Will Napa Gold 1516 fit the Toyota 2.4?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Still looking for an oversized filter for the 2.4. The Napa Gold 1516 gasket OD is 2.734. I spun a YZZD3 on to see how the gasket matched up. Looked OK but didn't crank the engine to test for leaks since I was not sure about the relief valve psi. Thoughts?

The WIX website lists the specifications for their filters......including detailed sizing.
I use the WIX 51516 on my 1MZFE 3.0L motor in place of the WIX 51348.
NAPA uses the same numbers, but drops the leading "5"
So.....that would be 1516 in place of 1348.
The 1516 is identical except it is longer.

Relief valve pressure is also the same.

Several on the various Toyota forums just go for the 'big boy' on the 22R (E). Filters like the: PL30001, PH8A, Toyota 15600-41010 or 90915-TD004 (big LC filter), Napa 1515. Just food for thought...

Many also use the 1516, PL20195 etc.
cheers3.gif

Last edited:
yeah I got a guy at work who switched to the 1515 size on his 4.7 Tundra, which takes the 1348 size stock

he hasn't had any problems in the passed 10k miles

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: H25B
Several on the various Toyota forums just go for the 'big boy' on the 22R (E). Filters like the: PL30001, PH8A, Toyota 15600-41010 or 90915-TD004 (big LC filter), Napa 1515. Just food for thought...

cheers3.gif

Would the gasket diameter of these larger filters be an issue for the 2.4?

Would you consider the 1516 sufficient for a 10k OCI? That is my ultimate goal. Currently switching out OEM @ 5k.

Last edited:
In most cases it's not the filter, it's how you drive it. If 10k is composed of mostly warm up miles, sure. If 10k is filled with only warm up miles. Not a chance.

Originally Posted By: Back40

cheers3.gif

Would you consider the 1516 sufficient for a 10k OCI? That is my ultimate goal. Currently switching out OEM @ 5k.

Gary's points are spot-on and I agree, it's more about does the oil warm-up fully or is the 10k miles comprised of many short, cold trips? Does it get many highway miles/month? If it gets fully warm and spends a fair amount of time on the road go for the 10k or 1year, whichever happens first.

I would give an 2 extra bonus points to the 51515 (1515). 1) The media is larger, that can't hurt when going for a long OCI but as Gary alludes to, it may not help. The 1516 is, IMHO, adequate for the 2.4L. 2) The media of the 1515 appears to be a bit different. In addition to being larger it's listed as having a glass/paper hybrid media vs the straight paper media listed for the 1516. Generally for long OCI's with synthetic oil synthetic medias are preferred.

The gasket diameter should be within .1" or so. It'll work fine and as I said, many with the 22R (E) 2.4L in old 4Runners and trucks use the 1515 size all the time...

If it were me I'd go with 1515 for the media and consider the extra size an added bonus. A synthetic media filter in the 1516 filter size would make me comfortable too. I wouldn't run the stock sized (little) Toyota filter the full 10k. That's not intended to be a super-scientific statement but rather an opinion on my part:)

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Gary Allan
In most cases it's not the filter, it's how you drive it. If 10k is composed of mostly warm up miles, sure. If 10k is filled with only warm up miles. Not a chance.

Both of the 2.4L Yotas are driven 70/30 hwy/city. Few short trips.

However, my vehicle (05 Tacoma 4.0L) is driven 50/50 hwy/city with 2 short trips a day(12 miles round trip @ apprx 35-45mph) 5 days a week. I am currently using an EAO34 filter & Amsoil 10w30 with a 10K OCI. The used oil analysis @ 8500 indicated no problem going to 10k. However, I will be switching to a standpipe filter next oil change. Do you see an problem with a 10K OCI for this type of driving?

cheers3.gif

Gary's points are spot-on and I agree, it's more about does the oil warm-up fully or is the 10k miles comprised of many short, cold trips? Does it get many highway miles/month? If it gets fully warm and spends a fair amount of time on the road go for the 10k or 1year, whichever happens first.

