Why is everyone so down on Fram oil filters here

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am sort of new here, but notice a lot of people take digs at Fram oil filters. Are they that terrible? If I cannot get a Delco or Motorcraft filter I usually grab a Fram. Secondly, I change my oil every 2,000 to 3,000 miles. Sometimes a little before 2,000, but never over 3,000. Most mechanics I know tell me any filter will do in the short of an interval.

It's not that we hate Fram or want to publicly disparage Fram products. For most of us I think the main issue is the simple fact that you can buy much better oil filters for the same and often less of a price than you can buy a Fram.

Plus there have been a lot of quality and construction problems and some engine problems with Fram reported over the years. Fram air filters are fine but I do not and will not use their oil filters.

The construction quality, or lack of it, and the price "hurts" it's standing here. For the low OCI's you do I'm sure it'll do ok. I myself had constant dry starts on my Ford's do to the poorly designed adbv. There are better "cheap" oil filters out there. I can buy a FAR better quality Motorcraft filter at Wally World for less than the Orange Can Of Death from Fram. If you purchase their most expensive filter it's still priced higher than a Pure 1 from Purolater, from what I've seen. And the Purolater is highly respected around here
grin2.gif

They wouldn't kill your vehicle but there is much better out there for the price.

Whimsey

Last edited:
well, 2 main points I see:

(1)Fram orange can tends to be a bit overpriced for the job when compared to other manufacturer products such as Purolator, Championlabs, etc.

(2)too many self-righteous armchair scientists dissected the orange can and then cry foul over the construction (or quality of it), based on their "knowledge".

In all fairness: Fram orange still gets the job done admirably even though they look terrible inside.

Q.

The armchair guy I am always valued a Motorcraft more then a Fram but the difference between a Delco and Fram is the not much to me at least. What is the purpose of the sky high OCIs on here if everyone is scoring the oil and filters on the cheap?

Originally Posted By: Jimmy9190
It's not that we hate Fram or want to publicly disparage Fram products. For most of us I think the main issue is the simple fact that you can buy much better oil filters for the same and often less of a price than you can buy a Fram.

Plus there have been a lot of quality and construction problems and some engine problems with Fram reported over the years. Fram air filters are fine but I do not and will not use their oil filters.

Because they are ignorant that cardboard endcaps can be as good as metal end caps. They also refuse to believe that Fram's design has not shown an abnormally high number of failures in the field compared to other brands.

Fram's quality control is also better than Purolator or Wix. I have had a number of issues with Purolator and Wix products but I have NEVER had a quality control or fitment issue with a Fram product.

Its the quality vs price, I cant get frams here for under 4 bucks. I use them often in my jeep as I cant find any cheap filters at a good price for it. I cut open a few where they basically imploded upon itself and the media crunched inwards. I havent had one since two years ago. Other than that I cant stand paying 4.50 for mediocre quality.

Last edited:
Fram's low end effort, the ExtraGuard, is a $2 filter in a $5 box.

For another 50 cents (or less), I can get something decent like a Pure One, Wix, or similar.

Originally Posted By: thehkp7m13
The armchair guy I am always valued a Motorcraft more then a Fram but the difference between a Delco and Fram is the not much to me at least. What is the purpose of the sky high OCIs on here if everyone is scoring the oil and filters on the cheap?

This 1 of several conventional oil UOA that shows 10k OCI and the oil still good and the metal is low.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1906565#Post1906565

Originally Posted By: The Critic
Originally Posted By: Jimmy9190

Because they are ignorant that cardboard endcaps can be as good as metal end caps. They also refuse to believe that Fram's design has not shown an abnormally high number of failures in the field compared to other brands.

Fram's quality control is also better than Purolator or Wix. I have had a number of issues with Purolator and Wix products but I have NEVER had a quality control or fitment issue with a Fram product.

The number of cut open filters on here, and we still see this. Doesn't matter how many cut open that are in good, or great condition, because this is almost always another one that shows warped endcaps, holes in the media, or an ADBV that doesn't seal. Would you rather your car was built out of metal, or cardboard?

Any, OP, the main reason alot of us dislike FRAM filters is because for the same price, or a tiny bit more, you can have a much better built filter with METAL endcaps, a silicon ADBV that actually works.

Yep ..mainly price. The standard orange can should be priced below any second tier offering from any other filter manufacturer. The cost is so high due to racing sponsorships and actually renting retail shelf space to crowd out the competition in many cases. The money you pay is mostly hollow in value.

Other than that, they do what they're supposed to.

Now, even though I find them a bit too high priced, the Extended Guard is a DARN GOOD filter. It may even be preferred to a PureOne or M1 where absolute filtration may not truly be your friend in a true extended drain situation.

For an example, would the Toy/Lex (and now)Honda issues with the EaO exist if the media wasn't quite as fine? The Extended Guard is no champion of fine filtration, but is absolutely durable enough for a long run.

It is an inferior filter priced as a premium filter. Yesterday I changed the oil on a friend's Civic. I got two filters at Carquest for $ 3 each. (I still have to change the oil on their Ranger.) Carquest brand filters are made by Wix, which has never shown quality control problems that I have seen, but anyone can have a bad one slip through.

I have cut them open before. Maybe I am not qualified, but cardboard just doesn't look good to me. I also believe the number of pleats means something.

I will never waste money on a Fram oil filter. Will you just because they sponsor race cars and have the biggest display?

Based on my limited experience of touching oil filters,(only 24yrs),I would take a empty Mountain Dew can or Dr.Thunder will work in a pinch,cut the top off,pack it full of Charmin or you favorite wipe and strap it on my engine with duck tape before I would use a standard Fram. They are and have been trash for years. If they cost more than $1 you are getting the wenie. When I started my career with FoMoCo many moons ago 302s were dropping like flies from the orange can of death(Fram ate many of them)so many in fact that a 302 came in with an engine noise and the orange can was on it we were told not to touch it until the fellas up the ladder were contacted(DSR). Moved on to Toyota and countless 22R engine would come in rattleing . Remove the can and the rattle would go away instantly. Search here and you will find countless pictures of quality issues with them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back