Pennzoil Ultra 5W-30 4,584 2009 Traverse + 4 UOA

Status
Not open for further replies.
Im posting this for a member on the Traverse forum.
Most recent is Pennzoil Ultra 5W-30 using PF-48 oil filter.
3 before that are Mobil 1. (1st one is factory fill).(Ill verify this info).

kawazarUOA.jpg

Geeeze those engines really tear up oil, and spit out shavings!

It's hard to tell if this is 'good' or not - it's break in, and numbers are going down a bit, but fuel dilution could still be causing the oil to lose it's ability to protect.

I really think a 40-weight needs to be used to mitigate fuel dilution in these engines.

Originally Posted By: addyguy

I really think a 40-weight needs to be used to mitigate fuel dilution in these engines.

Or maybe a heavy 30 weight like GC so any warranty concerns are mitigated.

Originally Posted By: hate2work

Or maybe a heavy 30 weight like GC so any warranty concerns are mitigated.

Funny you mention this as I am currently using GC in this same engine. And the next oil I will try is the HDEO CJ-4 Esso XD 0W30. Surely one of these two oils has to show well?
21.gif

Last edited:

It's hard to tell if this is 'good' or not - it's break in, and numbers are going down a bit, but fuel dilution could still be causing the oil to lose it's ability to protect.

Actualy, metal shavings most likely would not show up in a UOA. As this engine matures the numbers will improve, but for a GM engine I think it looks good.

Originally Posted By: tig1

Actualy, metal shavings most likely would not show up in a UOA. As this engine matures the numbers will improve, but for a GM engine I think it looks good.

I was using the term 'shavings' very loosly, not literally!

I understand. In another UOA thread this came up. I remember BuickGN had an engine fail, but his UOA was normal. Metal through out the engine. It's weird how that works.

I understand. In another UOA thread this came up. I remember BuickGN had an engine fail, but his UOA was normal. Metal through out the engine. It's weird how that works.

so based on the UOA- would you guys go with Mobil 1 or Pennzoil Ultra?
(im asking this- so that other Traverse/Acadia/Enclave/Outlook owners with this engine- who are sent to this thread from the Lambda forums- can get a good idea of what you oil gurus can tell from these numbers- and what you recommend)...

These engines are rough on the oil. Shears it up.

But wear looks good compared to the M1 UOA's.

I would have to go with Ultra.

Originally Posted By: ZZman
These engines are rough on the oil. Shears it up.

Of course fuel dilution will thin out the oil but given that this most recent report, at face value, shows less fuel than all the other UOAs it would seem that mechanical shear is inherent with this engine?

I know that the wear numbers are going to get better as the engine wears in, and that this engine is still fresh, but I still think that the drop in iron from M1 to Ultra is pretty significant. I am willing to bet that if M1 was used on this last run that the iron level would've been higher than 24 (but not as high as the previous run)

So far all signs are pointing to Ultra being a very good oil. I can't wait to see the UOAs directly comparing it to PP.

Quote:
so based on the UOA- would you guys go with Mobil 1 or Pennzoil Ultra?

I think its to early to tell. Need more trending with the Ultra, and the M1 results are skewed by the engine breaking-in. Who knows, the M1 could have better results than the Ultra after the motor was broke in completely.

What does the OLM say with only 4500 miles on these very good synthetics?

I'm curious is GM has done any long term testing with this fuel dilution. I am not an expert at reading the tests, but all of these oils ended up around a 20wt right?

Correct- this is the 3.6 DI engine.

on a side note--- a friend of mine recently purchased a Cadillac STS- previously owned, She said shes only done an oil change 1 time- and it was done by the dealer- when the OLM came on. She did say that it was Synthetic.
I told her what the 3.6 DI is doing to oil.....
Are Caddy owners seeing the same thing with the shearing and higher iron counts in those 3.6's?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back