I would give an 2 extra bonus points to the 51515 (1515). 1) The media is larger, that can't hurt when going for a long OCI but as Gary alludes to, it may not help. The 1516 is, IMHO, adequate for the 2.4L. 2) The media of the 1515 appears to be a bit different. In addition to being larger it's listed as having a glass/paper hybrid media vs the straight paper media listed for the 1516. Generally for long OCI's with synthetic oil synthetic medias are preferred.

The gasket diameter should be within .1" or so. It'll work fine and as I said, many with the 22R (E) 2.4L in old 4Runners and trucks use the 1515 size all the time...

If it were me I'd go with 1515 for the media and consider the extra size an added bonus. A synthetic media filter in the 1516 filter size would make me comfortable too. I wouldn't run the stock sized (little) Toyota filter the full 10k. That's not intended to be a super-scientific statement but rather an opinion on my part:)

Thanks for your feedback H25B! I will give the 1515 a try.

Last edited:
However, I will be switching to a standpipe filter next oil change.

I don't like the design of the standpipe filters as I believe it creates most of the oil flow to only go through the filter media next to the holed center tube area. Just my view.

I need to clarify something. Apparently Toyota 2.4-litre motors use 2 different canister filters: WIX numbers 51348, as is being discussed here, and 51396, which is used by my sister's '08 RAV4 (2AZ-FE). I was hoping the 51516 that we've been discussing would fit my sister's motor, but it seems that the gaskets are not close enough in size to be a proper fit.

If anyone is contemplating using the longer 51516 on a Toyota 2.4, be sure you check which filter your motor uses.

Would these 1515 Napa Gold oil filters also fit a 1997 Toyota 4Runner, V6? I was leaning toward changing from my K&N "teacup" towards a longer filter like the Napa Gold 1516. So, is the 1515 filter another viable option to use for long distance driving?

Thanks

Have you tried the 51516 on the Rav? I have yet to see anyone have an issue between the 2.7/2.8 vs. 2.5/2.4 gasket sizes. I mean, it may have happened, but I cannot recall an instance in all of my time here.

The gasket is O.D is 2 52/64", I.D. 2 30/64"'s for the 1515 sized filter. The 1516 sized filter has 2 51/64"'s O.D. and a 2 30/64"'s I.D.

That's in significant IMHO.

Disclaimer: The Baldwin company offers great, informative download full catalogs. Regardless of your opinion of the filters the catalog is great! I came up with those dimensions by crossing the Napa numbers to Baldwin and then reading the specs. Are my numbers 100% accurate for the Napa filters? Maybe, maybe not but they are very, very close:) I took the liberty of doing the math and converting the Baldwin values so they were all in 64th's rather than lowest common denominator as published.

Originally Posted By: mongo161
Would these 1515 Napa Gold oil filters also fit a 1997 Toyota 4Runner, V6? I was leaning toward changing from my K&N "teacup" towards a longer filter like the Napa Gold 1516. So, is the 1515 filter another viable option to use for long distance driving?

Maybe, do you have room to accommodate the extra diameter? You want to inspect carefully and consider the engines' float within range of motion the engine mounts allow.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
However, I will be switching to a standpipe filter next oil change.

I don't like the design of the standpipe filters as I believe it creates most of the oil flow to only go through the filter media next to the holed center tube area. Just my view.

As the guy who's cut a few apart I can say that may be a valid concern with the Baldwin but not the Wix/Napa. I'm sure, in theory, there may be a minor difference when new but the second any stuff is trapped it'll flow very evenly (with the Wix).

The real question for Back40 is will the standpipe help on the 2.4L? What's the filter orientation? If it's 90 degree's or more it won't help IMHO. IMHO the standpipe filters have something to offer when the filter screws on at an angle where the open end is lower than the dome end. On my 4.0L Toyo it's almost vertical, open end down. (Pics in this thread.) For me the standpipe is a very good thing and helps minimize dry starts. My oil pressure light goes out almost instantly, as fast or faster than it did with the OE mini-filter.

River_Rat, in my 'standpipe thread' (linked above), made the suggestion of the Pure PL25230. It's a 1516 sized filter and it's considered a very good filter (for the price). They are readily available too. It has a silicone ADBV AND it has an anti-siphon valve. If the filter goes on to the block at a 90 degree angle that may be the "magic bullet" for the 2.4L and 10k intervals. It has a good amount of media and should resist drainout quite well.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back