05 Legacy GT - 87k - Rotella T6 5w-40 - 7k on oil!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've waited to post until I had three oil analyses done. My car is an 05 Legacy GT Wagon, 5MT. Only "mods" are a Cobb AccessPort running a Stage 1 91 octane map. Oh, and the very expensive Hog-zawst.
grin2.gif

My driving mileage is probably 80% highway and 20% city. I typically average about 24 - 26 MPG (usualy with 10% ethanol fuel, since it is hard to find non-ethanol around here). I occasionally will push the car hard but not very often.

The blue text was added by me to show what oil and oil filter was used and to clarify how many miles were on the oil.

I would appreciate some thoughts on this. I went from 4k miles on the M1 to 4.6k miles on the Rotella. Then, I was curious and extended the last interval to 7.5k!

I can't tell a single bit of difference between this interval and the last 4.6k interval with the Rotella.

It appears that the Rotella held up better than the M1 did originally. Would you agree with this?

Think I should stick with 7.5k OCIs or go back to something like 5k? I average about 2k miles per month.

Thanks all.
e18235redacted300.png

Last edited:
Looks very good. See no reason why you cannot continue with 7500 mile OCI.

What air filter are you using, and how often do you change it?

Originally Posted By: SubLGT
Looks very good. See no reason why you cannot continue with 7500 mile OCI.

What air filter are you using, and how often do you change it?

I use the regular Subaru air filter. I replaced it at about 30k and 60k.

Originally Posted By: sxg6
I know calcium has been all over the place on the recent T6 uoa's, but 400? Very strange

Yeah, I saw that. To be honest, I don't know what the possible effects of this are. I read that Shell has been reducing calcium in its diesel oils, but I doubt they would have changed formula this early.

What do you think it means?

Originally Posted By: NYSteve
Have you removed the turbo oil return line filter? I know they have been an issue on extended drained GT's

No, I haven't removed it. I'm thinking about taking it out sometime this summer, but am not looking forward to taking all the TMIC and related stuff off. Don't get me wrong, I can do it fine, I just don't enjoy doing that stuff anymore. I guess I'm getting old.

Lab error on the calcium is my guess. Maybe a sampling error, or maybe it's supposed to be 962, that would be much closer to the other T6 uoa's. Or you could have a new batch with some form of calcium which doesn't show up on blackstones equipment?
54.gif

I'm planning to take a sample at about 5k miles (I have a Fujimoto valve so this is easy) and if all looks fine change at 7.5k and sample again. If all looks fine, I'll probably stick with the 7.5k OCI.

I think reports like this oughta be used as evidence when someone asks "What oil should I use" on boards like NASIOC and everyone replies "Rotella T6" (or Redline, or Motul, and never ever ever Mobil 1 or Royal Purple). Granted your report says you could just as well use Mobil 1 5w-30, which has become the turbo Subaru community's redheaded stepchild.

Though your car did do well on the Mobil 1. Probably would do well on almost anything with all those easy highway miles.

And I'm glad to see I'm not the only person running the hogzaust! Catback, peh.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: JohnSoPA
.....but am not looking forward to taking all the TMIC and related stuff off. Don't get me wrong, I can do it fine, I just don't enjoy doing that stuff anymore. I guess I'm getting old.

Yeah, getting the intake hose off the TMIC can be a challenge. Once the TMIC is off, that is a good time to also change the fluid in the clutch reservoir.

I have to change my OEM air filter 3x as often as you to get my silicon as low as yours.

Wow, Rotella is a proper oil. Appears that on your second run of the T6, everything is trending down... and holds up in the long haul to boot. Looks like a solid combo you got there!

Just put another 7k miles on this oil, this time with a PureOne filter. IMHO, the results are basically the same. I posted this over at LegacyGT.com, but I'll repeat here...

Quote:
OK, here is the latest UOA report.

What's interesting is that my miles, while about the same (7k or so), are spread over almost double the time period (five months). I did far fewer long trips. My commute to my office is about 10 miles each way. So, I think I'm probably in the mode of more city than highway driving, at least in terms of hours, if not in miles.

However, the report is basically the same, for all intents and purposes.

I think I'm going to try 10k next time. This thing won't quit!

e37418.png

Anyone notice Mg is 800?

THAT'S where your cleaning is coming from.

Even then, it doesn't matter - results are stellar for 7500 miles on a modded turbo!

I am still disappointed with the low detergent levels. I thought Rotella was in the low to mid 2,000 range?

(Some of the older UOA;s show this)

I guess I would want more detergents if I was running long OCI's

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back