OCI for a 2000 Nissan Pathfinder V6 with PP?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My cousin bought a Pathfinder with about 75k miles on its second engine a few months ago and is about to need an oil change. I don't know much about Nissans, but from what I have read on BITOG, it seems like they are hard on oil. She will be buying PP with the $5 coupon and will likely be buying a Supertech or Fram filter because they are readily available at walmart.

I would like to know what i could possibly stretch her OCI's to without a UOA (She can't afford one) in order to save her some money over time. Her drives are short, usually 4-5 miles to work and occasionally around town the same distance. No known mechanical problems and it doesn't seem to burn any oil.

Thanks in advance!

I had the same pathfinder , took it to 210K when I sold it and still going strong.

I ran Amsoil in mine but PP 5w30 with a decent filter (better yet oversized if you can find one) easily 7500miles OCI with that driving pattern.

These engines like to sludge with dino, I got mine used there was some noticeable sludge/varnish in it, took about a year of running the synthetic at 5k OCI to clean it out little by little. Might want to take a peak in the fill hole with a flashlight..

Good luck.

Pennzoil Platinum will easily go 7,500 thru 10,000 miles without any problems. Just make sure to use a quality oil filter such as Mobil 1, K&N, Wix, Purolator, Napa, Ac Delco, STP, OEM Nissan, or even the Fram Extended Guard which will provide much better protection than the Supertech or Fram Extra Guard.

Well... I took silvert4r's advice and took a peek down the fill hole and guess what i found...sludge! It's coating the inside of the engine. I snapped some pics with my phone and will likely be able to post them later tonight. I'm posting from my phone, so posting pics is a little bit of a pain. I guess it's time to see exactly how well PP can clean!

Here are the pics I took. Not the best quality, but you can definitely see the sludge. There is a nice coating of it in there.

So my question has been modified slightly. How long should the OCI's be with PP when used for cleaning this engine?

On a side note... I really want to pop the valve cover off for before/after pics, but I don't want to cause a possible leak if the valve cover gasket is shot.

7cb03902.jpg
017a356c.jpg

f2ab6c03.jpg
296a457a.jpg

Originally Posted By: MoparDak05
My cousin bought a Pathfinder with about 75k miles on its second engine a few months ago and is about to need an oil change. I don't know much about Nissans, but from what I have read on BITOG, it seems like they are hard on oil. She will be buying PP with the $5 coupon and will likely be buying a Supertech or Fram filter because they are readily available at walmart.

I would like to know what i could possibly stretch her OCI's to without a UOA (She can't afford one) in order to save her some money over time. Her drives are short, usually 4-5 miles to work and occasionally around town the same distance. No known mechanical problems and it doesn't seem to burn any oil.

Thanks in advance!

If I mail you a bottle of Auto-RX (for free) would you consider doing a before/after pictures and run with it for BITOG? using the directions and the oil that Auto-RX recommends?

That has to be neglect.
If its one thing Nissan makes that is awesome, its an engine.

All the Nissan engines in my family are not only spotless inside, but run like Day-1.

Just be dilligent with it and it should come clean and last a long long time hoping that no damage has been caused.

I can ask my cousin if she would be fine with it. I have no problem doing it, but I would have to have her consent to take off the valve cover and get some before pictures.

What do you think the odds are that the gasket will not seal correctly after taking it off for the pictures?

Originally Posted By: nycsneak
Looks like the oil was never changed after the install of the second motor,

I may have worded it incorrectly, but what I meant was that the first engine was toast and the place she bought it from installed an engine with 75k miles on it.

I essentially begged her not to buy it. The price was way too high and the "dealer" is a big rip-off. They buy junk cars and sell them with overdoses of stop-leak and no-smoke. They also overfilled the engine by a quart, and they are supposed to be a certified repair shop.

I can ask my cousin if she would be fine with it. I have no problem doing it, but I would have to have her consent to take off the valve cover and get some before pictures.

What do you think the odds are that the gasket will not seal correctly after taking it off for the pictures?

Ok that would be great... You might have some minor seepage issues but should be ok. As the sludge gets cleaned up the leaks should stop with the Auto-Rx or use of an oil with Ester content.

Seepage would be the most you would see not loads of oil leaks or anything. Probably not even a drip on the ground.

Can you do a compression test before & after? Would that be possible to?

You would do an excellent thing by doing this for BITOG!

Originally Posted By: StevieC

Ok that would be great... You might have some minor seepage issues but should be ok. As the sludge gets cleaned up the leaks should stop with the Auto-Rx or use of an oil with Ester content.

Seepage would be the most you would see not loads of oil leaks or anything. Probably not even a drip on the ground.

Can you do a compression test before & after? Would that be possible to?

You would do an excellent thing by doing this for BITOG!

Well i have some mildly bad news. There is about a snowball's chance in a hot place I'm going to be able to get this valve cover on and off. It is covered by so many electronics and hoses that I'd probably end up screwing something up. About the only way I can get before and after pics is through the fill hole. The other valve cover is essentially not accessible due to the intake and other parts covering it.

It is totally up to you, but I'm not a mechanic, so I don't want to take a chance on screwing up some electronics in the car. The compression test is quite possible, my buddy's dad may be able to handle that one for me.

Ok see if you can get a compression test before/after and just take the best pics possible through the fill hole... That should be good enough.

Would be nice to take the cover off but I guess it's not possible...
frown.gif

Originally Posted By: StevieC

Would be nice to take the cover off but I guess it's not possible...
frown.gif

I know, I'm sorry. I would love to take it off to get pics, but I don't want to take a chance on screwing up my cousin's car. It is her only means of transportation.
frown.gif

I don't know when I can get a compression test done, it may be a little while. If this thread goes dormant, I will revive it when I get it done.

Do the test, and then PM me your address at that time and I will send you a bottle of ARX.

You are OK following the directions on the ARX site?

cheers3.gif

Yes, that is fine with me. I will do the "Sludge Application" as it is written on the site.

Like I said earlier, I have to make sure my cousin is OK with this, but I'm sure she won't care. She knows that I would never do anything to harm her car and that I know what I'm talking about when it comes to oil. That's why she has me do her changes.

I will update you when I am able to test the compression...If I have to test it myself, I may only be able to do a couple cylinders depending on what plugs I can actually get to/take out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back