2006 Hyundai Tucson timing belt

Status
Not open for further replies.

OVERKILL

$100 Site Donor 2021
So my aunt was down today. She has a 2006 Hyundai Tucson, and puts on about 35,000Km a year.

The vehicle has just over 140,000Km on it and she's telling me that she has been putting off changing the timing belt.. And that it is due, or maybe a little overdue.

I was shocked and quickly googled some horror pictures of what happens on an interference engine when the belt breaks. She was a little freaked out but said she can't afford it right now. Apparently the going rate for this "service" is $900+????

I looked up the interval, and found 60,000 miles. That means she's a good 40,000Km overdue!!!!!
crazy2.gif

Anybody else familiar with this vehicle enough to know if this interval is indeed correct? And if this engine (V6) is an interference engine? (I assume it is)

She was stating that the reason she bought the Tucson was how hideous her Chevy Venture was that came before it (it was a scrap-pile). And that the Hyundai has been wonderful. I'm thinking that her sentiment might change (no matter how user-induced) if she's handed the bill for an engine replacement if this lets go.......

Don't panic. Hyundai belts are made in high quality standards by Gates Inc. The OEMs Hyundai Timing Belts are specifically made and guaranteed to last 105,000 miles or more with proper maintenace intervals and not too much relining or abuse on the engine itself. As for your application, the V6 engine is an interference engine and damage can occur from completely toasted engine or coming out lucky with just a top end rebuild depending on engine speed and rpms while driving (extremely rare cases.) The correct maintenance intervals for the timing belts is exactly 60,000 miles. Find a independent mechanic you can trust and do the timing belt along with a water pump relacement and replacement of all accessory belts for safety and assurance. The costs of the job should be somewhere between $350 - $550.

Thank you. I will let her know. I think the price tag was what was really scaring her off..... Trying to tell there that the price tag associated with NOT doing it was going to make the belt bill look like pocket change I had hoped would convince her in taking care of it.

My dad has an 07 2.7 Tucson that is coming up on the 60k mark and I was wondering about this 60k interval that is listed in the manual. Not sure if he should stretch it out or not...

The Tucson has been a good car for him. The only issue he had was around 45k when the A/C compressor went out.

Like your aunt, the Tucson replaced a 2001 Acura TL that was a real pile. It was in the shop constantly with all sorts of problems (including 3 transmissions). He has really liked the reliability of the Tucson.

If the interval is 60,000, I would change the belt immediately. Hyundai has not had a spotless record on timing belts and any timing belt job is going to be a fraction of the cost of a remanufactured engine.

Timing belt replacement intervals seem to range anywhere from 100-150,000 km, depending on what is recommended by the manufacturer. Over here, the replacement interval for a '06 Tucson is 100,000 km, although in some other markets it very well could be 150,000.

Might be worthwhile pulling the timing cover and taking a look at the condition of the belt, just to be on the safe side. When they stretch, they can also make some sort of a whirling noise, which I had on my '01 Camry with 65,000 km back in March.

If you do opt to change it soon, make sure to replace the camshaft seals, crankshaft seal, water pump and timing belt tensioner whilst you're at it. Most of the time, these do not need replacement, but you only want to do this once and forget about it until the next interval.

Also, be careful when trying to remove the crankshaft sprocket if it is stuck, which seems to be common. Spray a bit of CRC Freeze Off, let it sit for a minute and spray some again before prying it off. Best of luck.
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL
So my aunt was down today. She has a 2006 Hyundai Tucson, and puts on about 35,000Km a year.

The vehicle has just over 140,000Km on it and she's telling me that she has been putting off changing the timing belt.. And that it is due, or maybe a little overdue.

I was shocked and quickly googled some horror pictures of what happens on an interference engine when the belt breaks. She was a little freaked out but said she can't afford it right now. Apparently the going rate for this "service" is $900+????

I looked up the interval, and found 60,000 miles. That means she's a good 40,000Km overdue!!!!!
crazy2.gif

Anybody else familiar with this vehicle enough to know if this interval is indeed correct? And if this engine (V6) is an interference engine? (I assume it is)

She was stating that the reason she bought the Tucson was how hideous her Chevy Venture was that came before it (it was a scrap-pile). And that the Hyundai has been wonderful. I'm thinking that her sentiment might change (no matter how user-induced) if she's handed the bill for an engine replacement if this lets go.......

I have the same engine in my Santa Fe and the belts I have changed at 100K KM's are like brand new. I would say it would be good for 5 years or 200K KM's no problem. (Wouldn't push it that far but if it happened you would be OK.)

$900 is a rip-off. The dealer quoted me $400 with a water pump included. (Don't do the water pump, they last forever)

It's an interference engine and it would be catastrophic if the belt snapped as the valves seat into the pison heads with only minor clearance so you can imagine if it snapped with the valves down and the piston on the way up.
shocked2.gif

They also use a hydraulic tension er which you need a strong pin (a clip from brakes straightened works good).

