by Nick1994
20 minutes 51 seconds ago
M1 ESP 5W30
by e55amgbenz007
21 minutes 17 seconds ago
"2013" 5.0 Stang oil?
by Camprunner
40 minutes 1 second ago
7,000 miles on oil... change before trip?
by Klutch9
Today at 09:50 PM
Wiggling brake shim
by Klutch9
Today at 09:45 PM
Sensen Struts, talk me into or out of them
by Clubber_Lang
Today at 09:23 PM
Ticks when it needs an oil change!
by Realtech214
Today at 08:43 PM
Mounting transmission cooler
by ARB1977
Today at 08:38 PM
need a rec on oil extractor..
by dblshock
Today at 08:36 PM
Favorite cut of steak?
by Rand
Today at 08:11 PM
Maryland Fried Chicken.
by 123Saab
Today at 08:05 PM
Newest Members
Samial, TomHh, JPowell490, LubeMan52, Powermax
50782 Registered Users
Who's Online
90 registered (901Memphis, asiancivicmaniac, 123Saab, 1kickbuttranger, 2010_FX4, 05LGTLtd, 7 invisible), 1374 Guests and 216 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
50782 Members
64 Forums
216927 Topics
3414709 Posts

Max Online: 2862 @ 07/07/14 03:10 PM
Donate to BITOG

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#1922189 - 06/13/10 07:37 PM Re: How the grinch stole Sturgis... [Re: andrewg]
porkchop01 Offline

Loc: Texas
It seems that with all the repeat Harley bashing that goes on here at BITOG that people that ride Harley's are not welcome here. Been reading all the threads that start out good go down the toilet after a certain few members here start there bashing. I happen to ride a Harley and all this anti HD is getting kinda old. Just sayin.
70 Ford F100
06 Harley FXDI 88ci
07 Yamaha Grizzly 250
13 Kawasaki mule 610xc 4x4

#1922210 - 06/13/10 07:56 PM Re: How the grinch stole Sturgis... [Re: porkchop01]
mpvue Offline

Loc: Easton, PA
Originally Posted By: porkchop01
It seems that with all the repeat Harley bashing that goes on here at BITOG that people that ride Harley's are not welcome here. Been reading all the threads that start out good go down the toilet after a certain few members here start there bashing. I happen to ride a Harley and all this anti HD is getting kinda old. Just sayin.

I like harleys also (but don't have one), and I think its important to separate the BRAND from the RIDER. not all harley riders are the obnoxious biker slob, just like all BITOG members aren't anal-retentive UOA OCI complusive oil nerds.
if you ride a harly, thats cool. but don't get offended if anoymous people make fun of some of them. who cares?

#1922231 - 06/13/10 08:20 PM Re: How the grinch stole Sturgis... [Re: mpvue]
Panzerman Offline

Loc: Daytona, Florida
Ive been to variuos biker events and although its nowhere near as bad as it once was, it was the "Harley" bikers that would pick because people were on Japanese motorcycles and had the attitude if you didnt ride a Harley, then you were just a poser, when it couldnt be futher from the truth, most people I know rode Japanese bikes because that is what they could afford and it was the doctors, lawyers and professionals that had the bucks to buy the Harleys and be the posers. You can ussually pick them out by thier cute little Mad Max outfits.

#1922258 - 06/13/10 08:46 PM Re: How the grinch stole Sturgis... [Re: Panzerman]
XS650 Offline

Loc: Northern CA
Originally Posted By: Panzerman
You can usually pick them out by their cute little Mad Max outfits.

LOL

AKA "Rugged Individualist Uniforms"

--Mark Twain

#1922291 - 06/13/10 09:30 PM Re: How the grinch stole Sturgis... [Re: XS650]
boraticus Offline

Loc: Canada
Originally Posted By: XS650
Originally Posted By: Panzerman
You can usually pick them out by their cute little Mad Max outfits.

LOL

AKA "Rugged Individualist Uniforms"

Silly me. I thought those outfits were for auditions to fill the vacancy in the Village People???

Ply sem skennert man....and macho, macho man affer dat....

