Pennzoil Platinum 5w30 6250kms, 1996 Tacoma V6

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well this was my first analysis, and wow I must say I'm very impressed with the turnaround time with Blackstone!!

My truck is a higher milage truck with 376000 kms on it. This oil run lasted 2 months and was a little more unusual than most as 2000kms of this was put on driving from Vancouver to Calgary, Edmonton and then back home (all in 4 days!!! w00000t family marriages lol). So the first part of this interval was relatively easy. Knowing this, I decided to run 1000kms more than I usually do and then get it sampled. I would guess that my driving is typically 70% city and 30% highway. I maintain this truck very well with more than regular tune ups and fluid changes etc. This truck has been in the family since new and has always been maintained this way!

Okay, now that all that is out of the way, lets get onto what the analysis was!

Mileage on Engine: 376,250kms
Miles on Oil: 6,250kms
Sample Date: 05/21/10
Makeup Oil: 0
Aluminum: 2
Chromium : 0
Iron: 4
Copper: 2
Lead: 10 - this was in Bold, should I be worried?
Tin: 3
Moly: 58
Nickel: 0
Manganese: 1
Silver:
Titanium: 0
Potassium: 0
Boron: 41
Silicon: 15
Sodium: 30 - this was also bold, see comments below
Calcium: 3071 - why is this so high?? avgs are 2233
Magnesium: 12
Phosphorus: 696
Zinc: 880
Barium: 0

SUS Viscosity @ 210°F: 59.4
cSt Viscosity @ 100°C: 10.05
Flashpoint in F: 420
Coolant: ? - always worrisome when there is a known head gasket issues with these trucks/engines!!
Fuel: Water: 0
Insolubles: 0.3
TBN: 5.4

Their comments were:
For an engine with 376,250 miles on it wear certainly looks good. Lead was a little high but that's more likely due to a particle streak running through the bearings rather than from a developing problem, as all other wear read normally. We found a little sodium in the sample, which is likely from an
additive in an oil run in the past. With no potassium in the oil we doubt sodium is from antifreeze. Universal averages are based an oil run of 9,000 km. Try that next time. The TBN read 5.4 so you had more than enough active additive left. 1.0 is low.

Thankfully I'm not losing any Antifreeze, so I'm glad to hear of their doubts!!!

Anyway, if anyone can chime in here and comment, I'd love to hear from you!!

All in all, a very nice report. You seem to be doing everything right, so just carry on :)

Your higher than average calcium may be due to batch differences as well as the long highway run you had, which typically doesn't deplete additives as fast as city driving. I think you could have gone to 8km no problems. Another example of PP doing well.

I'm gonna try 8,000kms and see what they say about it then! Thanks for the feedback.

Oh and I might be able to source Pennzoil Ultra at work soon, and will try a run on it in 6 months or so.

Before going to PU, why not try to develop some consistent ranges and trends? It's not like you're over-stressing the PP; so why the desire for PU? At this mileage, even PYB would do very well and could go further.

All looks decent on the report. I believe the Blackstone comments are likely spot on for the Pb and such.

Being a 96 model this is the 3.0 engine? They transitioned to the 3.4 around 97 I think. I would not worry about the lead. Keep a good eye on coolant. Toyota will pretty much cover them regardless of mileage.

Originally Posted By: Mokanic
Being a 96 model this is the 3.0 engine? They transitioned to the 3.4 around 97 I think. I would not worry about the lead. Keep a good eye on coolant. Toyota will pretty much cover them regardless of mileage.

what are you talking about toyota will cover them regardless of mileage?

Originally Posted By: mikeg5

Iam talking about the fact that the 3.0L was/is notorious for popping head gaskets. Toyota long since gave dealers pretty much a free hand to replace any gaskets and even short blocks if needed regardless of mileage. The dealer can make the call. I have done them under warranty on engines with 190,000 miles on them,and Yoda paid for it all. I have even done them in my independant shop and the customer took the receipt to Toyota and they re-imbursed them for ALL COSTS. Try that with a coolant leaking government motors product.

Originally Posted By: mikeg5

Iam talking about the fact that the 3.0L was/is notorious for popping head gaskets. Toyota long since gave dealers pretty much a free hand to replace any gaskets and even short blocks if needed regardless of mileage. The dealer can make the call. I have done them under warranty on engines with 190,000 miles on them,and Yoda paid for it all. I have even done them in my independant shop and the customer took the receipt to Toyota and they re-imbursed them for ALL COSTS. Try that with a coolant leaking government motors product.

interesting.. glad i have the 3.4 thought lol

All Tacoma V6 were the 5VZ-FE 3.4L ... still known for head gasket issues, just not NEARLY as bad as the 3.0L V6

And to add... I opted for the PP due to the fact that these engines are notorious for sludging issues, and I wanted the detergency of the PP, which is also my thought for a transition to the PU.

Oh and as for the 3.0L gaskets, Toyota will not allow them to be done the second time around... FYI, I had one with 400,000kms on it... dealer maintained up until I got it... and they would not allow it to be replaced under any kind of "campaign".

Originally Posted By: Saeros
All Tacoma V6 were the 5VZ-FE 3.4L ... still known for head gasket issues, just not NEARLY as bad as the 3.0L V6

i know of the notorious 3.0 (3.slow) but the 3.4's unless overheated rarely had the head gasket issue according to tons of my reading. 3.4's rarely sludge as well (unless overheated).

Hmm, odd... I've read up on tons of trucks that are maintained well that still get the sludge issue... Also, under my oil cap, you can see a little into the valve cover, and it's not too clean... at least not as clean as my 3.0L was.

At the very least, next time I put plugs in it (mid-June) I'll pop the valve cover off to see how it looks in there.

Toyota 'truck' engines aren't known for sludge, just the car 3.0 V-6 and to a lesser extent, the 2.2 I-4.

The only head gasket issue the 3.4 ever had was the early 3.4 would seep coolant down the side of the block. They did not blow into the combustion chamber as the 3.0 would. Toyota corrected it in short order. The 3.4 has not ever been a sludge prone engine. that is [censored]. I've owned two and wrenched them for years. They will develop sludge from lack of maintenance just as any other will.

The only head gasket issue the 3.4 ever had was the early 3.4 would seep coolant down the side of the block. They did not blow into the combustion chamber as the 3.0 would. Toyota corrected it in short order. The 3.4 has not ever been a sludge prone engine. that is [censored]. I've owned two and wrenched them for years. They will develop sludge from lack of maintenance just as any other will.

yeppers... 150k miles on my taco and no sludge. who ever said they had sludge under their cap made me LOL.. that area period gathers moisture and funk. LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back