Opinions on Kendall titanium synthetic?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello,

Recently Kendall has introduced a synthetic oil with titanium in it, does anyone know if it it is a true synthetic grade 4 or 5 oil or just a hydrocracked grade 3 oil. Do you think the titanium really works or is it just mostly marketing?

I'd bet it's 'hydrocracked grade (should say group) 3 oil' and I think the titanium is mostly marketing. Having said that, I'd also bet it's an EXCELLENT oil that I'd use for a 7500 miles OCI without a problem. ConocoPhillips makes great products.

I'm using it in my fleet of two Jeep Cherokees as I posted in the HDEO oil forum.I try to shop at the local independent parts store,they carry Kendall and Wix filters.It was about $3.80 a quart for 15-40 D-XA.Kendal, specs say .126 Zinc and .010 titanium for the 15-40.I have no idea about the Titanium ?

Originally Posted By: Truckedup
I'm using it in my fleet of two Jeep Cherokees as I posted in the HDEO oil forum.I try to shop at the local independent parts store,they carry Kendall and Wix filters.It was about $3.80 a quart for 15-40 D-XA.Kendal, specs say .126 Zinc and .010 titanium for the 15-40.I have no idea about the Titanium ?

.010 would be 100 ppm Ti.

Interesting, I just posted a VOA of Castrol Edge 0W-20 that contains 51 ppm of Ti. Terry Dyson believes the Edge is also Group III. I don't know if Castrol gets the titanium additive from ConocoPhillips or additive supplier Afton Chemical, but it's the first use of titanium I've seen outside COP.

Last edited:
that is the first that i have heard of castrol edge containing titanium does this mean 5w30 as well as 10w30 contain it as well and does it bond too metel like the kendall is soposed too?

Marketing for this "Liquid titanium" is kind of sketchy. They claim the titanium will chemically bond with the other alloys in the car ... I highly doubt that.

Having said that, the additive has been proven quite effective. I would probably say this is not gimmicky (I've been trying to find some journal articles) http://www.informaworld.com/smpp/content~content=a793240664&db=all

I will be trying this oil out in my Subaru Legacy, probably the full synthetic 5w-40. I might also check out more journal articles.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back