#1922333 - 06/13/10 11:15 PM Re: How the grinch stole Sturgis... [Re: boraticus]
andrewg Offline

Loc: Covington, Wa.
It's funny now how the Harley attitude of being a 'tough' guy and looking unshaven, rough, and rather nasty....now finds a backlash of folks getting rather tired of the whole thing. If people that ride Harleys....especially those with the 'sinister' look (complete with the dorky fake pony-tails, wallet chains, and head sock to cover the bald spot) want real respect and acceptance from mainstream, family folks....perhaps smile once in a while and clean the look up a bit. I find that most Harley guys try way too hard to be arrogant and nasty looking. Who wants to befriend a guy on a bike that looks like he just got out of prison? Think about it. Don't get me wrong....I've got a couple of friends that do the whole comical Harley thing (do they ever get tired of black and orange....yuck!). They are good people....but they seem to have an identity problem. Too busy posing and 'acting' tough instead of just being a cheerful motorcyclist out on a nice ride.

#1922840 - 06/14/10 01:02 PM Re: How the grinch stole Sturgis... [Re: andrewg]
fuel tanker man Offline

Loc: wytheville, va
I don't want respect from guys like you. I must admit that when I see a dweeb on a metric HD copy, I think "powder puff."

:D

#1922862 - 06/14/10 01:26 PM Re: How the grinch stole Sturgis... [Re: fuel tanker man]
andrewg Offline

Originally Posted By: fuel tanker man
I don't want respect from guys like you. I must admit that when I see a dweeb on a metric HD copy, I think "powder puff."

:D

In reference to what I ride.....I'm a Triumph fan actually. But do you really think it's correct or fair to label anybody that rides any other v-twin than a Harley....a 'dweeb' or 'powder puff'? Harley Davidson isn't the only bike manufacturer out there with 'cool' bikes. I like some of them, but in all honesty the whole 'Harley' thing has long ago become very tiresome. I blame it on marketing and consumerism. They have over saturated the market and perpetuated a culture that many just don't find appealing anymore. Nothing against anybody that enjoys riding a Harley or any other bike though....it would just be nice if they would stop the boastful nature and the whole obnoxious image of the 'rebel' thing.
Just my opinion....means nothing and not intended to offend.

#1922891 - 06/14/10 01:55 PM Re: How the grinch stole Sturgis... [Re: andrewg]
mpvue Offline

Loc: Easton, PA
I just wish they wouldn't rev the [censored] things in crowded residential neighborhoods! OK! you're a rebel! we GET IT! now keep it QUIET!

#1922997 - 06/14/10 04:22 PM Re: How the grinch stole Sturgis... [Re: andrewg]
Propflux01 Offline

Loc: Arkansastan
Originally Posted By: andrewg
It's funny now how the Harley attitude of being a 'tough' guy and looking unshaven, rough, and rather nasty....now finds a backlash of folks getting rather tired of the whole thing. If people that ride Harleys....especially those with the 'sinister' look (complete with the dorky fake pony-tails, wallet chains, and head sock to cover the bald spot) want real respect and acceptance from mainstream, family folks....perhaps smile once in a while and clean the look up a bit. ......

This is whats so funny about people around here. Sayings like "Harley Attitude".. Funny that I see so many people on "Metric Cruisers" that look, talk, act, and smell exactly like those "Harley Riders"... So either someones trying the "Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery" saying, or maybe its just some people in general, no matter what they ride, are just slobs. I guess every guy in the world who rides a Gold wing is upstanding, friendly, non drinking, non imposing to everyone else in the world. Hardly...
If you have ever ridden a Harley, you would understand its no different than why someone would only ride Crotch-rockets or Brit-bikes or gold wings. Its a personal preference to a distinct style of sound, feeling, and ride that each one gets from his/her own bike. And if you think HD riders are 'stuck up' or "holier than thou", wait till you come across the average BMW rider.... smirk

A 55 Gallon Drum And A Shovel Can Solve A lot of Life's Little "Problems"

#1923076 - 06/14/10 06:10 PM Re: How the grinch stole Sturgis... [Re: Propflux01]
andrewg Offline

Originally Posted By: Tim H.
It's funny now how the Harley attitude of being a 'tough' guy and looking unshaven, rough, and rather nasty....now finds a backlash of folks getting rather tired of the whole thing. If people that ride Harleys....especially those with the 'sinister' look (complete with the dorky fake pony-tails, wallet chains, and head sock to cover the bald spot) want real respect and acceptance from mainstream, family folks....perhaps smile once in a while and clean the look up a bit. ......

