Toyota 04152-YZZA1 vs. PureOne PL25608

Status
Not open for further replies.
Both of these filters fit the Toyota 2AR-FE (and probably some other engines as well). The PureOne looks very well-constructed, almost overly done. Filter area suffers significantly. The filter media itself appears to be much better in the PureOne. The PureOne also appears to have a silicone large o-ring vs. the Toyota's rubber. The Toyota's filter media appears to be a conventional paper media. Recommended OCIs for this application is 1 year / 10,000 miles with 0W-20 oil.

The PureOne has 45 pleats to the Toyota's 44. The P1's media size is about 0.5" "thick" (from the center diameter to the outer diameter, and not measuring the plastic end cap, but the media itself). It's 2.4" "wide", from end to end. By the same scale, the Toyota's media is 0.8" thick and 2.6" wide.

The P1's total filtering area is 45 pleats x 1.0" thick x 2.4" wide = 108 sq in.
The A1's total filtering area is 44 pleats x 1.6" thick x 2.6" wide = 183 sq in.

The cost is also a significant difference. The P1 is $12.99 at Advance and the A1 is $5.61 from my local dealer. And that's retail price. Even the Fram at Walmart is $6.99. Toyota filter comes through big-time on this one I think.

yzza1_pl25608_filters.jpg

I bought an oversized P1 (as compared to the YDDZ3 Toyota) on Amazon, 2 for $11.50 (PL20195). Toyota (or Denso in this case), to my recollection, at one time used a cheap cardboard endcap, ala Fram...P1 does not. The YDDZ3 no longer does.

Was there an endcap on the A1?

If you are concerned about filter area, then buy an oversized, otherwise, price is similar based on my experience.

@5sfe91: I could inspect the filter throughout the interval. I could drain off what's in the cartridge housing and take the element out, yes. That might not be a bad idea, at 5k mile intervals (on a 10k mile OCI). I can inspect the filter cartridge and add a half-quart or so of fresh oil to the sump to replace what I drained off. That'd do nice to boost the additives/detergents/TBN in the oil. The only thing I wouldn't be able to do is replace the o-rings with new.

@splacek: I don't think you can put an "oversize" filter into the engine, can you? The only concern I have with filter area is in monetary value. Based on the P1's substantially smaller media area, I don't see the value in paying more than twice the price for it. The Toyota filter did not have an endcap. The element is glued at the end.

Originally Posted By: LT4 Vette
I would just go to the dealer and stock up on the Toyota filter.

+1 Denso filters are a good value.

Yep, that's what I'll be doing. I'll keep the P1 and just run it once I guess. The standard Purolator is $8.69, and it's got the exact same construction (I didn't think it did, but I must have remembered it wrong). I checked the Fram PH9972 at Walmart this evening and it's just like the Denso filter, except that the media didn't look quite as good. It looked like a lower quality media, but I have absolutely zero evidence to back that up. I didn't count pleats, but with a price of about $7, I didn't really care to (I'll stick with the Denso).

Now, if SuperTech comes out with an ST9972 for this application, I may have to check that out. I'd still be weary of running the cheapest oil filter media for 10k miles though.

Denso filters are a good value...I was just indicating that the P1's are not as expensive as indicated in the OP.

RE: oversized filter - on my '00 landcruiser, if I don't use OEM/OES - the filter recommended aftermarket is one of those puny filters used on 4 cylinders. I match the gasket, and voila! I have a larger/deeper filter w/ more surface area.

OP talks about cartridge filters and you're talking about spin on filters. You can not put over-size cartridge filter in the filter housing.

Originally Posted By: splacek
Denso filters are a good value...I was just indicating that the P1's are not as expensive as indicated in the OP.

Yes, I probably could find a better deal on the P1s if I wanted to run them. I'm still surprised at the reduced media area.

This thread confirms my decision to stick with the Toyota filter for my B-I-L's '09 Corolla. I believe in using OEM filters during the warranty (no basis in fact, I know) but now I see that continuing afterward is indeed a good idea.

I don't see the advantage of a silicone o-ring for the filter housing cap. It's not an ADBV that gets immersed in hot oil or has to remain flexible in cold weather.

Originally Posted By: RF Overlord
I don't see the advantage of a silicone o-ring for the filter housing cap. It's not an ADBV that gets immersed in hot oil or has to remain flexible in cold weather.

Great point, and I agree 100%.

use the OEM filter. i have personally seen with my own eyes the top of one of those aftermarket filters (looks exactly like that) separate and get stuck in the bottom of the oil filter cup. not to mention every filter that "looks" like that comes out all distorted and warped.

the OEM ones always come out perfectly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back