the weather of Durham. i would run the 20w50 and be happy as a pig in slop.
eric, i would suggest running the 20w50 and make sure you shake the bottle a few dozen times before pouring it in and be golden.

rubber side down!
steve

Originally Posted By: sunruh
i wish you had sent in more oil. for a redo.

i think this analysis is suspect.

why?

look at the background scatter.

do you *REALLY* have lead of 4 and tin and chrome in it?
i bet not.

iron seems a hair higher. not what you would expect. unless you take the scatter into account.

MONSTER susvis!!! *SWEET*

i lived in Raleigh, so i know the weather of Durham. i would run the 20w50 and be happy as a pig in slop.
eric, i would suggest running the 20w50 and make sure you shake the bottle a few dozen times before pouring it in and be golden.

rubber side down!
steve

I'll retest this oil when I change it around 2000 miles. Maybe the higher lead levels are due to big end bearing wear at startup with the thicker oil? I guess it could just be scatter. I've looked at some other UOA's and it doesn't seem ridiculously high.

The zinc was higher in the 20w50 motorcycle oil and the phosphorous was higher in the VR1 straight 50 weight, so which has the higher ZDDP? I understand that phosphorous is what actually provides the antiwear characteristics in ZDDP.

-Eric

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back