This is whats so funny about people around here. Sayings like "Harley Attitude".. Funny that I see so many people on "Metric Cruisers" that look, talk, act, and smell exactly like those "Harley Riders"... So either someones trying the "Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery" saying, or maybe its just some people in general, no matter what they ride, are just slobs. I guess every guy in the world who rides a Gold wing is upstanding, friendly, non drinking, non imposing to everyone else in the world. Hardly...
If you have ever ridden a Harley, you would understand its no different than why someone would only ride Crotch-rockets or Brit-bikes or gold wings. Its a personal preference to a distinct style of sound, feeling, and ride that each one gets from his/her own bike. And if you think HD riders are 'stuck up' or "holier than thou", wait till you come across the average BMW rider.... smirk

I'll offer some more opinions here since this is what this thread is about. No insults intended....I agree that for the most part many folks on 'metric' cruisers do indeed wish to emulate the Harley crowd....and yes, they are every bit annoying with the very dated 'rebel' thing going on. But I don't think they are a 'wanna be' rebel or fake cruiser just because they ride an metric bike. Heck, many of those large metric cruisers cost as much as any Harley....and they are just as legit as any other motorcycle. Harley doesn't 'own' any title in my book, except perhaps as a bike for folks that want attention and acceptance among other Harley admirers. There are so many Harleys out there these days that they hardly qualify as anything original or special in my book. But that's fine.....it's just not my thing nor do I feel the Harley 'image' is really a good one for motorcycling.
And no, all Goldwing riders aren't always going to be model citizens. But odds are they don't subscribe to an attitude and culture that is akin to barbarism.
I have ridden all kinds of bikes with various displacements, engine configurations, as well as foreign and domestic. Some are great to ride and some aren't. I don't stick with ONLY one bike brand.....that would be boring for me. I love Triumph Bonneville's.....but I liked my VTX 1800 too. Interestingly, I do not like racing style bikes AT ALL. I do marvel at the technology they put into them, but after riding one once I decided they are not my kind of bike. Many foolish young kids ride those things like they are never going to die (but of course they do....in rather large numbers). And I have been around BMW folks. They all seem nice to me. Never had one treat me poorly (or pass me on the shoulder like many Harley riders have).
No, I like almost all types of bikes. It's just the prevailing culture and attitude of Harley riders that after twenty five some years since their rebirth, I have really become tired of the annoying loud noise, the immature 'bad-boy' outfits, and the overwhelming saturation of the marketplace (Harley everything....t-shirts, watches, boots, jackets, truck models, hats, and everything else under the sun).

#1923082 - 06/14/10 06:19 PM Re: How the grinch stole Sturgis... [Re: Propflux01]
porkchop01 Offline

Loc: Texas
You guys need to come down from your high horse and get to know some of these "Harley Riders". You might be suprized just how nice those people realy are. Ever heard af B.A.C.A.? TOYS FOR TOTS ring a bell? What about the Shriners hospital for kids? There are many,many more. Guess what? These "HarleyRiders" Raise an untold amount of money for these organizations along with the all thy toys for unfortunate children of this country. And all you guys (and you know who you are) are laughing at and bashing these people,while hidding behind a keyboard. Who's the real POSER'S?
70 Ford F100
06 Harley FXDI 88ci
07 Yamaha Grizzly 250
13 Kawasaki mule 610xc 4x4

#1923109 - 06/14/10 07:05 PM Re: How the grinch stole Sturgis... [Re: porkchop01]
andrewg Offline

Originally Posted By: porkchop01
You guys need to come down from your high horse and get to know some of these "Harley Riders". You might be suprized just how nice those people realy are. Ever heard af B.A.C.A.? TOYS FOR TOTS ring a bell? What about the Shriners hospital for kids? There are many,many more. Guess what? These "HarleyRiders" Raise an untold amount of money for these organizations along with the all thy toys for unfortunate children of this country. And all you guys (and you know who you are) are laughing at and bashing these people,while hidding behind a keyboard. Who's the real POSER'S?

