Castrol Edge 0W-20

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm currently using it in my 08 Jeep Liberty and am pleased with it. Very quiet, in fact the quietest of all the oils I've tried in it, which included PP 5W20, M1 0w20, and Amsoil 0W20. Sound is not very scientific, but if noise is an indication of parts making some kind of contact then quiet is good. I'm hoping to see PU 0W20 at some point, I'd like to give it a try.

Originally Posted By: Bruce T
Yes, PU 0W-20 is the final oil that I plan to test, so I wish they would hurry up and release it.

Me too, just don't hold your breath waiting. PP 0W20 has been out for quite a while, I've never seen it in a store, and I'm not going to order it online and pay shipping. I wasn't overly impressed with the specs on it either.
27.gif
Edge 0W20 is working very well for me, so unless the PU 40*C, 100*C, and pour point, etc are better I might not change.

I'd like to see Castrol get the Edge 0W-20 into Walmart at $26.50 for a 5-quart jug (or whatever their current price is). The only place I've seen the 0W-20 Edge is at Pep Boys at $8.50/quart. No way.

I got Edge 0W20 at AAP $29.99 for 5 qts and a Bosch top of the line filter, the name is slipping my mind. I thought that was a good deal. I wouldn't pay $8.50/qt either.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
Me too, just don't hold your breath waiting. PP 0W20 has been out for quite a while, I've never seen it in a store, and I'm not going to order it online and pay shipping. I wasn't overly impressed with the specs on it either.
27.gif
Edge 0W20 is working very well for me, so unless the PU 40*C, 100*C, and pour point, etc are better I might not change.

Yes, the highly limited availability of any mass market product makes me grumpy, especially when the product has been out for some time. Now if this was because retailers were refusing to stock it, then I could understand.

Of course, VOAs can only provide a limited snapshot, and don't always predict real world performance, so it will be interesting to see more UOAs of these 0W-20 oils.

I agree! As I see it though not many Bitog'ers are using Edge 0W20, or any 0W20 for that matter. It might be quite a while before UOA reports start popping up. As I mentioned if engine sound is any indication, even slight then I'm happy with it. No burn off either, another good sign. Time will tell.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
As I mentioned if engine sound is any indication, even slight then I'm happy with it.

It is to me (engine sound). All else being equal, I'd rather hear my engine purr than tick. And for the most part, with my service schedule and vehicle types, all else IS equal, in terms of protection from various brands of motor oil. I'll prefer the quietest one, every time.

We think alike. Nothing scientific, no UOA's to back it up. I realize I can run gear oil in the sump and probably get it super quiet. But within the same grades of oil, to me the quieter oil is certainly a plus.

[/quote ]
It is to me (engine sound). All else being equal, I'd rather hear my engine purr than tick. And for the most part, with my service schedule and vehicle types, all else IS equal, in terms of protection from various brands of motor oil. I'll prefer the quietest one, every time. [/quote]

+1

Originally Posted By: johnachak
[/quote ]
It is to me (engine sound). All else being equal, I'd rather hear my engine purr than tick. And for the most part, with my service schedule and vehicle types, all else IS equal, in terms of protection from various brands of motor oil. I'll prefer the quietest one, every time.

+1 [/quote]

I couldn't agree more! The real shame in all of this is this is a VOA from the SM version. IMO they killed the SN formulation, after looking at the PDS sheet.

The bottled Honda numbers looks pretty good. Not sure why the 0w20 can't be used on a car with 5w20 such as 2010 3.7 TL

Originally Posted By: buster
Hmm, strange. Tbn #'s are kind of low aren't they? Edge is using Na too.

Looks like a cheap oil only good for the shorter OCI's normal in the USA. The lack of detergents (Low TBN) would be a real concern for older worn engines. Titanium can be used insted of Zinc based additives and I hope the combination works, as this oil has no Moly or Boron.
Sodium adds confuse UOA results as it looks like a HG or oil cooler leak. It's used as a cheaper alternative to Ca or Mg and like those adds has a secondary effect in anti corrosion terms, but also has a minor effect in anti wear terms.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back