Transmission flush question

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys, I have had a few shops tell me that when they do the flush they will "drop the pan" and change out the filter etc and will get rid of most of the oil fluid. They said that will not drain it via the cooler lines.

Will this method get rid of all the old fluid that is in the car?

Would you recommend this method of fluid change?

Thanks

No it will not get all the fluid. This type of service is better than nothing but I'd rather get it all out.

With that said, I do the drain and refill till I get to 60k then do the pan drop (or on some vehicles take off the spin on filter) then take the rest of the fluid out via lines.

Take care, bill

Dropping the pan and changing the filter gets between 1/3 and 1/2 of the fluid in the transmission. The best way to get it all is to do the pan drop followed by a cooler line flush.

Yep, dropping the pan won't get that much out. Even if you can drain the TC, there will still be a fair amount of fluid in the trans. Cooler line flushes will get more fluid out than any other method, but it's a good idea to drop the pan to clean it out and change the filter every so often. The NAPA shop I use for trans flushes suggested dropping the pan and changing the filter on my truck at around 90K miles.

I just did my Outback. Total amount in the system is a little over 9 quarts.

2qts 28oz came out with the drain plug.

Bill

Originally Posted By: gs300tx
Hey guys, I have had a few shops tell me that when they do the flush they will "drop the pan" and change out the filter etc and will get rid of most of the oil fluid. They said that will not drain it via the cooler lines.

Will this method get rid of all the old fluid that is in the car?

Would you recommend this method of fluid change?

Thanks

The shops you are talking to are doing a transmission "service" not a flush. A "service" could mean many things to many people.

It sounds like none of those shops have a flush machine. Find one who does.

I've only ever dropped the pan and changed the filters. Never had transmission problems and I've had many over 200k. I own a dakota and pt cruiser right now. When I did the pan drop I got 6 out of 9 quarts from the pt cruiser and 8 of 12 from the dakota. Flushing won't hurt anything but it's not needed unless the transmission has been neglected.

Transmissions are one of the most neglected parts on vehicles. It really is cheap and not much harder than an oil change to do.

I agree with the others. Change the filter and most of the fluid and then do a cooler line exchange for the rest.

Find a shop that uses the full fluid exchange machine. I have had good luck with BG.

www.bgfindashop.com

Or buy your own fluid and take it to a shop and pay them the labor to exchange the fluid. You wouldn't change half your engine oil, so why change half your tranny fluid?

I hear that trany "flushes" on tranys with high mileage and the fluid has never been changed is a bad idea as it can dislodge debris.

Dropping the pan and changeng the fluid/filter only is a better, more gentle, approach some say. I do the drsin/filter and fill on my old BMW.

Last edited:
Quote:
Transmissions are one of the most neglected parts on vehicles. It really is cheap and not much harder than an oil change to do.

Agree, especially if you have the drain plug. But people still think that transmission service is something special and dealers and quick lubes charge much more for transmission services even if it is as simple as a drain and fill. Maybe that's why people choose not to change the fluids
21.gif

I know that Mazda dealers around me charge about $120 for a transmission drain and fill, it's crazy since it's simpler than an oil change, which they charge about $35 for, but when you call it "transmission service" or a "flush" then you get to charge more I guess.

Thanks guys,

I called up a shop through "Bg find a shop". They said that they will do it via the trans cooler line method and will charge $89 and that I will need to bring in about 15qts of fluid.

For some reason he kept pushing the "BG CLEANING CHEMICAL" Has anyone has any experience with this?

i believe that is the chemical you want to avoid. you don't want any varnish to dislodge.
sounds like a good deal. mike

No experience, but I know that nothing should be used for the fluid exchange except for the proper transmission fluid. DO NOT use any flushing agents.

You might want to add some Auto-Rx and follow their transmission which say to run maybe 1000 miles then flush it out. What you want to avoid is a flush that does it quick.

The BG places also want to sell you a BG conditioner. If you feel your ATF is not good enough and needs a conditioner, then buy better ATF, like Amsoil ATF. Forget the conditioner.

Amsoil is what I got in the tranny right now.(40k on the fluid)

I am actually trying to learn on how to do the flush my self(via the tranny cooler lines)

Originally Posted By: gs300tx
Thanks guys,

I called up a shop through "Bg find a shop". They said that they will do it via the trans cooler line method and will charge $89 and that I will need to bring in about 15qts of fluid.

For some reason he kept pushing the "BG CLEANING CHEMICAL" Has anyone has any experience with this?

The cleaner they use is harmless. It will circulate with the old fluid and clean the valve body and other parts. Worth a few extra bucks IMHO. But you can also be fine without it. Just get some good Amsoil or Mobil 1 syn fluid and you will be good for at least 80k.

When I drop the pan on my Buicks 4T65E I can get nearly 80% of the fluid out. I change the filter and clean the magnets and add new fluid. If I do this at a reasonable mileage I think it is sufficient.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back