8,1 l/100km (29 mpg) in hybrid SUV

Status
Not open for further replies.

rcy

Just finished a trip from Burlington, Ontario to Erie, PA, spent a couple days there at Splash Lagoon and did a bit of local city driving. Then to Grove City, PA (Prime Outlet Mall) then back to Burlington in a 2006 Lexus RX400h.

Total was 777.0 KM (exactly - how weird is that?)

Mileage per the onboard trip computer was 8.1 l/100km (or 29 mpg) - not bad I think for a relatively large and heavy SUV.

Before entering PA where it got quite hilly (especially from Erie to Grove City) it was actually at 7.8 l/100km.

There were two adults, two kids and the assorted luggage for a two day trip. On the way back add a whole bunch of purchases from the outlet mall.

I drove a steady 100km/h (62 mph) for the majority of the trip.

That is a reason why the lexus is on our short list when needing a bigger vehicle.

While the smarter move would be to just offer a small, clean diesel, most consumers wouldnt consider it, so we are stuck with more complex technology.

All the same, the numbers cannot be beat. I think the new ones in WD form are 32 city?!? Considering that a corolla can't even do that, it is pretty impressive and a good reason to look at one as a local hauler...

Since it really has the space/weight capability, it would be nice if it was a PHEV or whatevr it is called, so that traction could be purely electrical up to some point/speed. Granted that would surely require Li-ion chemistries and thus the safety issues and cost.

But all the same, can't complain about those numbers... Just still too bad there isnt a nice little I6 diesel option for it.

That is excellent... My Santa Fe is really heavy and is averaging about 12L/100KM's with all the junk I carry around for work and my solid butt.
lol.gif

So 8L/100Km with all the weight you were carrying and with a bigger engine sounds good.
thumbsup2.gif

Hybrid vehicles can only get 29 MPG with a slow 62 MPH is not good at all, it should be in mid to high 30's. My '00 MB E430 with 4 adults + luggage for 4 day trip to Vegas with speed in the 80's and 90's returned 26.xx MPG. Yes, I use 5W20 instead of the spec'd 0W40 in the engine and tire pressure was 44 PSI according to placard, because I did venture into triple digits when possible (light traffic and no cop around). MB E430 is a heavy sedan and wear sticky high performance tires, the EPA for highway is 24 MPG.

HTSS - apples to oranges. Significantly different vehicles, aerodynamics, etc. I can get 40 in my saab when it is rated 34. Heck, I got 33 in my new BMW which is rated 28, and probably has as much HP and sticky rubber as your 430.

And let's not forget that cruising at 62, the hybrid function may not be doing much a lot of the time anyway. As I mentioned above, the real spectacular part is when you can get 30-32 in pure city driving... Try getting that with your 430!

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
Hybrid vehicles can only get 29 MPG with a slow 62 MPH is not good at all, it should be in mid to high 30's. My '00 MB E430 with 4 adults + luggage for 4 day trip to Vegas with speed in the 80's and 90's returned 26.xx MPG. Yes, I use 5W20 instead of the spec'd 0W40 in the engine and tire pressure was 44 PSI according to placard, because I did venture into triple digits when possible (light traffic and no cop around). MB E430 is a heavy sedan and wear sticky high performance tires, the EPA for highway is 24 MPG.

You're comparing a car with it's better aerodynamics to an SUV. Also the E430 RWD which you consider a 'heavy sedan' is only 3702lbs. The RX400 is 4365lbs (with AWD, which mine is). You should compare your vehicle to the GS450h or perhaps even the LS600h, though I think the GS would be a fairer comparison.

Also, isn't it somewhat flat around Vegas (desert and whatnot?) as compared to the hills of PA where I was?

Forgot to mention in my original post that the A/C was on the whole time as well and I have the AWD RX.

And, since this is BITOG, I am currently running Quaker State synthetic 5w30(Q Horsepower maybe - I don't remember) in place of the Toyota 0w20 that I normally use (because I had a two year old jug I needed to get rid of).

Last edited:
True - Hybrids shine in city driving. Highway driving is all motor. I routinely get anywhere between 21-23mpg with mostly city miles with Tahoe Hybrids that I drive for work. These are right off the line not fully broken in units, too.

Originally Posted By: GMBoy
True - Hybrids shine in city driving. Highway driving is all motor. I routinely get anywhere between 21-23mpg with mostly city miles with Tahoe Hybrids that I drive for work. These are right off the line not fully broken in units, too.

You'd be surprised at how often (as per the graphic display in my NAV screen of what the hybrid system is up to) the electric motor is assisting the ICE in powering the front wheels during highway driving. Going uphill, the traction motor will assist the ICE as it will if I need sudden acceleration. The other nice thing is complete shutdown of the ICE when travelling downhill (if the hill is steep enough to maintain the speed of the vehicle).

It's not all engine at highway speeds by any means.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: rcy

Also, isn't it somewhat flat around Vegas (desert and whatnot?) as compared to the hills of PA where I was?

