Used PL14459 instead of PL14610

Status
Not open for further replies.
I learned on here that for some reason the PureOne PL14459 meets the 99.9% efficient rating and the PL14610 doesn't. Frankly, I doubt it matters much, but I decided to try the PL14459 which is fatter (3.15"), shorter (2.95"), but with the same gasket diameter. The 14459 fits really nicely on my Kawasaki Ninja 500, and I like the way it doesn't protrude as far and looks to be better protected in there (though I have never busted an oil filter!). In any case, I just thought that others might want to know there is another option to the frequently used NAPA 1355, the SuperTech ST7317, the PureOne 14610, or the Wix 51356 size. Just be sure to check that you can handle the fatter diameter.

The PL 14459 has more filter media in the can allowing it to earn the higher efficiency number. I make the same substitution on my Honda V6 automotive engines.

Originally Posted By: mahansm
The PL 14459 has more filter media in the can allowing it to earn the higher efficiency number. I make the same substitution on my Honda V6 automotive engines.

Will the 14459 fit the Honda 4's, like my 2005 CR-V? I now have a Pilot so perhaps I'll switch to these on that rig.

The 14459 has the same thread, gasket diameter, and relief pressure (within 1 psi or so) as the 14610. If there's room for the increased diameter, it will work just fine. One of mine is on an '03 Pilot, the other two on an '03 Odyssey and an '09 Odyssey.

Honda, back around 2003, used to sell a Honda branded filter (made by Fram) that was the same size as the 14459. Early in 2004 they switched to the 14610 equivalent (still made by Fram) for the same applications. I remember being disappointed at getting 6 of the new, smaller filters from an online parts house but used them anyway. Now I use the Purolator Pure 1 exclusively.

FlameBait: I also use Mobil 1 5W20 or 0W20 for all changes, waiting the recommended distance before the first change on a new engine. The '03 engines are on a 5000 mile schedule, the '09 has a maintenance minder and I follow its recommendations of about 7000 miles between changes.

Mahansm, would you (or anyone else who feels like replying) know if that filter could be used on a 2005 Honda Accord V6? (AT, Sedan, if it matters.) It stands to reason that the 7th-gen Accord, having been designed before early 2004, should have been engineered in such a fashion as to allow it to use the older filter. Indeed, I suppose that one could even suggest that it was designed *for* the older filter.

As someone who is now out of warranty, my concern with using the "approved" filters is less significant than that of receiving the best filtration. Should there be no flow or oil pressure issues issues, and considering that the motor could indeed have been engineered for a filter of this size, I see no reason to go for the 14610 as opposed to the 14459. Is that a reasonable opinion?

Thanks.

Edit: I apologize for putting this car-related question in a motorcycle and powersports forum. There seems to be somewhat of a related topic in the 'general' filters section; if I've headed out of topic, I'll repost there.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back