Never denied that some Harley groups donate money to charity groups. That's not the issue. I know MANY Harley riders and have been friends with some (and I am open about my opinions on the subject....no keyboard in front of me when I talk with them). While it is indeed true that Harley folks can be very giving (especially when it involves getting attention), if it didn't involve riding in large groups or having a chance to be in the limelight, I'm not so sure they would be as charitable. What is also important about giving is not expecting nor seeking attention. Those that do so in a completely anonymous fashion are the folks that I admire.
Besides all that though.....I stand behind my opinion of the whole Harley thing and it's pretentious nature.

#1923167 - 06/14/10 08:00 PM Re: How the grinch stole Sturgis... [Re: andrewg]
GoldwingGuy Offline

Loc: Ohio
What is important is how we act, not what we ride. All of us have a responsibility to represent the sport in a positive image; we do not get enough respect now. I have seen wonderful and at times terrible images that have been presented by riders of all makes and models. And the posers should just go home and watch Wild Hogs, do I have an amen brother. Ride in peace, been doing this for 37 years now.

#1923199 - 06/14/10 08:47 PM Re: How the grinch stole Sturgis... [Re: andrewg]
Propflux01 Offline

Loc: Arkansastan
I'll offer some more opinions here since this is what this thread is about. No insults intended....I agree that for the most part many folks on 'metric' cruisers do indeed wish to emulate the Harley crowd....and yes, they are every bit annoying with the very dated 'rebel' thing going on. But I don't think they are a 'wanna be' rebel or fake cruiser just because they ride an metric bike. Heck, many of those large metric cruisers cost as much as any Harley....and they are just as legit as any other motorcycle. Harley doesn't 'own' any title in my book, except perhaps as a bike for folks that want attention and acceptance among other Harley admirers. There are so many Harleys out there these days that they hardly qualify as anything original or special in my book. But that's fine.....it's just not my thing nor do I feel the Harley 'image' is really a good one for motorcycling.
I am not disagreeing with you on the legitimacy of a metric cruiser. As for 'owning a title', it would seem though that most all metric cruiser manufacturer's emulated the "Harley look" all the way down to the V-twin engine. Most all metric bikes 20 years ago were inline 4's or v-4s, etc. To me, it would seem there is a direction of those manufacturer's to emulate that HD look and the stigma that goes with it. While you personally may be tired of that stigma, It seems each bike type has its own "cult following". However, I seem to hear more about HD' riders issues than I do about sport bike riders and thier vwooming on the rev-limiter or thier fat-arsed girlfriends crack hanging out the back, not to say how 'most' of them ride. As for the clothing, I wear the same 'leather bad boy" outfit whether I am on my HD or my old '83 Suzuki GS1100GK. I wear it because it fits my needs, not because I wanna be some kinda arse-kicker. And I, nor any other HD rider I have come across, sans an outlaw biker gang, is a 'barbarian'.

I have ridden all kinds of bikes with various displacements, engine configurations, as well as foreign and domestic. Some are great to ride and some aren't. I don't stick with ONLY one bike brand.....that would be boring for me. I love Triumph Bonneville's.....but I liked my VTX 1800 too. Interestingly, I do not like racing style bikes AT ALL. I do marvel at the technology they put into them, but after riding one once I decided they are not my kind of bike. Many foolish young kids ride those things like they are never going to die (but of course they do....in rather large numbers). And I have been around BMW folks. They all seem nice to me. Never had one treat me poorly (or pass me on the shoulder like many Harley riders have).
No, I like almost all types of bikes. It's just the prevailing culture and attitude of Harley riders that after twenty five some years since their rebirth, I have really become tired of the annoying loud noise, the immature 'bad-boy' outfits, and the overwhelming saturation of the marketplace (Harley everything....t-shirts, watches, boots, jackets, truck models, hats, and everything else under the sun).

For your first paragraph, I will agree with most all except the BMW riders. I have noticed they are alot nicer when I am on the Suzi, then when I am on the HD. As for the second paragraph, all I can say on that is if there is a market for the clothing, then it stand to reason the market will reflect what the consumers want. I take no offense to your comments, as they are as legitimate to you as mine are to me. I say Ride for pleasure, but ride with what you feel good in wearing, and what you feel good in riding......

A 55 Gallon Drum And A Shovel Can Solve A lot of Life's Little "Problems"

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >