Amsoil's 25,000 mile OCI

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all, I just got a newsletter from Amsoil and read something in their that really bothers me. Pg. 18 says that some 2001-2010 Honda and 2002-2010 Acura owners have reported their oil pressure lights have come on at the end of their 25K OCI. Amsoil said it was due to filter were plugging up.

I have always been concerned about amsoil and their long OCI, I am sure for people that have a lot of understanding and everything it maybe works but I have never thought the average person should be doing this and just leaving it in there for the full time without checking it. They even went to say that these owners along with several others that I will post should change the filter at the OEM recommended interval.

1992-2006 Chrysler Imports
1993-1997 Ford Probe
1996-2010 Nissan/Infiniti
1971-2000 Mazda
1999-2000 Mecury Villager
1990-2010 Mitsubishi
2004-2007 Saturn

After testing that I've seen, that brand of oil runs out of TBN long before 25,000 miles or one year. I believe it's a quality oil but then again it should be for the price.I just don't believe it's all it's cracked up to be. If you were even going to attempt to go that many miles you should change the filter a few times and add oil as needed.

I don't know why anyone would want to do a 25k OCI. Is it really that difficult to do an oil change at 10k? I'm not a fan of the 3k oil change but jeez, I'd never be able to go 25k. There are just too many variables and I don't understand how Amsoil can make claims that 25k is safe no matter how good their oil is. And I should add, I believe Amsoil is top-notch stuff too.

Originally Posted By: dsmith41
I don't know why anyone would want to do a 25k OCI. Is it really that difficult to do an oil change at 10k? I'm not a fan of the 3k oil change but jeez, I'd never be able to go 25k. There are just too many variables and I don't understand how Amsoil can make claims that 25k is safe no matter how good their oil is. And I should add, I believe Amsoil is top-notch stuff too.

I like Amsoil and do use some of it, but there claims for that is crazy IMO, very few engines on the road could do 25,000 miles like that most will not come close,engines wear out oil at different rates what works in one will not work in others,so UOA's are a must with that kind of interval.

No one here drives mostly Interstate? (salespeople, couriers, or return home on weekends from a distant job). Or no one with a 20 to 80 mile commute on the highway?

Once you get away from big cities, stop-and-go is gone.

Those are the ones who are most likely to do a 25K mile OCI.

Amsoil is one of the top four oils around, but I don't believe 25K OCIs are prudent for the average driver.

Originally Posted By: daman
Originally Posted By: dsmith41

I like Amsoil and do use some of it, but there claims for that is crazy IMO, very few engines on the road could do 25,000 miles like that most will not come close,engines wear out oil at different rates what works in one will not work in others,so UOA's are a must with that kind of interval.

+1

I wouldn't run it for 25,000 miles, no way. Maybe if I lived in some remote corner of the US where extreme hot/cold didn't exist, and even then I'd have my doubts. Even if the engine was started and driven 100 miles one way to work and 100 miles back, at 55mph with no traffic, I'd still have my doubts. The statement is too broad IMO, sorry. No way can it cover every engine for 25K, even under perfect conditions.

Sure it was tested, but I wouldn't do it. I'd try 15,000 miles or a year, and only backed up by a UOA, under good conditions. Severe service I would cut back and get a report sooner. Then maybe stretch it based on the report. To just buy it and drive a year or 25K would be foolish without data from the application it is being used in.

For me living on Long Island, NY my best bet would be the oil would never make 25,000 miles because conditions would never allow it. JMO

Originally Posted By: BobFout
No one here drives mostly Interstate? (salespeople, couriers, or return home on weekends from a distant job). Or no one with a 20 to 80 mile commute on the highway?

Once you get away from big cities, stop-and-go is gone.

Those are the ones who are most likely to do a 25K mile OCI.

I agree them conditions would probably get you close but joe blow with his '87 carbed whipped out p/u that lives in the city delivering papers dumps it in and go thinking he's all set,not going to happen.

15,000 miles/1 yr has always been a more reasonable claim. It's probably why Mobil/Castrol chose that figure. 25,000 is doable only under the most ideal circumstances, and even then it may not be a good thing.

Doesnt the 25K oil change only apply to cars with less than 100,000 miles on it? I thought I read in the warranty for amsoil that after that many miles the OCI had to be cut down.

Originally Posted By: buster
15,000 miles/1 yr has always been a more reasonable claim. It's probably why Mobil/Castrol chose that figure. 25,000 is doable only under the most ideal circumstances, and even then it may not be a good thing.

A nice condensed easy to read similar reply to mine. :) Glad we agree.

Does Amsoil suggest anywhere on their site that a UOA is recommended before stretching their product to those limits? Does any company selling extended drain oils make that kind of recommendation? I never saw it but then again I don't spend much time on oil company websites reading fine print.

Most compaines do suggest following the mfg OCI, which IMO is a smart thing to do. Extending OCI then becomes the sole responsibility of the vehicle owner!

I have run several cars 22k to 25k on Amsoil.Ran them over 200k with no issues.Sold them running good.Amsoil states 25k is under ideal conditions.They do state every 15k with severe conditions.Mine was almost all interstate with a 100 mile daily commute.I was replacing filters every 7500 then.

Last edited:
I have seen an Explorer engine with high miles and run only Amsoil with 20K OCI and 10K filter change. That engine looked like new inside.

I would never have believed it if ithe pictures were from Amsoil advertising, but that stuff does work for long OCI's

This come from the long extensive R&D work from all the guinea pigs that run their products.

They do state 1 year/15,000 miles under severe conditions (their qualifiers on the bottle for severe conditions cover most drivers) so even they seem to believe most should be doing 15,000 mile intervals.

UOAs I have seen on this site leads me to believe that going 15K on M1 EP or Castrol Edge, is not a prudent thing to do. Likewise, taking Amsoil products to their advertised limits in normally driven passenger cars and light trucks appears not to be a wise move either. Again, based on the UOAs on this site.

However, if I drove many miles a day, primarily non-stop, and at highway speeds then I believe I would trust Amsoil for 15K to 18K miles long before I would have confidence in M1 EP or Edge going 12K to 14K. Once more I will say this is based on UOAs on this site.

I believe Amsoil assumes, maybe even depends, on users not taking their oil to the max miles they advertise.

I think the majority of the people on this site will say (right, wrong, or indifferent) that Redline is more robust than Amsoil. However, Redline makes no mileage or time claims to the extent of Amsoil but that appears to be OK with BITOG’ers. Both companies are in business to sell oil so maybe Redline can easily go very extended OCI and they simply do not say that so users will change according to manufactures recommendations. Amsoils say they can go way beyond typical OCIs but maybe they hope their customer’s do not do that.

A good oil will keep wear metals low and won't shear. If you have low fuel, low soot, low oxidation, little/no water (keeps the oil in-grade) and top-off as need (this keeps TBN and additives replenished).... that spells extended OCI (when paired with a good oil filter)

I did a couple of 15-20k mi OCIs and I did one FULL 25k mile OCI (all were one year). Did those with Amsoil 10w40 in the 1994 to 1996 time frame. ('88 Mazda 323, sump 3.8 qts, ~75% hiway). Sold the car last year with 220k miles - engine varnished, smoke at startup (nicely fixed with HM oils), no leaks, running great.

(followed the above with M1 15w50, several 1 yr, 10-15k OCIs. Then to HM oils around 1999)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back