Camaro 6.2L V8 SFI Oil Recommendations?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anyone have one, or if you did, what oils would you consider for the 6.2L V8 SFI?
This car is on my list (SS) and I was thinking beyond my Scion for a while and realized I haven't owned an America V8 in 25 years.

What would you folks have to say? Don't care about the cost of it - just based on what you know of current GM engines etc.

SB

Anything wrong with the Mobil 1 5W-30 that is/was factory fill (If they havnt went to 5W-20)? That's what I always used in my LT4 and LS1 Vettes.

Many people like higher viscosity oils that are up around 12.0 cSt like the 0W-30 German Castrol in LSx Engines but I dont know if its on the GM approved list.

PS you do know their are two different 6.2L in Camaros right?
LS3 (Corvette) in Manuals and L99 (Truck) in the Autos.

Last edited:
Yes, this is the LS3.
Nothing wrong with M1. Use it myself. I just don't know much about these new GM engines.
I've also used GC.

Originally Posted By: Steve S
A Ford would would be a wiser choice considering G.M. reliability over all.

31.gif

Originally Posted By: Steve S
A Ford would would be a wiser choice considering G.M. reliability over all.

Although I may agree with the overall build quality of GM cars, I will not agree with you about the LSX engine. This is the best GM V8 ever, and one of the best of all V8 engines. With proper maintenance it's easily a 200,000 mile engine.

Originally Posted By: Unleashedbeast

Although I may agree with the overall build quality of GM cars, I will not agree with you about the LSX engine. This is the best GM V8 ever, and one of the best of all V8 engines. With proper maintenance it's easily a 200,000 mile engine.

Or double that!

HPIM0191.jpg

That pic was taken a year ago, I'm sure the guy has a lot more on his LS1 Corvette by now!

Originally Posted By: Patman

Or double that!

HPIM0191.jpg

That pic was taken a year ago, I'm sure the guy has a lot more on his LS1 Corvette by now!

Right on Patman! The LSX series of engines changed the way many viewed a GM V8, well....maybe not everyone considering why we are on this subject.
56.gif

I had a neighbor that wore out 2 vettes in the 26 years we were neighbors. They were dailey drivers and both made over 250,000 miles. I still am wary about G.M. products. You get a good one and they are winners only thing there are many bad ones there. I did lots of fleet maintenance. Odds favor Ford.

There are bad and good in all brands, it's just luck of the draw. GM still makes a lot of good cars, the Camaros and Corvettes are definitely two of them.

But let's not get further off topic here, the original poster wants a Camaro, so let's not question his choice, but answer his question instead.

My vote would be to go with either Pennzoil Platinum or Pennzoil Ultra. Both oils have the GM 4718M rating that's needed for the LS3 engine, and Platinum is a proven performer in the LSx engines (and I'm sure Ultra will prove the same as the future UOAs come out)

I'm confident in the new Camaro (and a few other GMs) as well as Ford.
I don't mind a little brand banter, but please, Bowtie Camaro will eat your Mustang.
And they haven't done a Z/28 yet.
To be honest, loved both as a kid, and I do now, but my '69 Z/28 was my first real killer car (302) and I want this new Camaro as it's based on the '69 styling.
Now, back to oil please?

Originally Posted By: Patman

My vote would be to go with either Pennzoil Platinum or Pennzoil Ultra. Both oils have the GM 4718M rating that's needed for the LS3 engine, and Platinum is a proven performer in the LSx engines (and I'm sure Ultra will prove the same as the future UOAs come out)

Thanks. I'm not a Pennz guy, but I'd probably give the nod to the Ultra if I tried it.

Back on track (I think), is there any oil that may offer an advantage to the presumably DI induced valve deposits that are seemingly common in DI engines? If I had one, I'd probably install a catch can ASAP, but beyond that, I'm wondering if any oils are better contributors to lower valve deposits (likely from lower evaporation)?

If Mobil one is recommended (factor fill) to be used by the people who designed and made the engine, then I'd say its good enough for you to use.

Originally Posted By: PurplePride
I don't mind a little brand banter, but please, Bowtie Camaro will eat your Mustang.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1897700&page=1

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1912822&page=1

http://forums.themustangsource.com/f726/stock-a6-5-0-12-73-115-a-483725/

http://www.mpt.org/motorweek/reviews/rt2936b.shtml

http://forums.themustangsource.com/f726/livernois-motorsports-tuned-2011-mustang-gt-5-0-a-484441/

Timeslip from a 100% bone stock '11 GT Auto running with traction control on:
2010-05-27100656.jpg

...click the link and read the caption below the video.

The L99 and LS3 Camaro really have nothing for the new Mustang.

Sorry, I'm not meaning to derail the thread, just had to respond to that comment.
grin.gif

My Chevys have always run best on Pennzoil. I highly recommend the Platinum or the Ultra in whatever viscosity it calls for. M1 is a darn good oil, but IMO, the Penn products have been quieter and smoother.

Last edited:
Ben, I FULLY agree with you, BUT I believe Purple Pride thinks that Steve S has an earlier Stang (and that's what he was referring to), NOT a '11 Coyote pony!!

Now if they ever drop an LSA into a lighter (than current) f body (as I believe P.P. is implying with the Z28 reference), it will be a different story.
Yes, I know, forced induction vs. NA and all, but it will be quicker.
Would it beat the GT500/KRs, Shelbyized versions, etc., etc., who knows?
21.gif
ALL speculation at this point.
wink.gif

Purple Pride; even though you don't like Pennz products, I have to agree with Patman (and the others) on the Platinum or Ultra if you want to meet the GM specs, and are worried about the warranty.

If you are willing to take your chances (on possible warranty challenges in the VERY slight chance of something going south with the LS3, but not because of the oil), then yes, I would go Red Line, Torco SR-5, RP XPR, or one of the upper Amsoil products.

Originally Posted By: ekpolk
Back on track (I think), is there any oil that may offer an advantage to the presumably DI induced valve deposits that are seemingly common in DI engines? If I had one, I'd probably install a catch can ASAP, but beyond that, I'm wondering if any oils are better contributors to lower valve deposits (likely from lower evaporation)?

The LS3 V-8 Purple Pride is referring to is NOT direct injection.
wink.gif
(The V-6 is. Maybe that's what you were thinking of??)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back