Chevy Blazer 4.3 Runs Good Guy Never Changed Oil !

Status
Not open for further replies.
I saw a 2003 Chevrolet blazer 4.3 v6 today that has 144,000 miles on it come in for an oil leak (loose dip stick tube)
this engine ran great!
When we fixed the tube we checked the oil and it was tar i mean black as tar when i asked the customer when he changed his oil he said never he just adds!
I said im sure it must have been changed and he says absolutly not and he does not want it changed because it is the oil companies that made the 3000 mile myth to make more money.
He bought this Blazer at 28,000 miles and never ever changed the oil.. He also said he does this in all his cars and never had an oil related problem he just adds when it needs it and he checks it all the time..Remember this engine runs very well.. I am a firm believer in oil changes between 5,000 and 6,000 miles at the most... Who knows?

Depends on how much top-off the engine needs.

If this engine is going through a quart every 1-2k, it's getting a 'running oil change'. Lots of people do this, and engine survive crazy miles.....

I bought an '83 Tercel with 130K for a couple hundred of dollars. This was my first used car and I just added oil when it needed it. It lasted me 2 years and about 50K miles before the engine died.

he isnt buying what The Man is selling, namely regular oil changes..this has to be one of top "i dont change my oil, just add" stories ever...i have 6500 miles on pennzoil platinum and really why bother changing again after reading this?... i am sure this guy adds the cheapest oil he can find too..."dont change the crud, you will damage engine"...btw, my focus runs great on PP and M1 filter, 37 mpg

I hear you.

My brother never changed the oil in his 92' F150 w/ a 302. He owned it from 200-252K and he just added a quart when it started knocking! Still ran great though when he sold it. No filter changes either.

This guy wont even think of changing his oil and im sure he wont want to spend the extra money on amsoil... Actually to my suprise this 4.3 Chevy runs excellent

This is a throw away vehicle. Meaning: when he is done with it, no one will buy it or want it when they hear he has never changed the oil.

There is no way the engine performed as good as it would have with proper maintenance, I will never believe it.

I suppose he doesn't change the air filter either, or did he take it off entirely?

I knew a guy that didn't believe in air filters and he took them off when the engine started choking and never replaced the filter.

After about 75K the 4.3 chevy would use a quart about every 500 miles.

I have seen ______ people who buy a new car and absolutely will not do anything to it and they treat it like a rental car. It used to make me angry, but anymore I just don't care. It is their money and their problem if something goes wrong. People like that keep repair shops in business.

It just makes me sick when it is a car I would love to have and they treat it like a beater.

Deserve has nothing to do with anything, but some people really shouldn't be as fortunate as they are.

Last edited by a moderator:
The guy may be lying to try and impress you with his own inability to maintain an engine. Probably has changed the oil some, or the engine would never see those kind of miles.

i dont know i just recently bought a 92 gmc jimmy 4.3 last oil change was 105000 or feb 03 you would not beleve how bad oil looked came out like tar yet it seems to still run ok

28k when he bough it and 144 now with out changing the oil and filter just adding when needed doesn't sound right to me but wont last much longer if thats true. on my 350z i change it round 7k bought it new 40k on it right now, had the intake manifold off 2k ago putting spacer on engine looked brand new. no visible sludge,varnish or anything,i use Mobil 1 0-40 and Mobil 1 filter or wix.get 32 mpg on highway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back