Royal Purple (regular - not XPR) 5W-20 VOA

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ever since I saw those Mustang cam pics using Royal Purple, I've been impressed with RP.

Originally Posted By: buster
Ever since I saw those Mustang cam pics using Royal Purple, I've been impressed with RP.

Yes, It looked great...but it was only two camshafts from two cars...one with RP.
Food for thought, but here are so many variables in these kinds of things. IDK.
I think it is fine oil, but the one case of the Mustangs doesn't really prove anything in my mind.

Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
Too much abrasive detergent and not enough ZDDP. Looks more like a LOW SAP light duty diesel oil add pack. I dont like the balance. IDK what this detergent fetish is around here
21.gif

I have 3/4 of a case of this lying around and I'm going to use it, probably in my girlfriend's Acura TL SH-AWD 3.7 liter V6.

Wondering if anyone has an opinion on diluting this with something with a less aggressive detergent add-pack. Valvoline Synpower 0w20 perhaps, which seems to get a lot of criticism for not having as strong a detergent add-pack? Or any other idea? I'd love to hear any ideas on what oil to mix it with and in what proportions.

Thanks!

You could just run it and pay for a UOA to see if wear is fine, then no worries, since it's just laying around and it's $25 for a simple UOA depending on where you get it performed. I don't see any reason to blend your stash of 5w-20 Royal Purple with anything.

EDIT: You have SL or the 're-formulated' SN?

Last edited:
SL with Synerlec. and I have 11 1/2 quarts left.

ARCOGraphite thinks the elevated wear metals in my recent UOA were caused in whole or in part by the overly aggressive detergent package. But really, I've decided to switch to Toyota 0w20 in the Civic, which sees very mild driving.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back