Pure One and AAP Total Grip.

Status
Not open for further replies.
The AAP TG has ~5k/5month OCI and cost $1.45. The Pure One just came off a 7k/1 year OCI and cost ~$3.75 with $10 AAP coupon. Very satisfied with both. Apologize for pic quality, still practicing but thrilled to have figured out how to get this far. WOOT.

UOA007-1.jpg

That AAP filter looks like a nice quality filter, glad I bought them when I had the chance. I only have 2 remaining, and a ton of P1 filters.

Yeah, I have 3 TG's left and several P1's, but will be getting more at AAP before before months end. Actually with the exception of color and nitrile vs silicone adbv they do look very similar.

Perhaps a better pic of the TG.

UOA002-1.jpg

Does AAP still offer them? I paid about $1 each on a closeout. How much are they selling for now? It might be worth me loading up on them for the beater and save the P1's for the Jeep.

Thanks

Unfortunatley the ones you got for buck was the final closeout price. Not too shabby! Many including me, sorry to see them go, and have run them on several vehicles for ~5K. Oh well.

Better pic of the P1

UOA003-1.jpg

Have you noticed any paint problems? I had it early on and sent them back to Purolator. I now have a nice supply of paint problem free, puke colored, filters. The few I've recently opened in the stores seem to fine.

Interesting. I thought the AAP TG filters had cardboard end caps. If I had seen this earlier, I would have bought some.

I'm only sorry I cleaned out just one store, and not the other two in the area
frown.gif

None. Just installed one on my Honda 3.0L as a replacement for the one in the pics. Have two more 14610 that are pristine and no texture in the boxes either. Same for the TG's with similar texture. Was at AAP yesterday to see if the they had QSHPUD qts. in 5w20 so thought I'd check my filter app sizes and some random. Checked 4-5 and saw no issues with the texture on any.

If you remember Busa like you had some with early supply from Amazon he posted here, that he cleaned with a carb spray on a QTip. Didn't stop him from using. Personal use I have not seen it, so I have no issues, can't complain. Been a great bang for the buck filter for me.
21.gif

Originally Posted By: badtlc
Interesting. I thought the AAP TG filters had cardboard end caps. If I had seen this earlier, I would have bought some.
Likely because the box said compare to Fram and had Fram numbering system. But, they are...were made by Purolator. Don't feel bad, some managers and employees thought the same.

Last edited:
Like I said my replacements were perfect, and Purolator is a hassle free company to deal with. The few in the stores I've checked have been fine. I think poor stock rotation still has a few flaky filters in stores. Also filters that are less popular might still be in circulation with paint issues, so having a look before buying is always a good idea.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
Like I said my replacements were perfect, and Purolator is a hassle free company to deal with. The few in the stores I've checked have been fine. I think poor stock rotation still has a few flaky filters in stores. Also filters that are less popular might still be in circulation with paint issues, so having a look before buying is always a good idea.
Very good points. For the value, interior construction and efficiency, looking in the box is a minor inconvenience, IMO. But, always a good practice with any filter.

Where I live you have to look in the box for other reasons as well. Many people stick the Classic Filters in the P1 box, put the P1 in the Classic box and buy it. They beat the store for $2, and probably feel good about it. I've opened more than 1 P1 box and found a white Classic Filter in it. Some of the stores check at the register, but when its busy they sometimes don't.

Wow, now I've never seen that. You gotta love the Big Apple, and the burbs, eh?
lol.gif
48.gif

Now I have seen at Wally a Tough Guard (perhaps orange can), in an unsealed XTended Guard Box. I'm convinced that's the major reason Fram sealed the XG box, to discourage that type of thing.

Definitely a good reason to check inside the box though.

Nice photos, I always check my box, I like to see if the gasket is there. I had a Purolator Classic missing the gasket, and a Proselect once. I also look for defects, threading and overall quality lol.

Thanks. Not sure what I'm more pleased with, the results of the use of the TG and P1, or finally knowing how/being able to post pics of the results.

Been saving up filters(ha), have a couple other TG's but the results are the same so won't bother. Have a 5k Motorcraft FL-820S and some spark plugs I may post at some point.

Another good thing is I can now take the filters to the recyling center, instead of storing them in the garage. And, I agree looking in the filter box before purchase is a good idea for many reasons.

I just did a 6217 mile OCI using an AAP Total Grip. Did not do a UOA this time though, would have like to seen how it held up. Maybe I should cut it open?

Edited to add that I have more than actual miles recorded, due to having 30x9.50r15 tires over stock 235 75r15.
Dealership wants $90 to recalibrate.

Last edited:
Quote:
I dont think aap still sells their own filters at least in nj
True, after being moved from the front shelves to the back with commercial accounts, they went on close out, first at $1.45 and final at $.95. For awhile AAP went to the Puro Powerflo and now Puro ProMotive, but those have consolidated many applications, using the shorter version in some cases for several apps.

fwiw, I once did a ~4k UOA with Valvoline Prem. Conv. using the AAPTG posted on UOA board, it was great, with longer OCI rec.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back