Also like Falcon_LS mentioned the gear sprocket at the bottom always sticks on the alignment pin and is a royal PITA to get off. (This is common on most Mitsubishi and similar engines)

Also with the double overhead cam and the way the belt routes it's is PITA to get it on with all the timing marks lined up because you have to actually retard 1 cam sprocket by 1/2 of a tooth so that when the belt is on and the tensioner tightens it up it will be perfect.

Need anymore details PM me...

Last edited:
I would recommend replacing the water pump at the same time. It would be a ton of labor just to get to the water pump if something happened. I had to replace the timing belt on my GF's civic and the timing belt wasn't bad but the water pump was on its way out. I did it on a car with the proper mileage for replacement (90K miles) but the timing belt had been running for 12 years (6 years longer than it should of).

Positive that Gates supplies the timing belts? My Kia Rio came with an unknown brand "to me at least" belt and Kia's are a sister compny to Hyundia. However I would use a Gates for replatement "first choice" second choice would be Dayco.

Regarding the water pump, change it every other time.

As others have said, $900 smakers is a rip off, search around for an independent garage with certified mech's, should not cost more than $300 to $400.

Originally Posted By: J_Sap
I would recommend replacing the water pump at the same time. It would be a ton of labor just to get to the water pump if something happened. I had to replace the timing belt on my GF's civic and the timing belt wasn't bad but the water pump was on its way out. I did it on a car with the proper mileage for replacement (90K miles) but the timing belt had been running for 12 years (6 years longer than it should of).
Actually these water pumps are very easy to get to without have to take the timing belt off because they are run by the back of the belt.

The cover inside the wheel well comes off and then the cover behind the serpentine belt and bob's your uncle and it's out.

Less than 1 hour on these cars so I wouldn't replace it with the belt.

Replace it when it's leaking especially because I have seen these engines go to the scrap heap with the original pumps.

The 2.5's and 2.7's are good engines and use the same pumps.

Originally Posted By: jcwit
Positive that Gates supplies the timing belts? My Kia Rio came with an unknown brand "to me at least" belt and Kia's are a sister compny to Hyundia. However I would use a Gates for replatement "first choice" second choice would be Dayco.

Regarding the water pump, change it every other time.

As others have said, $900 smakers is a rip off, search around for an independent garage with certified mech's, should not cost more than $300 to $400.

Mine was a Hyundai/Kia branded belt that was made by Gates and that was the case for the one that came with the car and the one I bought from the dealer...
21.gif

Yeah my quote was $400 from the dealer including the water pump.

I chose to do it myself by wanted to know the cost in case I was lazy.

I know my dads friend that apprenticed under my dad works at CTC in Burlington and he does them for $150. I could hook you up if she wants to make the drive and supply the belt to him.

Steve

Originally Posted By: S2500Dog
Don't panic. Hyundai belts are made in high quality standards by Gates Inc. The OEMs Hyundai Timing Belts are specifically made and guaranteed to last 105,000 miles or more with proper maintenace intervals and not too much relining or abuse on the engine itself. As for your application, the V6 engine is an interference engine and damage can occur from completely toasted engine or coming out lucky with just a top end rebuild depending on engine speed and rpms while driving (extremely rare cases.) The correct maintenance intervals for the timing belts is exactly 60,000 miles. Find a independent mechanic you can trust and do the timing belt along with a water pump relacement and replacement of all accessory belts for safety and assurance. The costs of the job should be somewhere between $350 - $550.

Does Hyundai or Gates put that 105,000 mile belt warranty in writing? How about a copy and paste of that one?

Originally Posted By: StevieC
... Actually these water pumps are very easy to get to without have to take the timing belt off because they are run by the back of the belt.

Exactly. If this is the 2.7L, don't let the service center talk you into a water pump replacement. It's not needed on this particular engine, nor is cam or crank seal replacement. A new T-Belt and OEM tensioner and you are good to go.

Joel

Originally Posted By: Eddie
I don't have the 2.7 L manual handy but, I think the recomended TB change interval is 105,000 MILES. Y or N?

It depends on the year and application of the 2.7L. My 2008 Santa Fe AWD 2.7L specs a T-belt change every 75Kmi/60mo for normal service and 50K/48mo miles for severe service. Regardless of the 2.7L, I wouldn't touch it until beyond 75Kmi. These are not known to be troubled engines in regard to T-belts.

Joel

Originally Posted By: Eddie
I don't have the 2.7 L manual handy but, I think the recomended TB change interval is 105,000 MILES. Y or N?
Mine calls for 100K KM's (60K miles) but it's like brand new at this interval.

Originally Posted By: JTK

Exactly. If this is the 2.7L, don't let the service center talk you into a water pump replacement. It's not needed on this particular engine, nor is cam or crank seal replacement. A new T-Belt and OEM tensioner and you are good to go.

Joel

Forgot about them suggesting those seals to me. Thanks for reminding me. Mine are original like the water pump and it has 320K KM's (192K miles) and both are doing just fine as original OEM.
wink.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back