ethanol in gas test kit?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Some one on here told me a simple test.

Just add a few drops of water to a small amount of fuel. Shake it up, and if the water seperates out then it's pure gas. If the water gets absorbed by the fuel then it likely has some percentage of Alcohol(Ethanol) in it.

Originally Posted By: LS2JSTS
Some one on here told me a simple test.

Just add a few drops of water to a small amount of fuel. Shake it up, and if the water seperates out then it's pure gas. If the water gets absorbed by the fuel then it likely has some percentage of Alcohol(Ethanol) in it.

Or use a drop or two of water-based food coloring. If the drop settles to the bottom without mixing, you've got real gas; if the food coloring changes the hue of the fuel, ethanol.

Always take proper precautions when handling gasoline.

Yea, water based food coloring should work. ethanol is a water-drier in itself.....so the ethanol (if any) should "dry up" the water that's added.

But yea, I'm with User Quest on this one.....are you really going to run all over the city "collecting" gas, before positing it from your gas can, to your classic car? Seems kind of time consuming....

Last I seen, WM had a "sta-bil" product marketed for "MARINE" - that's supposed to "negate" ethanol in gasoline....no idea how exactly it works, you'd have to ask a scientist, or STA-BIL that one :) But I'm sure you could use the similar product in your classic car to negate the ehthanol effects.

The water will always separate. The difference is that if there is ethanol the amount of what appears to be water will increase. The increase is because the water draws the ethanol out of the gas.

To test for the presence of ethanol in any clear container put in some water up to some line. Add gas and shake. If the water line moves up there's ethanol. A labeled test kit or a graduated flask allows you to determine the percentage.

Originally Posted By: severach

The water will always separate. The difference is that if there is ethanol the amount of what appears to be water will increase. The increase is because the water draws the ethanol out of the gas.

To test for the presence of ethanol in any clear container put in some water up to some line. Add gas and shake. If the water line moves up there's ethanol. A labeled test kit or a graduated flask allows you to determine the percentage.

Thanks for the correction. Rereading my post, I see the fault. I should have said that the water and the ethanol bind together and show an apparent increase in volume. Sorry for the confusion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back