Different types of coolant - where to find a list

Status
Not open for further replies.
My boss and I were talking yesterday and he told me that the pink Mopar coolant was just Dexcool. This based on what the local GM/Dodge dealer puts in the Dodges (Dex). I'm thinking that after 2002 or so, they went to G-05. I told him that color doesn't mean anything because they dye it and there are several different formulations of coolant. He says that G-05 is an after market brand made by Zerox (Zerex) and is kind of an all makes all models stuff. I tried to tell him that G-05 was in use in the 80's by some of the Euro manufacturers.

Naturally I know this to be complete and total B/S, but I would like to find some printable info that gives a timeline of their introduction and use and breakdown of their properties for proof and (his) enlightenment.

Mostly sites like Zerex's... I know theres bound to be something better though. I even showed him the Zerex application guide that kind of timelines it, but it went right over his head.

Chrysler uses G-05 that is dyed pink. I think both Ford and Chrysler G-05 is supplied by Zerex. Zerex has a chart showing when G-05 became OEM recommended. It's saying '01 up Zerex

Also, G-05 is an acceptable replacement for old school green. Just make sure you flush the system really well (I'm changing my Jeep to G-05 now).

Thanks guys! I'll print this out and see if it makes it through his head.... Wish me luck!

Most 2011+ Fords will use:

Motorcraft Speciality Orange Coolant VC-3-B
Ford Specification: WSS-M97B44-D

Once you cut through the all the bull its Dex-Cool.

Yeah it certainly is dexcool. Really it's about time since dexcool has basically taken over the market and people are putting it in anyway. All new cooling systems should just be made dexcool compliant and end all the confusion. We still need Green and G-05 for older models though.

Ford's current coolant application chart does not show a major shift to Dex-Cool. See

http://www.fcsdchemicalsandlubricants.com/main/quickref/scuc_English.pdf

For most vehicles with aluminum engines, Ford stipulates Motorcraft Specialty Green, a Japanese P-OAT coolant reportedly based on Mazda FL22 coolant. The Flex, Fusion, Taurus, Edge, Milan, MKS, MKT, MKX, and MKZ all use it.

Ford originally tried using Motorcraft Specialty Orange coolant (Dex-Cool) in the 1999-2002 Mercury Cougar but subsequently abandoned it until this year. Ford re-introduced Dex-Cool in a few 2010 models (Expedition, Transit Connect, Navigator) and an
early-release 2011 model (Fiesta). Later this year, Ford will expand the usage of Dex-Cool to the 2011 Escape/Mariner, Mustang, and most truck models.

Given Ford's recent preference for Specialty Green (FL22) in smaller aluminum engines, the choice of Specialty Orange (Dex-Cool) for the Fiesta is puzzling. Perhaps Specialty Green (a Japanese coolant) was not a viable option in Europe where the Fiesta was developed. The chart also suggests that the 2011 Mustang 3.7 V6 will use Specialty Orange even though the 2010/2011 MKS with a similar engine already uses Specialty Green. Similarly, the chart shows that the 2011 Ford Explorer 3.5 V6 will use G-05 even thought the 2010/2011 Ford Edge and Taurus with nearly identical engines already use Specialty Green.

Perhaps the information in the chart for the 2011 model year is incomplete.

I'm not sure what Ford is doing but it appears they first started switching from G-05 to speciality green Mazda type coolant. Then they started switching models to specialty orange which is Dexcool. I guess it depends on the model and whether the car has been completely redone. It sure looks like the trend is toward speciality orange.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back