7500 OCI oil filter

Status
Not open for further replies.
I go 7500 miles on my two cars and have never seen anything that seemed it would restrict flow. YMMV, and I certainly have seen pictures of filters in rough shape. But, as a generalization I imagine any filter can go that distance with everything else functioning correctly.

Honda recommends changing the oil filter every other oil change, and the normal service interval is 7500 miles for my car. Since they don't recommend any particular oil filter over another, they seem to indicate their confidence in the ability of any filter to work sufficiently across a 15,000 mile interval.

That said, there do seem to be mechanical differences between various filters that may or may not have any effect on engine longevity, but certainly there are psychological factors involved in the choosing of a filter in that we want one with a lasting anti-drain back valve, well-crimped seams, metal bypass springs, well-constructed media, non-paper endplate, etc. For those, you can use most of the commonly available brands. The ones that seem to get the most love around here are Wix, Mobil 1, Motorcraft, some AC Delcos, Purolators, Amsoil EaOs, Fram ToughGuards, manufacturer brands, etc. I don't know about Bosch, regular Frams, STP, SuperTechs, Champion, etc., but they are probably also fine for a 15k interval.

Sorry that doesn't really narrow it down, but the gist is that probably anything you choose will more than suffice.

If your engine is clean to start with, a single filter works fine with any of the major quality filters listed above. I've been doing 10K OCIs for 32 years using but one filter with no problems at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back