Meijer Pro-Cell Batteries

Status
Not open for further replies.
I need to get a new battery for my mother-in-law's 2002 Honda Civic EX. I was at my local Meijer last evening and they had their store-brand Pro-Cell battery for only $66. Does anyone know anything about these batteries, such as who they're manufactured by? I found one other thread where someone thought they might be Deka or JCI.

Usually it tells you who is the distributor on the top of the battery. If it is distributed by Deka or JCI then it's good battery. What is the warranty ? 3 years free replacement and 8 years pro-rate ?

Meijer Pro-cell batteries used to be exide. Probably still are. I have one in my aerio I did not buy. One year old and still working. I would not buy one. I have seen a few fail within 2 years.
I would get a costco Johnson controls kirkland with a 3 year no questions asked warranty and a price adjustment if the price goes down.
Next choice in Michigan would be to call Earl's battery service and see what he has in stock. Good blems and stock switch overs for cheap . Sometimes he gets optima's ,, deca's or east penns.Just ask. 30606 South Gratiot Avenue Roseville, MI 48066-1764 - (586) 294-1730
Third would be a wal-mart ever-start by jci. It used to be exide ,but they lost the contract.
Fourth would be duralast gold.another jci battery. expensive ,but 3 year warranty.
Interstate , deca , and napa(jci) are all pretty good.
Stay away from sams club (champion - exide ), and most private label brands. Lower quality hidden in the lower price.

Thanks for the input Chad! The JCI Kirkland Signature at Costco is my first choice, but when I checked last night, the Costco near me (Livonia II on Haggerty) didn't seem to have the display that they used to have in the store. Maybe they moved them to the tire center? I had two of those in the past in other cars and they never had problems and the price couldn't be beat at under $50.

Maybe I'll give Earl's a call and see what they have. That's a bit of a hike for me though and maybe not worth the time and gas money.

I live near the commerce store and the batteries are in the tire center. Call the store and ask for Dennis the tire manager. He knows his stuff and can have a battery transferred to your store in a day.
Call earl's just for the experience ....See what they have.

The Meijer's batteries are fine. Heck, I'd buy one.

They used to be made by Exide, but now are made by East penn/Deka. (they won the current contract)

Just helped a co worker install a Meijer's in their car. It's been nothing but good so far...ans he drives quite a bit from school and back....

Advance Auto Parts sells ones made by Johnson Controls for a reasonable price. That's what I always recommend my friends/family to get and they've all worked great.

The Meijer I frequent doesn't have a catalog to tell me which type of Meijer battery a particular car would take, so I avoid them.

I took another look at the Meijer Pro-Cell this evening. There's no indication on the labels who the manufacturer is. It has a 24/72 month warranty. For the same price (i.e. $66) after a $20 coupon, I can get an Exide at a local tires, etc. chain so I'd probably opt for that over the Pro-Cell. Though, still at the top of my list is the JCI at Costco which is only $58 if/when they get the size I need in.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back