Some car makers say NO antiseize on spark plugs?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know that Volkswagen specifically stated that you should not use antiseize when installing spark plugs....other than the slight possiblity you might have some drip onto the electrode if you used too much would there be any other reason?

I have always used a small amount of 10w/30 oil on the threads...would you say this is a good idea? If not why..

I've always been puzzled by this take by VW and some others.

Informed opinions wanted! TIA!

I've also heard that Porsche used to say not to use anti-seize because it may interfere with electrical conductivity. Not sure if that's still the case (assuming it was ever true)...

Well it interferes with torque too.. causing excessive torque and stripping the threads.. and if u get any on the electrode it prolly could cause misfireing. Most sparkplugs suppose be coated with a coating to prevent them from corroding anyhow.

So folks what do you think of using a bit of 10/30 oil on the threads? You think it is ok? Do you think that might inhibit electrical conductivity?

NGK says their plugs are already coated.

I have never used anything on spark plug threads. I always install them dry.

I know the Bosch OEM Silber and other Bosch plugs that are for my application come with dry threads in all cases.

I'm pretty wary of not using something on aluminium head threads...I know the first time I change them they were quite "tight" when removing them all the way out.

Originally Posted By: The Critic
I have never used anything on spark plug threads. I always install them dry.

Same here.

The manufacturer doesn't need to pay to have them pulled at 100K miles either. Those who have had to pay quickly learn to use anti seize.

Just for fun try to stop the spark by coating with anti seize. Hasn't worked for me.

Lack of anti seize strips a lot more threads than excessive torque does. Both are preventable.

Seems like oil would turn to carbon under the heat.

Originally Posted By: severach

Seems like oil would turn to carbon under the heat.

All good observations severach!

True about the oil all I noticed is that it gets a bit thick and gummy...

So what is the best anti seize for the plug threads....something that can withstand heat so it won't run I would bet...any recommendations ?

Whoa, BOSCH Silber! Haven't heard of them in a long time.

I just did the plugs in the Astra w/6000 miles. Used copper anti-seize, supposed to enhance electrical contact and copper is specific to dissimilar metal contact, ie: aluminum heads.

I always used anti seize in my 930 and later 911 without any issues,just reduce the torque by 23-30%

I use it on every plug,anyone who ever had to change plugs on a problem motor knows why.Whatever coating maybe on the plug is useless the things rot into the head.70k with anti seize and they come right out.

In the aluminium heads i use a ceramic based compound and on iron a copper based.

To each their own but honestly in 35+ years doing this everyday i have yet had any problems.The trick to using it is just use a small amount and apply it carefully,reduce the torque when tightening.

How tighten are you supposed to tighten spark plugs anyway?

After screwing it in with just a socket and an extension, I usually go 1/2 turn more.

This has never given me a problem until this last weekend. I had used the 1/2 turn tightening procedure on the NGK plugs I installed 20k ago. When I went to remove the plugs, on one cylinder, the plug was barely tight! All of the others were fine.

I don't care who makes the engine. If it has aluminum heads, you'd be crazy to put in plugs with no antiseize.

Originally Posted By: Vizzy
So folks what do you think of using a bit of 10/30 oil on the threads? You think it is ok? Do you think that might inhibit electrical conductivity?

If you've seen how burnt oil looks like in combustion, you'd not want it near the plug threads.

There are three grades of anti-seize IIRC. The general purpose stuff has aluminum in it. The hight heat stuff is the copper base one. They also have a nickel grade stuff but that is for extreme heat/pressure and costs an arm and a leg.
Sounds like the copper is the prefered one for spark plugs.

Originally Posted By: onion
I don't care who makes the engine. If it has aluminum heads, you'd be crazy to put in plugs with no antiseize.

lots of cv guys don't use antisieze due to the fact that ford decided to give us like 3 or 4 threads for the spark plug to thread into and if you over torque, you're screwed...

I only use copper anti-seize. I do not torque them, I can do a better job by feel. The copper anti-seize is just copper flakes in an oil carrier so the oil burns off after a few thousand miles and you are left with soft copper between the threads of the plug and the cylinder head. It aids in electrical conductivity and thermal conductivity. When it comes time to remove them the relatively soft copper shears and lets the plug come loose easily.

I actually called and asked the dealer about this when I did the plugs on my truck...they said not to use antiseize with my application. My truck has cast iron heads FWIW.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back