LA to Las Vegas starts not far above sea level and ends up at 2,000 feet elevation. On the way you go over 3 passes higher than the highest point on PA, with the highest at 4,700 feet and 2 more crests essentially the same altitude as the highest point in PA.

The highway tend to be more long pulls and not as much short up and downs as the hills in PA. It's hard to say which would be the worst for mileage. Whichever requires the most gearing down or use of brakes to maintain speed I suspect.

You'd be surprised at how often (as per the graphic display in my NAV screen of what the hybrid system is up to) the electric motor is assisting the ICE in powering the front wheels during highway driving. Going uphill, the traction motor will assist the ICE as it will if I need sudden acceleration. The other nice thing is complete shutdown of the ICE when travelling downhill (if the hill is steep enough to maintain the speed of the vehicle).

Well that is kind of a bummer then. I would have hoped that the MPG situation was really effected by the fact that the massive carriage of the vehicle was being powered mostly really by the ICE, and there wasnt much assist or regeneration.

After the electrical system offers some assist, does the engine get loaded heavier to recharge, or does it sit at a low SOC to wait for free energy to charge it back (regenerative breaking)? If youre going down the hill and the engine turns off but you dont touch the brake, does the battery recharge? A generator action would act like a brake, slowing you down, so I can see scenarios where the battery could get dropped to a low SOC with no chance to regenerate it without loading the engine (hurts MPG) or slowing the vehicle (which has to be made back up by burning gasoline).

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
We've considered a hybrid RX earlier this year... then I started doing some math and came to the conclusion that you would need to be putting on huge amounts of miles for the MPG improvements to offset the initial higher cost of the hybrid RX over the regular RX...

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1737637#Post1737637

You could buy a used one (like I did) and the math will be different.

In my case the mileage was secondary. I bought it because I like gadgets (and this is one giant gadget) and it was also the most powerful, quickest and loaded of the RXs.

The better gas mileage, lower emissions, etc., were not a deciding factor in my purchase. In fact (and this is my opinion only) I would bet most buyers of this vehicle are in the same boat.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2

Well that is kind of a bummer then. I would have hoped that the MPG situation was really effected by the fact that the massive carriage of the vehicle was being powered mostly really by the ICE, and there wasnt much assist or regeneration.

After the electrical system offers some assist, does the engine get loaded heavier to recharge, or does it sit at a low SOC to wait for free energy to charge it back (regenerative breaking)? If youre going down the hill and the engine turns off but you dont touch the brake, does the battery recharge? A generator action would act like a brake, slowing you down, so I can see scenarios where the battery could get dropped to a low SOC with no chance to regenerate it without loading the engine (hurts MPG) or slowing the vehicle (which has to be made back up by burning gasoline).

Any time you are coasting in this vehicle, the electrical motors (front - and rear if you have AWD) regenerate electricity. So going down a hill, if it's steep enough, you can maintain speed and regenerate. If it's not steep enough you will slow down (very slowly, mind you, it's not like 60 - 0 in 10 seconds are anything).

Also, with the hybrid, there is no alternator, power steering pump, belt driven A/C (or drive belts for that matter). There is a 12 volt battery up front that is used to power up the computers when the vehicle is first started and the odd accesory, otherwise the traction battery is powering a lot more than the front and rear wheels.

So as you drive, engine power is needed to keep the battery charged as it depletes from the A/C, electric power steering, Mark Levinson stereo, kids watching DVDs etc. etc. The traction battery also recharges the 12 volt battery as there is no alternator.

Also, to answer one of your questions, the battery does not sit at a low SOC after offering assist, it is constantly being charged in an attempt to keep it around 80% fully charged (Toyota having figured out that between 20 and 80 is best for the life of the battery). At highway speeds, it pretty much stays at 80% (like I mention below, MG1 can charge the battery at the same time as powering MG2). In the city, I can keep it in full electric quite easily and deplete it to 20% at which time the ICE will start to charge it back up.

It's actually interesting to watch the energy monitor when driving. Sometimes MG1 ( supplies energy exlusively to the battery, sometimes exclusively to MG2 (which drives the front wheels), sometimes to both, and sometimes I see energy flowing from both MG1 and the battery to the wheels (MG2). Interesting fact - in reverse, it's pure electric. The ICE does zero assist when driving backwards.

If you're really interested

http://www.autoshop101.com/forms/Hybrid01.pdf

is a decent write up on the Toyota hybrid system (for the Prius, but the technology is the same in the RX)

or

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hybrid_Synergy_Drive

Last edited:
Forgot to mention (this being BITOG, I should have included this in the first post), I normally use Shell Premium 91 octane as it has 0% ethanol. My wife filled the car before the trip and used Petro Canada regular, 87 octane (can contain up to 10% ethanol). Outside temp was between 28 and 30 celsius, and my tire pressure was 34psi all around.

Forgot to mention (this being BITOG, I should have included this in the first post), I normally use Shell Premium 91 octane as it has 0% ethanol.

It's nice that you have that option in Canada. Down here all Shell grades contain ethanol.
frown.gif

I don't know why the gov't pushes ethanol so much...
IDK about Canadian politics but in the US the farm lobby (corn) is VERY powerful.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back