Amsoil XL 5W30 7,100 miles Mazdaspeed 3 turbo

Status
Not open for further replies.
First analysis shown was the original oil, second was Amsoil 5W20, and everything after has been Amsoil 5W30. Seems low in viscosity to me. And the iron seems high. Any comments?

Thanks!

17b1dc32.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Iron is high, but it is consistent across all your UOAs, so I dont' think it is anything to worry about. If it suddenly jumped to like 50 or more then I'd say something might be up. Otherwise, looks very very good.

Most of the wear metals are trending downwards as the engine gets more miles on it, so I wouldn't be too worried.

Looking at a few UOA from that link, it looks like PP/PU and Shell Rotella offer better results than most other oils as far as iron and copper.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: cjhepburn
Looking at a few UOA from that link, it looks like PP/PU and Shell Rotella offer better results than most other oils as far as iron and copper.

Some folks see what they want to see.

Quote:
Miles on oil - 5,124

Pennzoil Platinum 5w-30

Aluminum - 4
Chromium - 1
Iron - 34
Copper - 13

Please compare to the above OP. My brain can't quite extrapolate such data. Given the lack of sample size, the time the oil is in, the total miles on each car, the region, the weather, etc - drawing such conclusions about one oil being suerior is dreamer thinking at best. We all do it, but it ain't right.

Yep, you're right. I think I might have discounted that one because of the miles on unit, around 20k or so. Engine may have been still breaking in at 15-20k.
Most of the variance between the reports can probably be attributed to how it's driven. Most won't buy a Speed3 to baby it.

Quote:
Seems low in viscosity to me.

You'll find this in many applications. It just shears til it can't anymore ..and that's it. It's not like it's a progressive condition. This happens to Honda's ..whatever.

Look at this Maxlife Honda UOA It starts @ 11.5cSt and was in use about 5k
21.gif

My CX7 turbo spec 5w30 and I think your speed 3 does to. Whay are you running a 20wt in your turbo engine? OPs-missread your oil wt.

Last edited:
His first analysis was ff. Second was 5w-20 ..everything else since has been 5w-30.

It's sheared to a 20 weight
21.gif
The 5w-20 sheared to a slightly lower 20 weight.

My manual actually calls out 5W20 as the recommended oil in a few places. It was only after reading up on these cars that I started using 5W30. The recommended interval is 7500 miles but it doesn't seem as happy with that. It's my wife's car and she puts about 2,000 miles a month on it, mixed freeway / city.

Our Jetta 1.8T easily gets 10k out of M1 with wear metals much lower than this. Of course that motor has 165k on it and is fully broken-in.

Interesting that your manual offers 5w-20 as a choice. Not that I find it so odd, but I went through Amsoil's application guide for 2008-2010 and it lists the visc as 5w-30 for all temps for turbo's.

Is your manual generic for all 3's? It appears all the non-turbo engines spec 5w-20.

Other than the insolubles being higher than we're used to seeing, there's not a whole lot to criticize here.

Yes, it is a generic Mazda 3 manual. The manual is inconsistent (I am odd in that I always read the owner's manual cover to cover on all my vehicles) - some places 5W20, some places 5W30.

I am told that the early cars all spec'd 5W20 in their manuals and there was a rolling change to 5W30 (for the turbo cars) in 2007-2008. Maybe they gave me an old manual with our car (2009 model year).

The recommended interval is 7500, we were going shorter and shorter to try to find the sweet spot for this oil. I'll try a big jump to 6500 on the next change and see how it responds.

Last edited:
I've read my manual and I know it definitely says 5w30 for the 2.3l Turbo in it. I think the 5w20 thing is for the other Mazda 3 engines. I'll look again tonight.

I highly recommend going to a 5w40 though. Most of us with this car run that. Heck, even the dealer's are starting to ever since the smoking turbo issues began on this car.

Last edited:
I think Mazda allows the use of 5W-40 in the Turbo engines now. I'd use a good-quality 0W-40 or 5W-40 in it, the shearing is bad.

I'd be willing to bet iron would drop significantly if a 40-weight oil was used.......

Good morning,

I'm new to the forum and was just wondering if you did use end up going to the 5w 40. I have a 2011 Speed3. 11K miles on it. I have a blackstone report and will post it when I get a chance. My dealer uses Mobil Clean 5000. Seems ok for now based on blackstone's report.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back